Activated Node

Will the NVIDIA GTX650Ti 1GB be capable of playing the next gen of games at 720p+?

I have no idea what the NVIDIA GTX650Ti 1GB is capable of, not even looking into it for myself. Friend's budget is no more than 150. Of course, if there's no point buying it then there'll be a rethink on the price.

The NVIDIA GTX650Ti 1GB (or 2GB) seems like a good fit, but will it be able to handle the influx of PS4 and Xbox One games, or is that not known yet? My friend will be playing through a TV that only goes to 1080p anyway, and will likely be completely happy with 720p. I don't think she's that bothered about AA either, just so long as the framerate is 30+ and the game doesn't look like arse. (Arse being textures and models set low).

The rest of the computer specs are good, it was a bought as a very good gaming PC two years ago, but the existing card died. 8GB Ram, I don't know what the processor is, but it's whatever was the recommended one at the time.

Thanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    650 Ti's have effectively been replaced by 650 Ti Boosts - which are pretty decent cards and will do most of what you'd need upto 1080p.

They're the best cards under 150 barring the odd misprice or selloff - I'm using one - certainly I'd expect my (dual) core CPU to choke before it does.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The 650 Ti Boost is not a replacement for the 650 Ti, it's a more expensive card. It's a hybrid between the 650 Ti and the 660.
    The main improvement is a wider memory interface. This is more important the higher the resolution. So for 720p the basic 650 Ti could be sufficient. Not at 1080p though.

As for running games at 720p on a 1080p TV, that's going to give bad picture quality.

Edit: In fact, the supply of GTX 650 Ti Boost seems to be drying up. There are only 2 models on pcpartpicker (vs. 12 different basic GTX 650 Ti's).
    Last edited by Sakkura; 22-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Activated Node
    Thanks for the replies. She already plays Xbox 360 at 720 on that TV and it looks fine, I pla mainly at 720 on my 1080p monitor for that matter and I don't notice anything particularly poor about the picture.

My main concern is will the 650 ti boost (I meant Boost, I just forgot to write it) is will it be capable of running console ports once they switch from being based on PS3 to PS4 in HD. Currently my friend is leaning towards getting something cheap that will work for the current games, but I'm thinking there's no point if by this time next year nothing will run again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I'd advise your friend to hold out for a higher spec card, preferably one with more RAM than 1GB. Give it a couple of months and try and nab a 760 as they should likely come down in price.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The 650 Ti Boost is not a replacement for the 650 Ti, it's a more expensive card..
    WHen I got mine they were new to market and took-up the same pricepoint that Tis had taken the month before - my only real choice was whether to get a 650 Ti Boost or a discounted 7850 and in the end I thought I get the 2Gb 650 Ti Boost over a 1Gb 7850 for slightly more cash.

The PC market is weird atm tho - prices are all-over-the-place and I suspect manufs are sitting on stock they want cleared and so you need to tread carefully.

As for 'futureproofing' - that's a hard thing to do because you never know what's coming next. All you can say is that a 7850 is all the GPU anyone needs for single-monitor gaming and a 650 Ti Boost isn't far behind it.

The odds that gaming will leap forward and demand a better card - and not also demand a better CPU/Memory and other bits - are pretty small...

My only qualm with this is that nVidia's Surround (multi monitor) sucks-balls compared to ATI's solution - it's super-picky about your monitors to the extent that it's almost pointless - but if you don't care about that (and few people do)...

Obscure Node
    Amazing video card, a buddy of mine just upgraded to one from a HD 5770, and we've been playing crysis online, hes on medium at 1080p so next gen games at 720p??? Not a problem unless you plan on running the high settings for textures, need more than 1gb of vram.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    My Ati HD5770 is still capable of handling Battlefield 4. The GTX650 is quite a bit faster, so it should be able to handle next gen games at your stated resolution just fine. Heck, it will probably do 1080P just fine too, esp. if you have the 2 gb verison.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    My Ati HD5770 is still capable of handling Battlefield 4. The GTX650 is quite a bit faster, so it should be able to handle next gen games at your stated resolution just fine. Heck, it will probably do 1080P just fine too, esp. if you have the 2 gb verison.
    The GTX 650 isn't much faster than the HD 5770. But the GTX 650 Ti is.