Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Let's go Bundle Scraping...

I know I'm not alone here - there are games you've gotten from bundles which you've never played and you feel a bit guilty about that.

It might just be because they have Trading Cards which are worth 'Gabedollars' - it might be because you really fancied them at the time or it could just be because you're a completist.

Whatever your motivation, this is the thread where you 'scrape the bottom of your bundle barrel' for things you've acquired and never played - play them - report back and tell us what happened.

I'll start with a "fish in a barrel"

Wooden Sen'Sey
    It's possibly my WGOTY (Worst Game of the Year) - it looks OK but the combat is appalling, the collisions and platforming are ropey, combat sounds are naff and some of the design decisions are just, plain bizarre.

"Jump on my spikey head to remove my spikey headwear" makes no sense whatsoever.
    "Attack me until I drop my spikey headwear and then jump on my head" makes sense but that's not what happens here...

Now, roll on your bundle scraping reports because Wooden Sensey was a poor use of an hour of my time!!
    Last edited by trjp; 27-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Weird... Do you lurk in the RPS Steam chat or something? Maybe you go by a different name there? I was talking about this very thing last night. I have games I didn't even know I owned so I made a new category in my library for everything Steam tells me I've never touched, so far today I've played:

Papers, Please
    Played for an hour, awesome game.

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
    Since I played Serious Sam 3 first, this just feels too old and shonky for me.
    Last edited by neema_t; 30-01-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No I'm not a chat lurker - just a coinkydink I think :)

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Hmm... this is an interesting thought... I just don't know how to choose what I would play on this one. Since I have such a huge backlog anyway, it's not like I have just a few to choose from.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Let's see.

Alan Wake bundle - I didn't even redeemed keys.
    Latest Zeno Clash bundle - see above.
    Spiderweb games bundle - I've bought it for $3, because while I'm not interested with long 2D RPGs, that guy who makes them is my hero.
    Brutal Legend
    Fez
    FTL 2x - I once bought it when there was promotion on Humble Bundle, then it must creeped in in some bundle. Dunno which one.
    Mark Of The Ninja
    Shank 1 & 2
    Battlefield 3 and other games from EA bundle.
    Company of Heroes
    Darksiders
    Sam & Max season 3 (I've started playing first episode but didn't finished it)
    Saint's Row 3

And that's only from Humble Bundle. Jesuschrist, I shouldn't buy more, ever.

EDIT: AND Kalypso and Team 17 bundles.
    Last edited by GameCat; 23-12-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Some more:

The Basement Collection
    Yeah, all decent games, but nothing too engaging. I liked the one with the pukey guy. Spewer, was it?

Dungeon Hearts
    Kind of like 10,000,000 in that it's an RPG roguelike which borrows its main mechanic from a completely different kind of game (pretty much Columns), it was fun but my brain isn't fast enough. Made it to the first boss and died.

A Virus Named Tom
    Pretty good, not really my kind of thing.

Autonomous (Double Fine Prototype)
    Meh. Didn't get it.

Greed Corp.
    Not my thing at all. Played the tutorial, gave up.

Costume Quest Prototype
    Pretty sure it broke during my brief time with it, I might play the actual game soon though. Seems reasonably inoffensive.

That's it so far.
    Last edited by neema_t; 20-01-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I keep skipping bundles with legitimately good games in them out of a sense of silent protest against the horse turd thrown in with it.

I'm Wierd.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Oh, I like this idea. And technically I am playing something from a bundle, thought it's a bit of a cheat, since it's not scraping the bottom of the barrel by any means... so consider it just a little test to see if I'm motivated to continue the format:

Batman: Arkham Origins

TIME PLAYED: 24 hours
    BOUGHT FROM: Humble Bundle
    VERDICT: Very good. Very good indeed. I still found the first game (Arkham Asylum) to be a tighter experience overall, while City sometimes risked overstaying its welcome, but that may be my own fatigue due to playing them back to back. Waaaaay too many Riddler secrets and other varied doodads to collect/destroy/investigate throughout the city, so I sort of ignored them without remorse. After finishing the game I'm still eager to continue playing just to complete the "main" side missions, so I think that clinches it - despite any reservations, it's a great game.

Some more:

The Bard's Tale
    Must've come from a bundle because I wouldn't voluntarily spend money on a game like this. First of all, it had that horrible medieval fantasy-like feel to it that I hate, then there was the poorly-voiced Scottish (maybe she was Irish, I forget) barmaid-type woman whose massively exaggerated chest was all the way out for no apparent reason, then... Oh god... There was singing. This was the game that prompted me to make a 'Hidden' category.

Dungeon Defenders
    Not my kind of thing at all. Pretty much a (urgh) fantasy version of Sanctum 2 without towers (as far as I could tell).

Kairo
    Pretty interesting, I'm not sure if this was from a bundle or not but it kind of reminded me of the bits in Neon Genesis Evangelion when stuff went really mad. I'd like to say I'll play more of it, but I know I'll probably get sidetracked.

Hero Academy
    I had to sign up for an account for something to play, so I didn't.

Incredipede

This was actually a great game, I wasn't expecting to like it very much. But then I melted Quozzle's legs off and died and it made me sad so I quit.

Eets Munchies
    Has 'iOS game' written all over it, I played a few levels just to make sure and yeah, not my kind of thing.

Blades of Time
    Posh-sounding English woman wearing very little, jumping around whilst defeating evil (possibly) and finding treasure. Fuck it.

Burn Zombie Burn
    A pretty generic 'twin stick' (in quotation marks because I used a mouse and keyboard) horde shooter, I felt like I'd played it before. I hadn't, it's just very similar to most games of that genre.
    Forge
    Pretty sure this is an online thing that you have to get really in to to get any fun out of. I didn't, so I didn't.

Lucius
    This seems to be pretty good, kind of like the Tranquility Lane part of Fallout 3 turned into an entire game, or a Hitman game where 47 is replaced by an 8-year-old spawn of Satan.

Off-Road Drive
    I had played this before, but I felt like I might've not given it a proper chance and judged it too harshly. I hadn't, it really does suck.

Well, it's safe to say we have very different views on a few of these:

The Bard's Tale: I played it back in the PS2 era, loved the sense of humor and even the dumb singing. Reasonably good action, too.

Dungeon Defenders: it definitely has lots of towers, maybe the interface tricked you? It's a great take on the same mesh of action + tower defense that Sanctum has, though they kind of irked me off a little when they started churning out updates to try and insert an "MMO endgame" to it and people farmed some levels feverishly to buy the best weapons in the auctions, Diablo 2 style. I don't know how things are nowadays, though.

Hero Academy: Very fun to play, especially on mobiles, as long as you have a couple not-that-skilled friends to practice with.

Yeah, the whole fantasy* thing doesn't really work for me and I will admit I'm probably so blinkered by my dislike for that aesthetic that I won't give such games a chance unless they grab me immediately. The Bard's Tale, urgh, maybe it was trying to be amusing in the beginning but just hearing that guy's voice when I was speccing my character put me right off. Also, singing, can't stand singing in games, films or TV programmes. I alt-F4'd when I spoke to the drunk guys in the tavern and they started fucking singing.

As for Dungeon Defenders, I did skip the tutorial (because I tend to get tutorial fatigue when I play a lot of games in a short space of time) and it did seem like there were supposed to be towers, but in any case I'd rather play Sanctum or even Orcs Must Die, which itself didn't entertain me as much as Sanctum 2 did.

*Swords, dragons, wizards, elves, anything that looks like it might be from Lord of the Rings, orcs, etc. I made a rare exception for Dark Souls.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I actually set up a streaming account tonight for this very purpose. The thought that someone might actually want to watch me play/struggle through the awful games I've accumulated is a pretty good motivator, even if nobody actually does. Or at least, it prevents me from minimizing the game for half an hour while I dick around the internet and distract myself until I no longer want to play it. Found a few hidden "gems" so far:

Viking: Battle for Asgard: As I've mentioned before, I genuinely rather like this game. I think that a sequel would've been a truly amazing experience. Shame it got smeared so hard on release.

Clive Barker's Jericho:
    Oh man. This game is amazing. The dialogue is the absolute worst-written thing I've ever encountered in a game, the character's backstories are hackneyed, offensively stereotyped and idiotic, and as if that weren't enough it's got Steve Blum doing his yelling voice. I followed Helio's advice and downloaded a savegame with the cheats enabled because this game has the absolute worst quick-time events I've ever seen. Auto-QTE might just be my new favorite thing ever.

Ninja Blade:
    Did I say that Jericho had the worst QTE's ever? I've just gone and made myself a liar, because the QTE's in Ninja Blade never fucking end. Luckily, the options menu has a "Foolproof" setting for them so I never even have to think about them. You can hit any button regardless of the one on screen and the game will continue regardless. Even still, the game has an abundance of "run away from the collapsing floor" sections that are incredibly aggravating. The payoff, however, is absolutely worth the frustration:

I can't help but giggle at the incredibly ridiculous cutscenes.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Luckily, the options menu has a "Foolproof" setting for them so I never even have to think about them. You can hit any button — regardless of the one on screen — and the game will continue regardless.
    This should be mandatory by law. Or as a requirement to get into Steam. Either of those would do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I remember the horror of Resident Evil 4 PC QTE sequences where you had to press "6 + 5" which in my case was something like l.shift+space or e+l.ctrl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I've been meaning to do this, but there is a paralyzing multitude of choices for me. Maybe I will muster the courage sometime over Christmas Vacation, because this thread is a great idea. :D
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I've been meaning to do this, but there is a paralyzing multitude of choices for me. Maybe I will muster the courage sometime over Christmas Vacation, because this thread is a great idea. :D
    I think I'm subconsciously going for the 'lighter' games (i.e. I have yet to touch a point & click or AAA game) and ones I'm pretty sure I'll dislike (probably not the healthiest approach) so I can get through my backlog faster. Also getting people to give you a random letter to help you choose a game can help.

More games:

Anna - Extended Edition
    Pretty, but I got stuck before I even got into the house at the start so I gave up. Seemed a bit clunky and confusing.

BRAZEN Prototype
    I appreciated that the monster seemed to be a digital representation of one of those old old films with stop-motion animation overlayed on live action, like the original Godzilla or even like ED-209 in Robocop, I don't think I've ever seen that before. Otherwise it was too unfinished for me to make any sense of.

Crayon Physics Deluxe
    Played a very similar iOS game a while back. Fun enough but not really a must-play.

Jagged Alliance - Back In Action
    I think I could get into this. The only reason I stopped playing was because it crashed.

The Swapper
    Amazing. I honestly didn't think it would live up to the hype and expected it to be yet another indie platformer with a unique puzzle gimmick, which it is, but the gimmick is really nicely done. It reminds me of the more interesting parts of Dead Space (i.e. the totally cliche psychological sub-sub-plot and the back story told through hallucinations and logs you find).

Stacking
    Actually quite nice, but I didn't like the constant cutscenes. I think in 19 minutes of play I controlled my guy for a total of 5 minutes.

Gish
    Bah.

Dark Fall: Lost Souls
    Interesting but a little too cryptic. I like Myst so the presentation didn't put me off as I imagine it might do some people, but after spending ages trying to work out how you take the lid off of a box I just didn't feel like playing more today. I don't dislike it, though.

Skydrift
    I've only done the tutorial, but it seems like a decent Wipeout alternative. Ok, it's nowhere near as fast and you have the whole altitude thing, but you have weapons and you're racing, so whatever. I only stopped playing because I 'get it' and want to move on to something else I don't 'get' yet.

Obscure Node
    A Valley Without Wind 1 & 2
    Both far too much of a mess. They might have some interesting ideas but it's hidden behind terrible controls and interface.

Ancients of Ooga
    A reasonable good platformer. Nothing special though.

Angelica Weaver: Catch Me if You Can
    Hidden object games really are terrible

Aquaria
    Pretty little game, quite enjoyable.

The Bards Tale
    Reskinned Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance (the console action RPG). Humour is crass but occasionally funny.

Closure
    Mind bending puzzler platformer where objects don’t exist without light. Intriguing.

Dark Fall: Lost Souls
    Rubbish. Myst like game, using some terribly naff horror tropes. Looks life it came from the 90's and has the most painfully slow camera.

Dungeon Hearts
    Bit of an odd one. Like a cross between Guitar Hero and Bejewelled. You have to line up coloured blocks which are moving across the screen. Frantic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Clive Barker's Jericho: Oh man. This game is amazing. The dialogue is the absolute worst-written thing I've ever encountered in a game, the character's backstories are hackneyed, offensively stereotyped and idiotic, and as if that weren't enough it's got Steve Blum doing his yelling voice. I followed Helio's advice and downloaded a savegame with the cheats enabled because this game has the absolute worst quick-time events I've ever seen. Auto-QTE might just be my new favorite thing ever.
    The fact Mercury Steam went from this dreck to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow blows my mind only slightly less than Starbreeze going from rubbish like Enclave to Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. Apparently Konami have been taking management tips from Vin Diesel/Tigon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I moved-on from the awfulness of Wooden Sen'Sey to

Oozi: Earth Adventure
    As generic a platformer as has ever existed surely? Not actually bad but almost entirely without an original idea!?

I then tried a change-of-pace and installed

Call of Juarez (yes, the original)
    which is a stone-cold TURD of a game. It's actually a masterclass in how NOT to make a game - it contains almost no choices, what you have to do is SHOWN to you whilst perfectly logical things are impossible and it has UNSKIPPABLE REPEATING CUTSCENES and TIMED SECTIONS (which contain those cutscenes and repeat them endlessly!!!)

It's now on my "worst game ever" spike...
    Last edited by trjp; 27-12-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Apparently Konami have been taking management tips from Vin Diesel/Tigon.
    Considering Kojima Productions had a hand, I would certainly hope so.

Rune: Whereas Severence has brilliant combat and arse-ugly environments, Rune has brilliant environments and horrible combat.