Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Happy *special position of the earth in his parabolic travel*

Merry Christmas, everyone in RPS. Enjoy your Holiday and possibly the Rat Pack

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Happy *special position of the earth in his parabolic travel*
    Hey, I already said solstice! \:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    What did everyone get present wise? My haul was:

DVDs

Spirited Away - Yay my favourite Studio Ghibli movie!

Cornetto Trilogy Box Set - Yes wanted to see At Worlds End again because I think its interesting but also want to watch them all again...such great movies.

Red Cliff - Have no idea but it says its a chinese war movie that lasts 4 hours and is directed by John Woo...intrigued.

Others

11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver with actual screwdriver in it - I didn't know this existed but I'm glad it does cause it is awesome!

CK Shock - A nice cinnamon aftershave makes me smell nice

my present was... not bankruptcy! yay!

oh and I gifted myself asscreed 4. quite good, so far.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I got a coffee thermo cup, with metal core so warm contents won't cool down too quick. Coldest months of January and February are coming so I am going to put it into great use. Quite a nice present I received from my company's Christmas party. This year my bosses suggested to give gifts with long-lasting value. Very great idea, I love that. Plus, if I buy Starbucks with my own cup, I can have a RMB3 discount as support for environmental protection. Yahoo~~~

But a sad thing about the party was, food and drink standard was down graded as compared to previous years. No coffee, to my surprise (Christmas party used to be the only occasion we could have free good coffee. In usual days we are supplied with instant coffee). Plus, no smoked salmon, which had never been absent from Christmas party... till this year's. Aside of a bit disappointment, I am so much worried by this: morale of the firm has reached a new low. Bosses paid for all the expenses of the party, and this year they cut back. Outlook isn't very bright. I don't know if this is external (economic prospect of the whole economy, hence the business environment we are facing) or internal (office politics becomes fiercer and more cutting-throat, which in turn was brought by harsher business environment externally). My guess is, both are equally worrying. If the bosses are so deeply depressed like this, how are low rank staffer like me going to place myself in the coming year?

My bosses once said something I don't quite follow. They said that some big European shipping companies colluded to form something called P3 alliance, a cartel which they expect would drive up shipping cost with monopolistic power, and they don't like that. First I thought they were talking about stocks, but then I realized that they were actually worried by the potential pressure on our company's cost, that's why they were talking to me about that. I don't know, isn't it true that larger firms are always able to offer same product at lower price than smaller competitors?

But no matter how harsh it's gonna be, let's bring up the fight, man~
    Last edited by squirrel; 26-12-2013 at 10:10 AM.

I got a games machine, a stack of vouchers which were mostly for places I don't shop at and a new lawnmower which was a late present which is why I've only just gotten around to listing my haul.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got a hairdryer, some mittens, some socks, some chocolates, a paperwhite (or rather, the money for it) and Raising Steam, by Terry Pratchett.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I got an Xbox.

Let us know how Raising Steam is. I've heard it's different to his previous stuff?
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I got a coffee thermo cup, with metal core so warm contents won't cool down too quick. Coldest months of January and February are coming so I am going to put it into great use. Quite a nice present I received from my company's Christmas party. This year my bosses suggested to give gifts with long-lasting value. Very great idea, I love that. Plus, if I buy Starbucks with my own cup, I can have a RMB3 discount as support for environmental protection. Yahoo~~~

But a sad thing about the party was, food and drink standard was down graded as compared to previous years. No coffee, to my surprise (Christmas party used to be the only occasion we could have free good coffee. In usual days we are supplied with instant coffee). Plus, no smoked salmon, which had never been absent from Christmas party... till this year's. Aside of a bit disappointment, I am so much worried by this: morale of the firm has reached a new low. Bosses paid for all the expenses of the party, and this year they cut back. Outlook isn't very bright. I don't know if this is external (economic prospect of the whole economy, hence the business environment we are facing) or internal (office politics becomes fiercer and more cutting-throat, which in turn was brought by harsher business environment externally). My guess is, both are equally worrying. If the bosses are so deeply depressed like this, how are low rank staffer like me going to place myself in the coming year?

My bosses once said something I don't quite follow. They said that some big European shipping companies colluded to form something called P3 alliance, a cartel which they expect would drive up shipping cost with monopolistic power, and they don't like that. First I thought they were talking about stocks, but then I realized that they were actually worried by the potential pressure on our company's cost, that's why they were talking to me about that. I don't know, isn't it true that larger firms are always able to offer same product at lower price than smaller competitors?

What do you do, if it isn't too forward? I know from the book thread you've got a pretty big interest in economics. Pity about them cutting the budget on the office party though - but I do wish if I took my own cup to the coffee shop I frequent they'd give me a discount for environmental protection. That sounds pretty nice.

Sketch: When I get time to read it, I will certainly let people know. I've heard absolutely nothing about it so far, but I felt his last book wasn't his strongest (it was still fine, just felt a bit like filler) so we'll see what this is like.

Amongst other things I got the complete The Wire DVD box. Ohhh yeahhhh.

Unseen Academicals by Pratchett, Hydrogen Sonata and Look To Windward by Banks. I love getting books.
    Also got a cover for my Asus tablet, or rather, since there are no covers specifically made for it, I got one for a Nexus 7, so it's taken some cutting to make it fit (ports in different places and such), but now it works rather well.

Very exhausting and depressing Christmas, so the presents felt more like some sort of Christmas survival achievement rewards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    What do you do, if it isn't too forward? I know from the book thread you've got a pretty big interest in economics. Pity about them cutting the budget on the office party though - but I do wish if I took my own cup to the coffee shop I frequent they'd give me a discount for environmental protection. That sounds pretty nice.
    Yes I do have a passion in Economics, but I more of thinking myself as feeling the need to understand the principles which run my life, any every other one in the society of course.

My working relationship with my Kongese bosses are very tensional: they look down on me and I look down on them in return. But sometimes I really feel for them. I see that there is an economic hardship upcoming: they know it well but they cannot do a damn thing about it. Is it the fierce competition forcing them to be that arrogant? I really don't know. After tomorrow it will be a new year, let's see how we survive through it.

I think Starbucks here is following their sister company, Starbucks in Hong Kong which is run by a food and beverage group called Maxim (not listed, so you probably haven't heard of it, but as I know every Hong Kong people somehow contributes to its revenue. Speaking of which, I don't know who run Starbucks here). Starbucks there also offers HKD3 discount on coffee if you bring your own recyclable mug or coffee cup.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Amongst other things I got the complete The Wire DVD box. Ohhh yeahhhh.
    Take it you've seen it before? My brother got me it for my birthday and it's fantastic. Might be time for a rewatch soon.
    steam: sketch

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas celebration.

The hubby and I decided to give each other sensible, useful items for Christmas, this year.
    I gave him this...

sorry, phone pic is small
    Don's_zombie_hunter.jpg
    Zombie Survival Knives.
    No family should be without a set.

Oh, and BTW, he gave me cash!

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR, GameWorld!!!
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Unseen Academicals by Pratchett, Hydrogen Sonata and Look To Windward by Banks. I love getting books.

I got Look to Windward to! :)

I came to the Ian Banks party late with my first reading of a Culture book about 1 year a go. But I can't get enough of it. Shame the author died of cancer :(

I have also bought myself a load of cheap steam games as usual.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    I got Look to Windward to! :)

I came to the Ian Banks party late with my first reading of a Culture book about 1 year a go. But I can't get enough of it. Shame the author died of cancer :(

I have also bought myself a load of cheap steam games as usual.
    Two people getting look to windward. You lucky sorts. That was my first culture book, and in my opinion, one of the best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    The only present I got that wasn't chocolate or a cheque was a book of Kafka's short stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Two people getting look to windward. You lucky sorts. That was my first culture book, and in my opinion, one of the best.
    Posible minor spoiler for Use of Weapons maybe ahead?

My favorite so far is either Player of Games or Use of Weapons. Probably Use of Weapons for the ending, I should really re-read this at some point as it took me a while to realize that half the book was converging to a point backwards in time :o

Although I am only a quarter of the way though Windward so all this could change!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Posible minor spoiler for Use of Weapons maybe ahead?

My favorite so far is either Player of Games or Use of Weapons. Probably Use of Weapons for the ending, I should really re-read this at some point as it took me a while to realize that half the book was converging to a point backwards in time :o

Oh gods, me too. Everyone else I know who has read it has ribbed me for it mercilessly, but I was a younger, more naive goose at the time. It's on my to re-read list for the same reason - now I know what's going on and am a bit more savvy as a reader in general, I feel I might actually get a lot more of it.