Network Hub

Effective for the price graphics card replacements for dying card?

Hello chaps,

After 6 or so years of stalwart service, my loyal 8800GT is finally dying (of what I suspect to be failing thermal transfer compound).

Now, I could try taking off the fan and heatsink assembly, cleaning off the paste and giving it a nice coat of Arctic Silver (or whatever overpriced compound is currently the popular choice), and hoping it springs back into life... but this also seems like a perfect opportunity to get a slightly newer card.

I don't particularly want to spend more than 100 on a new (or slightly second hand) card, and I don't think I should need to, considering I'm using a single monitor setup at less than 1080p (I'm perfectly happy at 1400x900, thanks).

So, good burghers of RPS, what would your (reasonably priced) graphics card replacement recommendations be?

Network Hub
    I haven't looked at these in detail recently, so this may not be entirely accurate.

The HD7770 and 7790 are getting on but still have reasonable performance for a low price. The R7 2xx series launched recently and are largely replacements for those models, with similar performance. You may find the older ones better value as they're cleared out or second hand.

The NVidia 600 series is similar in performance and the 650+ get the new NVidia toys like Shadowplay and G-Sync. I think they're more expensive than the AMD cards above.

The standard 650 ptobably fits the budget, but the best of those is the 650 Ti Boost - it costs about 135 though and might actually be overkill for that class.

Here's a quick list of what's available in that pricerange:
    http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_51...1_GDDR5#xf_top

What are your other specs?

In general I agree with Goateh though, the 77x0s might be a good starting point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you shop hard you'll find a 650 Ti Boost for a little over 100 and that's your best option here.

if it's too much cash or if you prefer AMD - the 7790 doesn't lag far behind and they're usually a bit cheaper, I've seen the odd one under 100.

Get a 2Gb card tho - don't scrimp on a 1Gb, you'll regret that sooner rather than later.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    The standard 650 ptobably fits the budget, but the best of those is the 650 Ti Boost - it costs about 135 though and might actually be overkill for that class.

Here's a quick list of what's available in that pricerange:
    http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_51...1_GDDR5#xf_top

What are your other specs?
    Ironically, my other specs are pretty good/average for a new machine (I upgraded most of the rest of my PC only a few months ago, mainly because I do a lot of photo and video editing on it, and the original specs (2GB ram etc) were becoming increasingly untenable). So, it's a a mix of bits old and new: new mid-range Haswell i5, 8GB RAM, a bunch of hard disks of various sizes less than 500GB(!), and a 600W PSU. I (perhaps foolishly) decided to save some money at the time by keeping the old 8800GT, since it's still a pretty decent card for most games... but I don't really have enough funds to spend on upgrading it to something equivalently spiffy as my CPU.

I was vaguely tempted by the nVidia 650 Ti Boost, but wasn't sure about the cost-benefit over the 7790 and 7850 (which seem to bracket it, and look like they've dropped in price recently). It looked to me like the sweet spot was probably a second-hand 650 Ti, since presumably people are now upgrading to the 700-series cards?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The 650 Ti was never an amazing card - it would need to be REALLY cheap to offset the 15-25% boost that the "Boost" got I think?

If you were looking at used cards, far better find a 7850 or something 'pokier' I think - 7850s have been around a while, are pretty decent and are often 'sensible' prices (tho you're risking getting a card which is knackered of course).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    If you shop hard you'll find a 650 Ti Boost for a little over 100 and that's your best option here.

if it's too much cash or if you prefer AMD - the 7790 doesn't lag far behind and they're usually a bit cheaper, I've seen the odd one under 100.

Get a 2Gb card tho - don't scrimp on a 1Gb, you'll regret that sooner rather than later.
    The 7850 is just as fast as the 650 Ti Boost, and currently cheaper and more easily available.

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    I was vaguely tempted by the nVidia 650 Ti Boost, but wasn't sure about the cost-benefit over the 7790 and 7850 (which seem to bracket it, and look like they've dropped in price recently). It looked to me like the sweet spot was probably a second-hand 650 Ti, since presumably people are now upgrading to the 700-series cards?
    In terms of performance, roughly speaking, 650 Ti Boost = 7850 and 650 Ti = 7790 = R7 260X.

Network Hub
    Cheers, everyone.

I shall keep an eye out on 650 Ti Boost (although the prices seem bad for them at the moment) and 7790/7850 prices over the next week or two.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One other facter with 7850s is they're usually MASSIVE cards - not every case will take one (my case would have struggled) so check sizes and space available before you leap.

650 Ti Boosts and 7790s are much more compact (also use less power and generate less heat)

7850s are great value for money but they're also power sucking/heat making monsters...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Can easily find 7790s for under 100. Not sure that's true of the other suggestions, unless they've dropped in price recently.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    One other facter with 7850s is they're usually MASSIVE cards - not every case will take one (my case would have struggled) so check sizes and space available before you leap.

650 Ti Boosts and 7790s are much more compact (also use less power and generate less heat)

7850s are great value for money but they're also power sucking/heat making monsters...
    The 7850s aren't all that big. Size varies from model to model; some manufacturers use the same cooler on both the 7850 and 7790, making them equally large. But in general, the 7790 and 650 Ti Boost will be a little smaller. Anyway, any half-decent ATX case will fit any of these cards with ease. It's only really an issue when you go mITX.

And the 7850s aren't exactly power sucking monsters either. 130W TDP is not obscene. But the 7790 is more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Can easily find 7790s for under 100. Not sure that's true of the other suggestions, unless they've dropped in price recently.
    There's a 7850 sitting right at 100, which is just a few quid above the cheapest 7790.