To Frap or not to Frap

As the title suggests, is FRAPS the best programme to record my gaming on to endlessly bore my family with?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If you have an applicable Nvidia card (I think 660 onward) then you can use shadowplay, which is meant to be pretty good for on the fly video capture. It's free and built in, where as fraps is not free and has a tendency to not play nice with some games.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    A few months ago I would've recommended MSI Afterburner, I really liked it and it didn't seem to impact my frame rate as badly as FRAPS did, but then I found some malware on my PC and it appeared to be linked to Afterburner. Also RTSS.exe, something to do with Afterburner, was prone to inexplicably using all my CPU until I quit the process. Maybe your mileage will vary but I wouldn't go back to it now, but that's ok because I do have a GTX 600 series card and Shadowplay is great. Like, really, really good. It can buffer-grab up to either 20 or 30 minutes (I forget) in the past so if you weren't recording then did something that made you wish you'd been recording, you can just hit alt-F10 and it'll save as if it had been recording the whole time. So, yeah, if you have a compatible card (as Jesus says, GTX 660 onwards; GT650s and below, AMD or Intel don't work because they don't have the hardware H.264 encoder you need (i.e. it's not just an arbitrary limitation)), use Shadowplay. It makes pretty much no difference to your frame rate when its working.

cheers guys, i have a 6 series card so i'll try that

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like Xsplit for local recording and streaming. Overlay system is nice and have had less problems with it than FRAPS.

Shadowplay is your best bet to try first with the least performance hit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fraps is unbeatable for quality. But that's because it's lossless. So it also has massive file sizes and a larger hit to CPU use than most. OBS (Open Broadcast System) uses about the same CPU, but encodes so file size is smaller. You can adjust quality from that.

Others such as NVidia Shadow play have even less of a hit to performance. But it depends on what you do. Lots of professional video makers and youtubers still use Fraps because it's lossless. This means when they edit or encode for youtube, the quality is better (less photocopy/JPEG/MPEG degradation effects).

If it's for a quick video etc, or quality above average is ok, then OBS or Shadowplay will be fine. Actually, I find Shadowplay is better quality than OBS, but it may be because my OBS is set to Streaming quality, not recording quality. Shadowplay file size reflects that too, being much less than fraps, but a quiet a bit bigger than OBS.

It's only going to be for occasional bits and pieces so the quality isn't too important.

I should have the first one up this week (an amazing Bloodbowl Touchdown) so will look at the quality then.

Thanks again al

My little brother used to make minecraft videos and switched from fraps to dxtory after reading this link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...-and-thoughts/

If you have a lot of hard drive space to use I'd recommend dxtory. Again, I didn't use it myself, but my brother told me he experienced better framerate and less crashes playing minecraft on his less than mediocre toshiba satellite laptop!