Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Mansions of Madness

So I just ordered this off the Amazon for a game night set to potentially occur on Saturday. I first read about it here and was immediately sold, so I'm sure there's a couple of you who have played this... Any tips for a group of first-time players?

I assume you are playing as the keeper? Makes sense as you will have the greatest familiarity with the rules.

I would suggest you pick a scenario in advance. Make sure you know the vague idea of the scenario, and the abilities you have at your disposal. But it can be good to not read through the events that occur, so that it comes as a surprise to you too.

Personally I would not suggest the Blood Ties scenario. That particular one has you mercilessly picking on one player, which can turn that player off the game pretty quick.

Setup time can be a downfall of MoM. So as keeper you can separate the cards, get out the required tokens and all that stuff in advance. However it can be helpful to let the players assemble the board, so that they are familiar with the layout.

Suggest to the players that it is in their interests to pick a balanced party, and the skill set they need to support each other (mix of intellect and physical skills, at least one starting weapon).

As keeper use your threat tokens (cannot remember their exact name) throughout. Amassing them does not help, as it can be quite tricky to use them up.

Use a timer for puzzle attempts. If given too much time the puzzles are on the easy side, the players are supposed to feel pressured.

Have fun.

Oh and one other thing - Throw in your own descriptions. Don't just read out the cards. Your own improvised descriptions of events and attacks can make it a lot more atmospheric, and cover up for a few of the "cracks" in the game.

eg. Rather than just "4 cultists appear", try "4 hooded figures appear from the shadows, their voices raising in a chant of some alien language."

Doesn't have to be much, just adds a little flavour.

well.. Its really n amazing post you shared here.. I like to play that games like puzzles etc..
    Puzzles games are a kind of mind exercises...
    Last edited by anora; 10-09-2011 at 02:04 PM.