Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Uh, you'll still be buying new hardware with OpenGl support, assuming that support actually eventuates in the future like people are hoping. A game engine suddenly using OpenGl doesn't suddenly give your Geforce 2 SM 4.0 support for example - hardware support still has to exist, it's not done entirely in software.
    In other words I was saying that from what I've gathered paying for OS upgrades to update the graphics API, or having to buy entirely new hardware every 5-7 years will not be required of a SteamOS user. Of course supported hardware will need to be an initial investment, and if you want to have the latest and greatest hardware going forward that's your choice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    A game engine suddenly using OpenGl doesn't suddenly give your Geforce 2 SM 4.0 support for example - hardware support still has to exist, it's not done entirely in software.
    Nividia and AMD/ATI are pretty dedicated to actually implementing these things though. So it's not an unreasonable expectation.

Network Hub
    The Steam Controller has been updated again, now with analog stick (source):

I don't really like this, to be honest. The primary weakness of the original design (from my perspective and without having hands on with it) was the wonky face button layout and that the touchpads could only be mapped as mice or keys. The second design that used traditional diamond button placement and added the ability to map the touchpads as joysticks seemed like all it needed.

Dropping the d-pad button diamond and replacing it with an analog stick feels like a step back. The controller is no longer ambidextrous (which I had thought was one of the primary design tenets), there's no longer a d-pad (unless you map a touchpad to d-pad keys, which by all accounts nobody liked the feel of), and the left touchpad as a whole seems a bit extraneous now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I think it will be a horrible controller. I do like the touchpads for FPS aiming, but I don't see them as good for basically... anything else. Which is not good.

And putting an analog stick on it now is almost admitting that deficiency... The button placement also looks very poor, and the forward hook design... I really don't know about that.

I will continue to beat my drum for the DualShock 4 anywho, best controller ever :P

Network Hub
    The handles don't hook forward. They're symmetrical from back to front.

I've wanted hands on with this thing since it was announced because there have been a lot of design elements that I really like (the grip buttons, particularly. The more buttons I can press without taking my thumbs off of look and move, the better.) But the stick seems like a bad idea. I'm wondering if it might be some sort of consideration for VR, since re-centering on a pad that you're using for movement might be harder when you can't even have the controller in your peripheral vision.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm not sure about that controller either, I'm keen to try one out but my expectations are low. The DualShock 4 is really great, so those touchpads better be amazing...

Has anyone installed SteamOS yet? I've got it downloaded and ready to install when I've freed up the 1TB drive I just pulled out of my Mac (as that's found a new home) but I haven't gotten around to sorting that out yet. I wonder if it's safe to dual boot or if there's some minor, minor chance it'll go full psycho and wipe my other drives or something... So in other words I'll be unplugging the others when I try SteamOS. I've been dabbling with the Unix and Raspberry Pi CLIs and decided I want a Linux OS to play with, since SteamOS is Debian (I think? If so, that's almost what the Pi runs) and I'm curious to try it anyway I figured I'd just do... Well, that.
    Last edited by neema_t; 24-07-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I love this "leak". The combination of a analog stick and a touchpad is the best of both worlds. I tell you, the Steam Controller is going to be PC's Wavebird.
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I'm not sure about that controller either, I'm keen to try one out but my expectations are low. The DualShock 4 is really great, so those touchpads better be amazing...

Has anyone installed SteamOS yet? I've got it downloaded and ready to install when I've freed up the 1TB drive I just pulled out of my Mac (as that's found a new home) but I haven't gotten around to sorting that out yet. I wonder if it's safe to dual boot or if there's some minor, minor chance it'll go full psycho and wipe my other drives or something... So in other words I'll be unplugging the others when I try SteamOS. I've been dabbling with the Unix and Raspberry Pi CLIs and decided I want a Linux OS to play with, since SteamOS is Debian (I think? If so, that's almost what the Pi runs) and I'm curious to try it anyway I figured I'd just do... Well, that.
    Honestly, I would go with a regular Linux installation + Steam, unless you have an HTPC or don't mind beta testing for free.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    Has anyone installed SteamOS yet? I've got it downloaded and ready to install when I've freed up the 1TB drive I just pulled out of my Mac (as that's found a new home) but I haven't gotten around to sorting that out yet. I wonder if it's safe to dual boot or if there's some minor, minor chance it'll go full psycho and wipe my other drives or something...
    Installing from Windows for a dual-boot is supposed to be working now. I haven't tried it myself, though I've been toying with the idea of doing a Linux dual-boot for a while now. SteamOS has the advantage over something like Ubuntu of having AMD and nVidia's proprietary video drivers built in.

I feel like somebody should write a 'The State of SteamOS' thing somewhere, but it would probably be better to wait for a couple more big Linux games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    I think it will be a horrible controller. I do like the touchpads for FPS aiming, but I don't see them as good for basically... anything else. Which is not good.
    IMO it's not going to be good for FPS games at all - the few hands-on videos I've seen show that they're still pretty clumsy. Nobody plays FPS games with a touchpad - it's a load of repetitive swiping combined with a narrow range of motion, it's probably worse than a stick in some ways. The mouse dominates for its massive range of motion and precision. The touchpads so far appear to lack both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I feel like somebody should write a 'The State of SteamOS' thing somewhere, but it would probably be better to wait for a couple more big Linux games.
    It's basically Linux with Steam installed, and everything that entails.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Honestly, I would go with a regular Linux installation + Steam, unless you have an HTPC or don't mind beta testing for free.
    Well, I play games so I'm already doing plenty of free beta testing, might as well extend that to the OS as well! No HTPC though. Which distro should I be looking at, if not SteamOS? I know nothing about Linux except that the Raspberry Pi uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    The Steam Controller has been updated again, now with analog stick (source)
    No, it has not been updated. The only thing we have to go on is the presence of that picture in the steam beta files. They haven't made any announcement one way or the other if they're actually planning to make that change, or if it's just another old design, or if it's still under consideration.

Network Hub
    In any case, this is getting worse with every new iteration. "The Homer" anyone? Next thing: they'll remove one or both of the touchpads.

Steam officially supports Ubuntu (read: it can be easily installed from the built-in app shop). Everything else is kind of unsupported, but certainly possible (there's a .deb package aka. installer for it which should work for most if not all Debian-based distros).

See here for an introduction: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
    Last edited by DanMan; 24-07-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Well, I play games so I'm already doing plenty of free beta testing, might as well extend that to the OS as well! No HTPC though. Which distro should I be looking at, if not SteamOS? I know nothing about Linux except that the Raspberry Pi uses it.
    I'm using Mint and it works lovely. It had a release just a few months ago, and it's here to stay.
    The new Fedora is around the corner (October or so), so I would wait for the new release instead of going with the old version. They are only supported for less than 2 years, and then you must upgrade, but I think it's my personal favourite of the big ones.
    Ubuntu has Unity, so that already disqualifies it for me. Kubuntu might be a good way to try out KDE.
    There's Arch if like living on the bleeding edge.

In doubt, pick one of the big ones.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

I've used Ubuntu for a number of years now as my main operating system. The default user interface is called Unity, and it's a bit different than wither Windows or MacOS, so there's a bit of a learning curve. If you'd prefer something closer to the UI of Windows, there are official (i.e. fully supported) alternative versions of Ubuntu with different interfaces; of those, Lubuntu is closest to a traditional Windows desktop.

somini recommends Mint, which is another excellent Linux option.

All versions of Ubuntu, and of many Linux distributions these days, can be tested out from an install DVD or USB stick before installing to a hard drive. It's a good way to poke around and see whether all your hardware is supported (this is almost always the case, unless you're running something either bleeding edge or incredibly obscure) and that you like it before installing.

Xubuntu's environment is a bit less clunky that Lubuntu's, and has a negligibly larger footprint. If the difference in footprint makes a different then you probably shouldn't be playing games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    By the way, can anyone recommend a game like Animal Crossing for linux? My wife wants in her words, "a managable debt game, where you piddle around" and buy shit. If not for Linux, for PC in general, but I'd really prefer it in linux.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    By the way, can anyone recommend a game like Animal Crossing for linux? My wife wants in her words, "a managable debt game, where you piddle around" and buy shit. If not for Linux, for PC in general, but I'd really prefer it in linux.
    You could direct her towards:

http://www.moneymanagerex.org/

By the time she figures out it isn't a game you could have your household finances balanced and be well on the way to a nest-egg.
    Last edited by frightlever; 26-07-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theclockworkrat View Post
    Xubuntu's environment is a bit less clunky that Lubuntu's, and has a negligibly larger footprint. If the difference in footprint makes a different then you probably shouldn't be playing games.
    Is there a USB bootable version? I couldn't find any.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Does the sims run on Lunix? Sims 2 is free rightnow, Sims 3 also is at times (and Sims 3 plays a lot like Animal crossing with people) ... ps were now officially in off topic land. :D

PS, Google suggests some strange games... http://gameslikefinder.com/games-like-animal-crossing/
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm. I'm having a hard time getting it to work on windows 8, I don't know if it will be harder or easier on linux.