All Frostbite engine games locking PC after 15 minutes...

Humph.

I only have 3 but they're some of my most played, BF3, BF:BC2 and MoH. Things I have tried...

Update sound/video drivers
    Remove Punkbuster and manually re-install it
    Change audio properties down to 41000 Hz

Without fail, any of those games will lock my PC, forcing a hard reset. 15 mins tops.

There isn't much Googles when searching for problems with Frostbite, but if you search the individual games there's a decent amount. Most say to try the things I've already tried. The general consensus would appear to be the purchase of a dedicated sound card, rather than relying on my integrated Realtek. But why has this only started happening in the last few days? No drivers were changed.

Any clues?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To be sure it's the soundcard causing the problem - disable your soundcard entirely and see if the game works...

You can do this either by disabling it in the BIOS or through Device Manager - either way, you have no soundcard for it to crash with - so if it still crashes, it's not that.

I assume you've checked temps too? 15-20 mins is usually how long it takes a dusty PC to overheat playing a high-end game ;)

How sure are you it's only Frostbite games?

100%. Far Cry 3, AC4, Chivalry, TF2 all run fine.

Tried disabling the sound card and it worked, no crash, but kinda besides the point. The sound card isn't faulty, it's drivers remain the same. I just don't get it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    To be sure it's the soundcard causing the problem - disable your soundcard entirely and see if the game works...

You can do this either by disabling it in the BIOS or through Device Manager - either way, you have no soundcard for it to crash with - so if it still crashes, it's not that.

I assume you've checked temps too? 15-20 mins is usually how long it takes a dusty PC to overheat playing a high-end game ;)
    I would look into this. Had a friend who was getting crashes several minutes into nearly every round of BF4. He found out his CPU temp was extremely high, and got an aftermarket cooler, which fixed the issue immediately. BF3 is most likely a fair bit more taxing on your rig than things like AC4 and TF2.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I would look into this. Had a friend who was getting crashes several minutes into nearly every round of BF4. He found out his CPU temp was extremely high, and got an aftermarket cooler, which fixed the issue immediately. BF3 is most likely a fair bit more taxing on your rig than things like AC4 and TF2.
    ^this.

Also open up your machine and dust it with some compressed air.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Done.

It's not heat, CPU maxes at 56C during BF3 and GPU at around 75C.
    Last edited by FurryLippedSquid; 20-12-2013 at 06:38 PM.