Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

The Steam 2013 Christmas Sale - Here comes Gaben Claus, here comes Gaben Claus...

(...right down Gaben Claus Road)

Game Rules:
    1. Leave it to the last day of the sale to buy something you want unless it is a daily or flash deal. This reduces the chances of you missing out on further savings.
    2. Before you buy a game, ask yourself if you’ll actually play the game. A game that is bought for 75% off but never played is a waste of 100%.
    3. Make sure the game matches your value, not necessarily the price given. Remember, a game will always be cheaper in the future, unless it is already at its cheapest rate. Given how long it takes to get to this stage, what are a few more months of potential waiting?

Also consider this incredibly important point:
    Do you have a backlog? How about how many active games? Chances are yes and “quite a few”. With that in mind, are you actually going to be playing the games you get any time soon? If not, it’s not really worth getting them right away when you have other things you’ve already invested in. You might find that the hype you had for a game was just that.

General thread stuff:
    1. Please ask about games you’re interested in. There’s a whole forum out there of people, many of whom are likely to have played the game you’re thinking of.
    2. Feel free to post impressions of games that are on sale so that people can see what they’re getting involved with.
    3. Keep general bargains from other sites in the bargains thread.
    3a. Unless it’s because they’re doing a better offer than something on Steam. Amazon seem to be attempting to price-match (or beat) Steam, so look out for that.

I’ll try to update this post with useful links/sites, particularly those that give full listings of the sales.
    Thread on the Snow Globe badges for this event.

Additional note: The expected end date of the sale is early January.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Pre-orders don't count towards the holiday cards.

I managed to buy the Bioshit Infinite Season Pass when it was 75% off. I don't even want to play it but it's the first time I took advantage of an error. Good thing the store works well, unlike during past sales...

Also, top lel at Revengeance's pricing error.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    GUess I'll grab Monaco and CS:Go. Been interested in Monaco for a while and the price seems reasonable (although, if anyone wants to go in for a 4-pack, give me a shout) and I enjoyed the various free trials of CS:Go enough to poop out 4 bucks for an occasional match or two.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I told people I either wanted a Steam Wallet giftcard for Christmas, or an axe. So after Christmas I may either be chopping up firewoods, or waiting to see if "The Raven" and/or "Brothers" goes on a salier sale. (Despite Mr. John Walker's misgivings about the last two episodes of "The Raven", I still want to try at least the first third).

For "Brothers" though -- I've never played it, but I think I've been spoiled on all the main "big reveals" and such. It still looks like a fine thing to experience even without some of the surprises, but I'm not sure. Would you still recommend it to one such as me, on the strength of the moment-to-moment experience?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Well, I got a few Pinball FX2 tables at (what I'm guessing is an accidental) 75% off, so I'm pretty much done buying things for myself. That was quick.
    Last edited by vinraith; 19-12-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    For "Brothers" though -- I've never played it, but I think I've been spoiled on all the main "big reveals" and such. It still looks like a fine thing to experience even without some of the surprises, but I'm not sure. Would you still recommend it to one such as me, on the strength of the moment-to-moment experience?

Honestly, no. I loved the game, but the actual gameplay is pretty weak, the story is its one and only selling point. If you already know the major plot points in advance, I wouldn't really recommend it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    ... Wow, Monaco went from 75% to 80% off over the past hour or so
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Also, top lel at Revengeance's pricing error.
    There was a pricing error? I tell you what though, if it does well, it further plants the idea in Japanese publishers to go PC. It's current sales seem to be a very positive sign.

Anyhow, I'd do my daily/flash recommendations, but as I've not played a single game on main offer today, I, err, can't. Just buy all of them, I guess.

I apologise for the title and pun. I hate the 'Gaben' thing (but know others love it, ironically or not) and I was too tired to come up with something equally stupid that made less/more sense.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have doubts Enemy Within will go further than 33% off, but I will hold out until the last day. After finally beating an entire game of classic ironman, I would not mind some fresh content. Although 2nd wave options and trying different building paths await me...Need to get my SHIV and pistol army on.

Ah I remember getting the last Civ5 expansion when it was not supposed be on sale after 1 week of release.

Activated Node
    I honestly don't know what I'd want to buy (I got Dishonoured in the last sale, I'm very nervous about getting MGR:R on preorder, and I don't know 4 people to play Monaco with ;) ).
    I guess I "should" get The Stanley Parable... and I'll probably finally buy Trine, after pondering buying it for years now...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    There was a pricing error? I tell you what though, if it does well, it further plants the idea in Japanese publishers to go PC. It's current sales seem to be a very positive sign.
    It was like 5 Euros more expensive when the sale started.
    I guess buyers can cancel the preorder and get it again, or contact support.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    ... Wow, Monaco went from 75% to 80% off over the past hour or so
    Just FTR, it was 80% off in the last sale too.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't see Metal Gear, here in Ireland at all, only the trailer shows up on search. Is it just Ireland that its blocked in? Also with Dead Island, why are they pointing to the old one and not the new one?

Should I get the Brigmore Witches? I enjoyed the knife, but thought it faded to too much out and out fighting towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Should I get the Brigmore Witches? I enjoyed the knife, but thought it faded to too much out and out fighting towards the end.
    Hells yes. It's awesome.

Of the two, I thought Brigmore was slightly better, but they're both brilliant. I enjoyed them just as much as the main game, which I don't often say about DLC.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think I will have to get it.

Remember folks there are some hidden deals that will never make front page, and one such is Adam's Venture trilogy for €3.24 or your funny money equivalent - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15249/

They aren't the greatest point and click adventure games, they are chistrian theme, so its all biblical and no killing, but they are a fun little Indiana Jonesesque adventure that is well worth the money and an evenings gaming

Activated Node
    @Berzee: If you enjoy looking at pretty graphics and can enjoy a Ico-like experience, just for the atmosphere, then you should buy it. TBH, the story did nothing for me, and I still enjoyed it for the ride.

On the sale: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...25217/wishlist

I'll wait for Daily Deals since I'm still well supplied with games. Dishonored is tempting though - again - but I've already got Bioshock at the last sale, and it just proved to myself again, that I like my melee in 3rd person.
    Last edited by DanMan; 19-12-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    matches your value, not necessarily the price given. Remember, a game will always be cheaper in the future, unless it is already at its cheapest rate.
    Not sure that's been true for a while now. There's so much stuff on Steam, not everything makes the sale these days, and certainly not everything hits the big discount daily deals. Final Hours of Portal 2 is not on sale for example, when it was about a year ago. Nor is WizOrb. King Arthur 2 is a bit more than it was. That's just me looking a bunch of receipts from last year's Christmas sale.

It's a decent rule of thumb for AAA games and 'bigger' indies, but for more obscure stuff, it doesn't always hold true any more.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Well, I got a few Pinball FX2 tables at (what I'm guessing is an accidental) 75% off, so I'm pretty much done buying things for myself. That was quick.
    Any table to recommend? I only want to buy 1 or 2.

Oh, I got a the tables in the $1 tier last Humble bundle.

Edit:

For those who want to organized the games by price or discount use: http://www.steamgamesales.com/

There is also a price history there so you will know if its been cheaper before.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    ... not everything hits the big discount daily deals.
    True. But since the normal discounts run for the whole duration of the sale, it makes sense to delay buying them to the last day of the sale, while keeping an eye on the Dailys.

Network Hub
    Winner of the 'hidden discount' award so far appear to be Gaijin games: Bit.Trip Beat, Core, Fate, Void & Runner are all discounted 90% (and therefore less than 1 euro), and Runner2 at 83%.