Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    So, which games out of this giant pile of flotsam I have titled 'Indie bunf I will never play' should I try?
    If you only ever play one game from that list it should be Spacechem, end of story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Spacechem!
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Why not FTL?
    Well, lets say I have slightly irrational emotions and FTL reminds me of someone who had a strong bias toward it, and I had a strong bias against him. I will play it one day, but thinking of it makes me remember his annoying voice, thusly making me want to punch babies.

I tried Spacechem, but I think I need to be awake to play it correctly. Created a maze of spinning... things. Tomorrow evening methinks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I could randomly grab some stuff, but that's not as fun as getting other people to make me play painful crap that I have no idea about.

So, which games out of this giant pile of flotsam I have titled 'Indie bunf I will never play' should I try?

Attachment 4695

Before anyone says FTL, the answer is no. Also Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery I played last night and will not be played again.
    Uplink! Before Spacechem even.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    For what it's worth, from that list (Of course, some of the positions depend on taste. That is not the case with SpaceChem):

Great games:
    FTL
    SpaceChem

Of these two, SpaceChem is definitely better. It's vrey easy to get started but becomes very difficult quite soon, and it's one of the rare games where I had the "Fuck yeah!" feeling after I solved a difficult puzzle. Another great thing is the scoreboard which, instead of just giving you a ranking like 101684/254466, provides you with a distribution of scores and tells you where your solution is. I found myself replaying quite a few levels simply to find a better-than-average solution, either in the number of cycles or the number of elements, and preferrably both. It is very, very good.

Good games:
    Altitude - simple multiplayer arena with small planes shooting each other, or just playing football. Definitely worth a try.
    Bittrip runner 2 - I'm not very much into platformers or running games, but I found it to be entertaining and worth my time.
    Chime - Tetris with music, it's pleasant and ok.
    Plain Sight - multiplayer deathmach with ninja robot. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no community.
    Rochard - Nicely done platformer with a silly story but short enough for me not to mind.
    Waces - shooter, ok for playing a quick game every now and then.

Games to avoid:
    DogFighter - It looks good in screenshorts, but ultimately I couldn't find the fun part.
    HOARD - No depth, very mindless and becomes boring after 10 minutes.

Don't know much about the others.

edit: About Uplink. I found it to be very repetitive. There is stuff to do, and there is a overarching story, but ultimately I was always just bouncing around the servers doing the same tasks.

Oh, and get Atom Zombie Smasher if you haven't already.
    Last edited by mrki; 24-01-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Well, lets say I have slightly irrational emotions and FTL reminds me of someone who had a strong bias toward it, and I had a strong bias against him. I will play it one day, but thinking of it makes me remember his annoying voice, thusly making me want to punch babies.
    Fair enough, I can certainly understand that type of Pavlovian response kind of thing; a couple of years back I had pretty severe tonsillitis and then the tonsillectomy, I did nothing but play Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for about two months, nearly all day, nearly every day. I can't stomach playing it now because I actually start to feel slightly feverish and delirious!

Hack, Slash, Loot- Just bought this in the latest Humble weekly bundle... Not impressed at all. Just seems to rely on random dice rolls and there are far too many enemies right from the start so there's no chance to explore or find out more about the game's systems. No reason to play this when I already have Desktop Dungeons - not exactly the same type of game (DD is more of a puzzle rpg) but I don't think I'll spend any more time with HSL.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Waces - shooter, ok for playing a quick game every now and then.
    You mean Waves? It's really nice little game.

Tidalis
    Meh, not my thing.

Trine
    Also not my thing.

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
    Hilarious. Anything featuring a unicorn ambush (after asking you whether you want to follow it or kill it because you need as much meat as you can get your hands on) is ok by me.

Papo & Yo
    Not my thing, a fellow RPSer told me it's about 2 hours long and the puzzles never get more challenging, so I gave up. It's pretty though.

Vox
    Third person Minecraft-alike, dull, can't be arsed.

Waveform
    As an electronic engineer I kind of liked this one because it reminds me of playing with oscilloscopes and function generators.

Apparently when I edited this post it posted it again. Oops.
    Last edited by neema_t; 28-01-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Hacker Evolution Duality
    Pretty dull, I couldn't find anything to enjoy here. Click this, click that, click the other then do it all again... Nope.

Zombie Shooter 2
    See also: Alien Shooter 2 Conscription. Ok, ok, fine, it's old, but it hasn't aged well at all.

Zafehouse Diaries
    I accidentally broke my gun down for scrap then went on to make a lot of barricades (I was at it for about 30 consecutive hours) and finally went out on patrol. I died immediately. I didn't uninstall the game, though, I think I could probably get into it if I had some patience, I don't have any right now though.

PixelJunk Shooter
    An absolute joy. I have it on my PS3 but the 1080p resolution really helps, also it probably helps that the DS4 (Dualshock 4, PS4 controller) is miles better than the DS3.

Zack Zero
    I think it's a platformer for kids. It has Crysis-ish suit modes with different powers, you jump around the place and kill things. I can't see myself playing much of it (even though I have 10 hours on it because of trading cards).

Bonus: Games bought in non-Indie bundles

FlatOut
    Fun, but it doesn't recognise my DS4 nor my DS4 when it's pretending to be an X360 controller. There's only so much fun I can have playing a racing game with a keyboard. Also I noticed that if an AI car pushes sideways on your rear wheels (i.e. a PIT manoeuvre) (I can't spell that word for shit) you spin really easily, but if you do it to them they seem pretty planted on the road. Kind of annoying.

TrackMania 2 Valley
    If you've ever played Trackmania you know what this is about. You have a car, it goes forward, it goes backward (but if you ever go backward you've already lost by a long way), it steers, that's about it. The physics are as detailed as pressing brake and accelerate to initiate a drift (Ridge Racer/Burnout style), also be careful (where possible) when using a ramp. I played online, I was ranked ~44,000 in the UK, I beat four other people in a circuit race and one of them was ranked 74 in South America. He was most displeased and called me a 'bad son'.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    PixelJunk Shooter
    An absolute joy. I have it on my PS3 but the 1080p resolution really helps, also it probably helps that the DS4 (Dualshock 4, PS4 controller) is miles better than the DS3.
    I heartily concur, even without a controller. Going pew pew and zoom zoom is tons of fun. Would be nice to have online co-op.

So it looks like I might be the only one still going with this so I suppose no one gives a shit, but:

Torchlight
    I didn't mind this so much. The pathfinding was a bit shit and it was kind of dull but at the same time it probably gets better (like Borderlands 2 did) and it was solid enough from what I saw.

Septerra Core
    I suppose I should be grateful that this game brought legacy DirectX to my attention (which I had to install to get it to run), but... Bah. I might watch a playthrough because it seemed like it had an interesting story but I think it's too wonky for me to enjoy.

No More Room In Hell
    A free Source mod (and as such it's not a bundle scrape), so it takes half an hour to load but it looks good. Plays like Killing Floor meets DayZ; in that it's a horde survival thing that works best in co-op but you die quickly and ammo is scarce.

Happy Song Prototype
    Barely did anything.

Hack n Slash Prototype
    Also barely did anything from what I recall (I played it last week).

Shadowgrounds: Survivor
    A slightly less shit Alien Shooter: Conscription. Still pretty dull.

Then I played Saints Row IV and had so much fun with that, now I don't really want to go back to scraping bundles. Also I think I'm running out of bundles to scrape, come to think of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I still care! I just haven't gotten around to playing my own bottom-of-the-bundle games recently. My work hours increased dramatically.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I still care too. I just haven't played any more bundle stuff (XCOM is too good). I picked up the Blink bundle recently so that's 12 more to try out sometime soon. Wanted it for Eldritch, not so sure about the rest...

A couple more scraped by me:

Home - I didn't think much of this. Perhaps I should play it a bit more. I feel the low-res graphics don't really suit the suspense-horror genre, especially as the text descriptions aren't detailed enough. I think I need more than just wandering around holding a light...

Intrusion 2 -
    Fun side scrolling shooter. The physics effects are very effective and add a dynamic element to the combat. Jumping feels too floaty but I guess it helps with the bullet dodging.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Mini Motor Racing EVO - Thought I got lucky for a moment. It's a bird's eye view racer reminiscent of the old Micro Machines games, but actually more like the older Super Offroad arcade game. Plus it seems to have Steam Workshop features in, so people can build tracks. There's nitro boost, money for upgrades. Could've been fun!

Unfortunately it is BRUTAL. I can't win one dang race, and I don't care too much to try. You start a race in the first position and EVERY computer player immediately rams you. Yet when you try to ram them you pretty much go spinning out of control.

Like Micro Machines, you only see a small segment of a track at a time. The tracks I saw were small enough that seeing the whole thing might make more sense. Dunno if that's an actual option.

The cars are so drifty that they're like a pad of butter in a tilting, hot pan. It is nearly impossible to take tight corners without braking, and I don't play racing games to slow down.

Finally, the default control scheme is to aim the analog stick in the direction you want to go, more like a twin-stick shooter. That really had me confused for a while. There is an option for left-right turning that improved the experience for me, but the rest of it had me pretty cheesed off.

Eventually I slowed down on some corners and that had me outpacing my opponent in a 2-vehicle race. But then the computer unerringly rammed me and I spun out of control.

I'm not the kind to rage quit, so I regretfully, wistfully quit.
    Last edited by icupnimpn2; 07-02-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Mini Motor Racing EVO - Thought I got lucky for a moment...

I'm not the kind to rage quit, so I regretfully, wistfully quit.
    Sounds like a real duffer, will steer clear of it me thinks. Loved Micromachines back in the day, and there was a static screen top down racer called Super Sprint that I played to death on the Atari ST, so a good implementation of these would be tempting.

For some reason I got an itch to play more of Home... I'm quite liking it now. I think it pushes the same "interactive storybook" button that the latest Telltale games do. Obviously not in the same league but nevertheless I'm intrigued enough to continue on. Plus, it actually made me jump once, so it's got to be doing something right. I think I know where the plot is heading, so now I need to keep playing to see if I'm right!

Well, that was an unexpected but not unpleasant end to Pixeljunk Shooter. I was expecting to see the end at world four or five, but when it ended at world three I figured I might not have played beyond that anyway, so it's good. I guess they just ran out of ideas after using water, lava and black mystery goo, but they were interesting concepts. It's pretty much exactly up to the standard of an indie bundle game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mini Motor Race Evo uses a typical mobile game approach of requiring you upgrade to progress and handing you JUST enough supplies to do it - I had some fun with it, but it was mostly me trying to buck the obvious path and - well - cheat my way to winning anyway :)