Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Recommendations:

Crysis series - 1 is a great mostly non-linear FPS where you have tons of options as to not only how you go about reaching your objective, but also how you complete it once you're there. I go against the tide and enjoy the second half of the game, which is a little more focused in terms of being a bit more linear. Warhead is still open, but again quite linear. Abilities are a little more stream-lined. Whilst 2 is a heavily linear 'military' FPS, I still found it highly enjoyable, if not with a highly forgettable plot. All three were highly enjoyable as they boasted solid shooting and general minute-to-minute action. 1 and Warhead are strongly recommended, whilst 2 is recommended but not as strongly.

Total War series - If Medieval 2 is where things start to get really detailed, Shogun 2 is where it gets really quite deep, but boasts a lot more 'stuff' going on than its mod friendly predecessor. Both enjoyable in their own right though and preference should probably go to the setting. Considering how wealthy the series is in terms of options, you probably already know if you want to get in to it or not by now though.

Final Fantasy 7 - Sigh. I mean, it has an engrossing story and the magic/'materia' system is quite good, but I'm not sure if it totally holds up now. That said, there's some good challenge in optional bosses, a story that at the very least will keep you interested and some fun characters to engage with. If you were to get either of the FFs on Steam, I'd go for this one.

Hard Reset - Basing this solo on the demo, whilst the shooting is very fun, movement doesn't feel very satisfying and seems more like a hindrance. In comparison to Serious Sam where you always feel like you're in control of your character in precise steps, I felt like the movement lagged behind where you wanted to be going.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    It depends on what your metric of ejoyment is.
    I bought it on release (living with little spare money for games) and I don't regret it. It might be short but it's a fantastic experience.
    Might have to grab it then. I'm hoping like it'll be similar to how I reacted to Gone Home; I only got an hour-ish out of the game for around $10, but I feel it was worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Ooooh. Blade Symphony for 3 bucks. Got a real ChaosUT/JK2 on Wuss Mode vibe from that, and 3 bucks is definitely worth giving it a shot.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Ooooh. Blade Symphony for 3 bucks. Got a real ChaosUT/JK2 on Wuss Mode vibe from that, and 3 bucks is definitely worth giving it a shot.
    I'm looking at that one myself. I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on it. I COULD pony up the 3 bucks and try it myself, but I'm not exactly made out of money here...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qabal View Post
    I'm looking at that one myself. I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on it. I COULD pony up the 3 bucks and try it myself, but I'm not exactly made out of money here...
    Played a brief bit before I go pass out for the day. Definitely fun, and I like the combination of player character and weapon. I am just not sure how balanced this will be, as I can already see some classes dominating others.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

For anyone looking at Papers, Please on the current Steam flash sale at 4.49 euro, it may be cheaper over on the Humble store at $4.99 depending on currency issues. Humble's current deal lasts about another eight hours.

I highly recommend the game. It's an unsettling take on the life of a border guard in a Soviet-style People's Democratic Republic. Funny and bleak at the same time.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

I still haven't bought anything... None of 21 games in my wishlist has reached the 75 % mark... Disappointing but also a relief for my wallet :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I still haven't bought anything
    Same. About the only thing that interests me is 'Remember me' but that's largely because of the aesthetics. The game play isn't supposedly that great. So yeah 70-75% off and I might bite, but otherwise nothing is shouting out 'buy' to me.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Recommendation - Bulletstorm: I'm a sucker for things being overtly stupid and dumb, so long as the intelligence behind it makes it enjoyable dumb rather than "Oh, wow yeah, this is just straight up stupid and a waste", so I'll say that the zealous swearing is brilliant and the characters humorous. I think the aesthetics are great and it is a lovely game to see in motion and that on top of that, the gun-play is largely very satisfying.

My problem with Bulletstorm that I feel is not insignificant is two-fold. In an attempt to buck the trend of modern linear FPS, its linearity is just as bad and despite the fact it lampshades it and covers it up with witty characters and bombastic action, it falls foul of the same traps it lampoons. Secondly, the arcade style points system ends up becoming something more akin to a chore. It hampers creativity in many respects because whilst you get more points for doing more creative things, they're either very hard to pull off for whatever reason or the knowledge of what you need to do is made so unclear that you could try any number of things and still get rewarded the same base points as another action you know of. For me, I ended up doing the same pattern of moves because they worked and it was clear that it worked.

I feel that Bulletstorm is a good purchase if you've actively been wanting it, but if you're just looking at it now and going "Well, it is greatly reduced," I don't think I could heavily endorse it. Overall it was enjoyable but okay. If you want FPS that have superior gun-play or more openness, there are other titles I would recommend first.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    If you want FPS that have superior gun-play or more openness, there are other titles I would recommend first.
    Like what?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I don't see Metal Gear, here in Ireland at all, only the trailer shows up on search. Is it just Ireland that its blocked in? Also with Dead Island, why are they pointing to the old one and not the new one?

Should I get the Brigmore Witches? I enjoyed the knife, but thought it faded to too much out and out fighting towards the end.
    Knife was excellent. Really, really good. The writing, the characterization. The level design was handled very well. Everything about Knife felt great. Even the writing. But at the last, it did force confrontation a little too much.

And if that bothered you, then avoid Brigmore altogether. Let it end with Knife.

Brigmore is the first introduction to magical enemies in this world. And its an annoying introduction. They warp all over the screen during fights, constantly throw projectiles and seem really, really adept at spotting you and FORCING confrontation. Which makes the last level even more annoying, as its not really built for Stealth to begin, and the overwhelming number of annoying magical enemies makes what would already have been a challenge into an absurdity.

Not to mention, Brigmore's writing seem...stretched. As if they struggled to fill it with enough actual content to get a "full" DLC out of it. Where Knife featured a well written, well paced short story, Brigmore features whole maps/missions that are straight up padding, like:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Slight Spoiler>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    At one point, you need a ship to leave the city. Of course, the person who owns the ship is no longer in control of it. Which fact you learn only after a mission to go see that person. Meaning you go see someone else. Who could give you a lift, but of course, needs an engine part. Meaning a whole other mission and map, jut to get an engine part. And its not even a GOOD map. These are the rather inane missions that comprise the bulk of Brigmore.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<END SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    tl;dr: If you don't mind gimicky fights against annoying, projectile throwing, warping enemies (in groups, no less) and their near invincible pet dogs, then Brigmore is...okay. At best. But if forced combat and narrative "padding" get on your nerves, avoid it and let the well written and well paced Knife of Dunwall tell the tale. You will likely be glad you did so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Same. About the only thing that interests me is 'Remember me' but that's largely because of the aesthetics. The game play isn't supposedly that great. So yeah 70-75% off and I might bite, but otherwise nothing is shouting out 'buy' to me.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    Like what?
    F.E.A.R. 1 and its expansions boast the best gun-play I've experienced in a game, bar none. The sequel is good, but the original is better. That said, the first is quite repetitive with level design, but the AI should keep you on your toes as you slow-motion shotgun people to glorious gibs. There's also the Serious Sam games which perhaps don't have great weapon feedback but provide a real sense of freedom of movement, with First Encounter being great, Second fantastic and 3 pretty good. Crysis 1 and Warhead also supply meaty gun-play with the most open means of objective completion out of the games I've listed so far. 2 is obviously more linear and self-serious, but still has good shoot-banging.

I guess they'd be my go-to recommendations, but then you have games like Borderlands and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series too.