Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar

Installing Windows on Linux

I've received a laptop for christmas but it comes with linux os. I want windows 7. Is there anything I have to do or can i just put a dvd (or usb) stick with windows and install it without problems. there is no data worth preserving on the computer so i can format whole drive without issues.

thx for help.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Do you want to keep the Linux os as well?

If not, then just put a dvd or usb into it and off you go
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I've received a laptop for christmas but it comes with linux os. I want windows 7. Is there anything I have to do or can i just put a dvd (or usb) stick with windows and install it without problems. there is no data worth preserving on the computer so i can format whole drive without issues.

thx for help.
    I think you can just install, and probably let windows format the whole disc. Maybe you can use a linux live CD to format the whole disc, since Windows is not very smart and may not do the intelligent thing and preserve the linux and create a boot menu you don't want.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Insert Windows CD or whatever, format the drive during setup, and that's it. When you go to format the drive you'll probably have to delete the various partitions that already exist. After that just select the 'empty' disk, and Windows setup will repartition the drive for its own needs and away you go.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Obscure Node
    Why Window 7?
    Have you tried 8.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggamer28 View Post
    Why Window 7?
    Have you tried 8.1?
    LoLzers! Good one man, I needed a chuckle.

I've only went from Windows to Ubuntu, not the other way round, but as everyone is saying above there should be an option during installation to format the harddrive and just install Windows.
    Please avoid my blog criticalchance.com at all costs. Nothing good shall come if it.

Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggamer28 View Post
    Why Window 7?
    Have you tried 8.1?
    Ohhh boy, here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Do you want to keep the Linux os as well?
    Even if you do, just install Windows first.
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?