Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemnoch View Post
    Any table to recommend? I only want to buy 1 or 2.

Oh, I got a the tables in the $1 tier last Humble bundle.

Edit:

For those who want to organized the games by price or discount use: http://www.steamgamesales.com/

There is also a price history there so you will know if its been cheaper before.
    Well, I picked up the Excalibur table awhile back and quite like it. What i got today was the "Balance of the Force" Star Wars pack (three tables for, at least at the time, $2.50). I've not had a lot of time with them, but they seem solid.

If you're wondering what to get, though, be aware that you can "demo" any table you don't own from inside the game. It'll let you play up to a fixed (low) point total, so you can get a sense of things.
    Last edited by vinraith; 19-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Ahh didnt know that! Thanks will try the demo first
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    True. But since the normal discounts run for the whole duration of the sale, it makes sense to delay buying them to the last day of the sale, while keeping an eye on the Dailys.
    What I meant is that there was likely stuff in the Summer sale that was 75% off in a daily, that will be 50% off in a regular sale now, and won't hit the daily. And unless the base price has been dropped, that means it will be more expensive. Likewise, stuff on daily deals in this sale won't necessarily come up again in the next sale. It's not like four years ago when practically the entire Steam catalogue was cycled through 75% off deals in every sale.

Obscure Node
    Ahhh, I had completely forgotten how annoying the community choice-monster is. "Yaay, FTL almost as cheap as it is on Humble every day!"

Pondering Dishonoured GOTY at € 13,59, but I already have quite a few half-started "large" games that need finishing..

Half of the games I have installed on my hard drive right now are 80+ hour games that I've only just started, so I feel almost stupid buying more games. But I still buy.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I'm trying to avoid purchasing this sale, but I did get Aliens: Colonial Marines from Amazon so far. Yes, I know it's supposed to be terrible, but hey... for 2$... it seemed like I could play around with it. And... supposedly they did patch it, so maybe that fixed it? I don't know... we'll see.

I have too many games as it is though, so that's a problem. The only title that I really want this sale, is Enemy Within and an early Christmas Steam Wallet present means that I actually have enough money to get it at 33% if it doesn't go any farther.

Network Hub
    I bought The Stanley Parable, since apparently it's brilliant (and since it's in the daily sale, it'll never be that cheap again during the sale period).

There's not a lot of other things I'd buy currently, though (maybe Enemy Within, if it got discounted by 50% plus...).

Network Hub
    I really am tempted by The Stanley Parable since it seems right up my alley, but I don't know if I want to pay $8 for a game that will probably last me less than 2 hours, especially since I have so many (huge) titles sitting in my backlog.

Obscure Node
    Can anyone recommend Spore? I've been thinking about buying it for years due to a vague Space Rangers 2 comparison, and it's 75% off for the next 40 minutes or so on a flash sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qabal View Post
    Can anyone recommend Spore? I've been thinking about buying it for years due to a vague Space Rangers 2 comparison, and it's 75% off for the next 40 minutes or so on a flash sale.
    If you at all were interested in the hype, skip it.

That being said, it had interesting moments. The first stage (amoeba?) is pretty fun. Everything else is basically horrid until you get to the space exploration stage (endgame) which ends up being really fun again. Watch a few youtubes to see why, but the middle stages are basically poorly implemented mini-games that go on for WAY too long.

It isn't a particularly good game, but for a fiver it might be worth a shot, if only to see how a great idea can go horribly wrong.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

That being said, it had interesting moments. The first stage (amoeba?) is pretty fun. Everything else is basically horrid until you get to the space exploration stage (endgame) which ends up being really fun again. Watch a few youtubes to see why, but the middle stages are basically poorly implemented mini-games that go on for WAY too long.

It isn't a particularly good game, but for a fiver it might be worth a shot, if only to see how a great idea can go horribly wrong.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll pass on this one. If I wanted to play poorly implemented mini games, I'd just play games on my phone...

Obscure Node
    The 'Community's Choice' just updated. Did anyone else notice that Hard Reset listed at 85% off during the vote, but is only 75% off now that it's on sale?

edit: Nevermind, they already fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by valuum View Post
    Ahhh, I had completely forgotten how annoying the community choice-monster is. "Yaay, FTL almost as cheap as it is on Humble every day!" Pondering Dishonoured GOTY at € 13,59, but I already have quite a few half-started "large" games that need finishing..
    I have a very simple system: I always vote for the thing on the right. Apparently a lot of other people do this, because thus far the thing on the right has won every time IIRC. If you want to blame someone, blame Valve for incentivizing people to vote on these things when they have no investment whatsoever in the outcome.

In my experience people will always vote for the cheapest thing unless it's something with a name. Baldur's Gate, for example, will always win such polls.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I have a very simple system: I always vote for the thing on the right. Apparently a lot of other people do this, because thus far the thing on the right has won every time IIRC. If you want to blame someone, blame Valve for incentivizing people to vote on these things when they have no investment whatsoever in the outcome.
    The aforementioned Hard Reset just won, and it was most assuredly placed on the left. It also had the highest discount (85%).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I would probably buy Tomb Raider for $5, but apart from that, I can't think of anything I would want. I'm sure something will surprise me though.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

The aforementioned Hard Reset just won, and it was most assuredly placed on the left. It also had the highest discount (85%).
    Interesting. It was on the right for me, so apparently the order in which games are displayed is randomized, eliminating any possibility that it's a geometric pattern. That's not really a surprise, surely Anthile's explanation is the most sensible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

That's a good summary. I will add that while the actual game bit of the middle three stages is fairly wretched, if you're getting random player-created content downloads* you can see some incredible sights. The things players managed with the content creation system is incredible. Your creature lopes over a hill to spot a family of chairs grazing in the valley. A UFO looking exactly like the TF2 Sandvich descends from the sky and starts abducting them. You run, but over the next hill you encounter an enormous monster in the form of a bunch of grapes. That sort of thing.

*Does this still work? If you're stuck with the default stuff that comes with the game no way is it worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    I really am tempted by The Stanley Parable since it seems right up my alley, but I don't know if I want to pay $8 for a game that will probably last me less than 2 hours, especially since I have so many (huge) titles sitting in my backlog.
    It depends on what your metric of ejoyment is.
    I bought it on release (living with little spare money for games) and I don't regret it. It might be short but it's a fantastic experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for the reply. I'll pass on this one. If I wanted to play poorly implemented mini games, I'd just play games on my phone...
    Get the free creature creator. It's at least half of what the game is about, and the only really good part. :)