Hybrid View

UK ISP recommendations

Hello,

Looking for any recommendations for ISPs as I'm moving to a non-cabled area next week (so no Virgin Media for me).

Not a massive downloader except for Steam and the occasional TV series, so download caps should hopefully not be an issue but I would have a problem with being throttled in the evenings.

Anyone want to offer a suggestion?
    I still love you.

Well, this might not be terribly useful as a suggestion, but I too am on Virgin and moving to a non-cabled area next week, and I'm just changing to Virgin's national broadband (wot comes through your phone line).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Be get rave reviews, they aren't the cheapest however.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Be get rave reviews, they aren't the cheapest however.
    This. Yet to find an ISP with better customer service.

They have a shared infrastructure with O2, though; and if you're an existing O2 customer there are some stonkingly awesome deals out their if you get there broadband too.
    Last edited by Estel; 02-09-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: wtgrammar

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Estel View Post
    They have a shared infrastructure with O2, though; and if you're an existing O2 customer there are some stonkingly awesome deals out their if you get their broadband too.
    Yeah, my brother's phone is on an O2 contract so we got a decent deal for our internet. Could be worth looking into for those who use O2 already.

I was with ADSL24 for several years without issue. Again not always the cheapest, but was very stable and decent speeds.

Highly reccomend Plusnet, they have excellent customer service and i've always been very pleased with the speeds I get. They are very open about their throttling, in contrast to other ISPs who will stealth throttle you.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...d_speeds.shtml

Banned
    BT = Fucking terribad but amazing routers
    Sky = Terrible routers but half-decent service

Claranet SOHO does a decent package, mainly on their "part-time gamer" stuff. It says prioritised traffic on the more expensive one, but gaming mainly occurs during the night and - since it's mainly a business ISP - it's completely empty. Only issue is you can only do major downloads during the evenings (6PM to 8AM, I believe) and weekends.

Also, no throttling. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    We're on Sky, and we're having no issues at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    We're on Sky, and we're having no issues at all.
    I'm on Sky and my speed varies from about 3Mb/s to 9Mb/s, we're paying for 20. Support is useless, and the router has a terrible wireless signal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I'm on Sky and my speed varies from about 3Mb/s to 9Mb/s, we're paying for 20. Support is useless, and the router has a terrible wireless signal.
    I tend to get 500KB/s as a top download speed, 300-400 as average. We have unlimited.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    I tend to get 500KB/s as a top download speed, 300-400 as average. We have unlimited.
    That's about what I get, you'd expect about 2.5MB/s max with 20Mb bandwidth, although in practice 1-2MB/s would be more likely unless you're right next to the exchange. Dunno what bandwidth you pay for but mine is about 1/4 of advertised most of the time. Not an ISP I'd recommend.

I'll second/third O2 - I've had hassle-free service from them, and nice, stable broadband. And UK call centres.

After the nth level of hell in the past that was dealing with TalkTalk though, being spat in the face and given a string and two tin cans would probably seem wonderful to be honest.

Obscure Node
    O2 or Be.

Excellent speeds, good price.

I'm with TalkTalk Business.. started out back when they were Nildram, then they went through a quick succession of name-changes. The performance is good, though I can't really recommend it in general terms as they have a long minimum contract.

Ok, so I'm thinking of doing a sky package, with BB, phone and TV in the dealio, anyone else got any experience with using Sky for their ISP?
    I still love you.