Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The Hacker Evolution games look right naff, and I ended up with both of the entirely generic shooters name "Zombie Shooter" in my library. They are servicable enough games, but so goddamn lazy. Like some of the art is just slightly Photoshopped art from the Death Note manga.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    There are tons of games in my backlog, most of which are from bundles... My internet connection is a lovely 1.5 megabit, mind you, so the biggest barrier for me is getting them on my computer. I've gone on a campaign this wintertidefrost to put as many as possible on my machine, so have been going through the list to try things out. This thread is pretty timely

But... to make sure I'm doing this right, are we supposed to choose the games that for which we have low expectations? (Like scraping the bottom of the barrel, as the thread name implies?) Or are any heretofore unplayed bundle acquisitions fair game?

Escape Goat: I actually had moderate expectations for this. There were some pleasant rumblings online around the time of its release but I'd managed to avoid reading any reviews. The same developer made Soulcaster I & II, which were also bundle acquisitions. I enjoyed what little I played of Soulcaster I, which is a bit like a tower defense mixed with, umm, Legend of Zelda? Anyway, that game was pretty unique and I may go back to it. Escape Goat is also interesting. The game itself feels less novel. It falls on a Venn diagram between Adventures of Shuggy and Super Meat Boy (or Jumper). Love the minimalistic plot. The music is fun. The "retro" graphics don't feel forced. Also the mouse mechanics are nifty and are the stand-out elements. I know a sequel has been Greenlit. I'm about 33% through this one. Puzzle platformers aren't really my thing, so not as excited for more of the same, but given this developer's track record for pleasant innovation I will be keeping my eyes open.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    But... to make sure I'm doing this right, are we supposed to choose the games that for which we have low expectations? (Like scraping the bottom of the barrel, as the thread name implies?) Or are any heretofore unplayed bundle acquisitions fair game?
    I think it's for games you got in bundles that you didn't actually buy the bundles for. We all have them; they lay there, languishing in the darkness, calling out for warm hands. The lonely ones. The forgotten ones. Bundle orphans. Games you absolutely would not have bought independent of that ephemeral bundle mania.

My Steam library has exploded since I graduated college and started earning enough income for more than noodles, and I don't have time to play them all now!

I've stopped getting the Indie-Gala bundles as for each good game you get they throw several heaps of shit at you.

I tried A Game of Dwarves and I hate it more than anything else I've played. It's clunky, slow, boring, and the humor just makes me cringe.

On the other hand I was going through my library and I found I have FEZ. I forgot about FEZ!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boundless08 View Post
    My Steam library has exploded since I graduated college and started earning enough income for more than noodles, and I don't have time to play them all now!

I've stopped getting the Indie-Gala bundles as for each good game you get they throw several heaps of shit at you.

I tried A Game of Dwarves and I hate it more than anything else I've played. It's clunky, slow, boring, and the humor just makes me cringe.

On the other hand I was going through my library and I found I have FEZ. I forgot about FEZ!
    I'm excited for you! FEZ is kickass and gorgeous.

Earning income is also kickass. Congrats. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just started Skyrim for the first time. It's shockingly better than Oblivion. Should I wait to play it with the expansions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I think it's for games you got in bundles that you didn't actually buy the bundles for. We all have them; they lay there, languishing in the darkness, calling out for warm hands. The lonely ones. The forgotten ones. Bundle orphans. Games you absolutely would not have bought independent of that ephemeral bundle mania.
    That!!^^.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Just started Skyrim for the first time. It's shockingly better than Oblivion. Should I wait to play it with the expansions?
    Not in the least bit! I've only played Dawnguard mind, but there's plenty in the vanilla game to keep you busy for a good few weeks, jump right in. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boundless08 View Post
    Not in the least bit! I've only played Dawnguard mind, but there's plenty in the vanilla game to keep you busy for a good few weeks, jump right in. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    If there's an ideal level to play the expansions at, maybe kinda sorta? I get the impression that's not the case other than high-level TES being broken one way or another depending on your build across sort of generally. But Skyrim is hardly a linear experience. Don't wait for content.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I tried Jagged Alliance: Crossfire the expanlonequel™ to Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. It's a Kalypso game and that already kind of sums it up. It's bad and not particularly fun. After about an hour I had enough. There's just so much wrong with it. From the five not-quite skippable intro videos to the fact that ESC does not open the menu but instead you have to press the button in the upper left corner every time. How do you fuck that up?
    The gameplay itself is barely tolerable. It's Jagged Alliance in real time, alright, and it kinda doesn't work. When you start wit two mercs and enemies kill you in one or two hits and there's like twenty on the very first map then it becomes a tedious series of trial and error. Also, the AI makes me suspect that some of the mercs had tiberium harvesters in their lineage. Have two mercs stand next to each other, order merc on the right side to go to the left and the merc on the left side to go to the left and they run into each other for the rest of their lives. Classic.

Don't bother out of ten.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery
    Turned out to be a simple little metroidvania-like tomb-raiding single-height platformer. From other players' comments on Desura, an earlier version may not have had gamepad support. The current version has it, but still requires the keyboard to pause or to trigger & dismiss certain messages that pop up with clues and etc. Not terribly original, but has a couple notable points. One is that the developer put some time into making a small cast of characters. Makes it feel a bit like Duck Tales or something where you're dropped into an episode of something already in progress. Haven't found an automap yet, so got lost pretty quick. You can communicate with professor someone and he'll offer clues as to where important things are. "We detect three objects, two small and one large..." An odd choice and something I haven't seen in a game like this. The game makes no real sense so far as why something found in Mayan ruins makes a monkey jump higher. I found a teleporter out of the level but it was not active, so I'm sure I lost my progress when I quit. Bummer. Gamemaker engine, but developer put some polish into the game.

Probably will not return to it considering the lost progress and many more preferable choices to play (Cave Story, Guacamelee, Rogue Legacy, La-Mulana, etc). Maybe a few years ago I would have given it a second look.

Joe Danger 2: The Movie is odd. Also, not a movie. It's not a racing game, it's not a stunt game...it's kind of a platformer? Basically you navigate one of the game's many vehicles through a course, avoid death traps and collect stuff. There's also quite a bit of jumping. It's difficult to describe but it all makes sense once you start playing.
    It's a lot of fun and there's a ton of content beyond the "campaign" even if later levels get incredibly difficult real fast.

It's pretty good, alright.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I recently discovered a whole load of keys that had been added to various bundles I'd bought thanks to Greenlight and similar, so my backlog has actually gotten bigger since my first post here. Sigh.

Beast Boxing Turbo
    Simple concept, kind of fun but mostly repetitive. Nicely put together though.

Gun Monkeys
    Is it just me or is the tutorial broken? I played one game online (because there was only one other player online) which made no sense at all so I gave up and deleted it.

Darwinia

Boring. Also earned itself some contempt for the obnoxiously loud chiptune title music that had my ears ringing for like an hour afterwards.

Megabyte Punch

Like Beast Boxing Turbo, it's a simple concept and kind of fun. I made the mistake of trying to find a hidden path; I found it, navigated it successfully but then got stuck on the way back and quit. I hope it'll reset me to a checkpoint when I go back.

Ride 'em Low
    I actually played this for half an hour, it started off kind of fun but then it became clear that I'd spent my money on the wrong upgrades so I seemed to be unable to win anything, which had the side-effect of eating away at my cash so I couldn't upgrade anything and so kept losing. Seems like a really stupid design, so I uninstalled that too.

Home
    Eh. Nothing special. I lost interest after quarter of an hour. It just didn't grip me or interest me in any way, so.

Next I want to try Trine, Vox, Zafehouse: Diaries, Multiwinia and Uplink, just because I have no idea what any of them are. Same goes for Darkout, actually. And Ticket To Ride. And Torchlight. Also maybe I'll copy/paste my posts here into actual Steam reviews.

Been trying to clear my backlog since the recent sales as well. Decided on choosing one game for each letter of the alphabet from my Steam list. So far, these have been the ones from bundles:-

And Yet it Moves - Definitely falls into the "indie platformer with a gimmick" category. In this case the gimmick is that the environment can be rotated or flipped with the arrow keys. Initially this is to get your character through the map, but soon you have to manipulate items to solve puzzles (rolling rocks out of the way, etc). For me, it's too slow moving, it doesn't look all that great, and it seems to only have the one gimmick. Plus it's a pain trying to get the objects where you want them, especially when my dumb brain can't work out which way to rotate. Too many better games to play to bother returning.

Cargo Commander - I liked this. Fast paced, original idea, wry sense of humour. Will play more.

English Country Tune -Had no idea what this was going to be like. It's a mind-bending puzzle game that I can't get the hang of (again). But I'll probably return to it, it's so well made I want to see what other tricks it has later. I just may need a walk-through to get to them.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Snake Blocks is a decent puzzle game but it's lacking in complexity. It's plenty challenging but that's not good enough for me to want to keep playing it.

Bad Hotel
    You have a hotel and you buy additional rooms to attach to the sides... To protect the main hotel building from bomb-laden birds. As you progress through the levels you encounter different threats and unlock different rooms, including those with gun turrets and those that are just big landmines. It's pretty slick for what is clearly a straight port from Android and the premise is fun, but it's not anything too special really.

Bastion
    I can't believe I left it this long to try out Bastion, but here we are. The narrator is a really clever detail; I spent a few seconds just smashing shit up and he said 'the kid just sort of raged for a while', and I noticed he commented on the fact that I took some damage in my first encounter with an enemy. His voice reminds me of Ken Nordine.

Brutal Legend
    I hate metal and I don't like Jack Black, but Brutal Legend kind of appealed to me in the same way that Metalocalypse does. I noticed a lot of subtlety in the character animation which struck me as unusual but really quite good, also opening with an actual video with no CGI was quite refreshing to see, I don't think I've ever seen that in a game, the menu UI is cool too. Then I hit a bad checkpoint (the bridge collapse), failed a few more times than I'd like and just left it. I'm not really interested in the story or the main gameplay mechanics, so.

I didn't mean to pick three games beginning with B, that's just an odd co-incidence. Also I completely forgot about the games I decided I wanted to try next in my last post.

Bonus: Pool Nation
    Not from a bundle but I did pick it up cheap in last week or the week before's weekly sale on Steam. Extremely addictive and satisfying, though the music sucks and loops far too quickly. The physics are pretty great though.

I could randomly grab some stuff, but that's not as fun as getting other people to make me play painful crap that I have no idea about.

So, which games out of this giant pile of flotsam I have titled 'Indie bunf I will never play' should I try?

indiebunf.jpg

Before anyone says FTL, the answer is no. Also Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery I played last night and will not be played again.

Spacechem!

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    I could randomly grab some stuff, but that's not as fun as getting other people to make me play painful crap that I have no idea about.

So, which games out of this giant pile of flotsam I have titled 'Indie bunf I will never play' should I try?

Before anyone says FTL, the answer is no. Also Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery I played last night and will not be played again.
    Why not FTL? Apart from that:
    - Thirty Flights of Loving is short but sweet, you could knock that one off your list in an hour or two.
    - Little Inferno is basically a pyromaniac's dream game since all you do is buy stuff from a catalogue and set it on fire; it's really just a toy but I liked it.
    - If Shatter is the game I'm thinking of, it's an awesome Breakout-like and if you like those block breaking games you should definitely give that a go.
    - Contact Valve to ask them to remove Gish from your library.
    - Nightsky was quite nice...
    - Oh and Hammerfight is properly unique, as far as I can tell anyway. You move the mouse to fly a little ship around and it has a fucking hammer dangling from it which you must use to destroy the enemy ship.
    - Shattered Horizon is a multiplayer-only game which is, shockingly, dead as hell. Nice graphics since it was made by one of the companies better known for their benchmarking software, but yeah.
    - Windosill is a Flash puzzle toy, very short and not much game there, can be safely ignored but can also be crossed off your backlog pretty quickly.

AVSEQ is by Jim's company.
    Last edited by neema_t; 22-01-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Proteus is proper lovely.

I didn't really play them, but I idled the cards out of all three eXceed games because they're worth rather a lot right now on the marketplace, going for $0.75+. I sold a non-foil card for more than $1. I suggest you do the same before people regain their senses.