Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Steam Christmas Badges

So it seems that this Christmas sale season, which kicks off tonight I believe, according to leaked emails iirc, will include crafting badges and getting a Christmas badge similar to the summer game.

I crafted the EUIV badge and received Snow Globe #10. EUIV is a handy one as there is only 5 cards needed and you get 3 in game. These christmas badges are selling for little at the moment, about 20cent. There are 10 snow globes altogether.

What do people think of these card games valve are playing for the sales? Also if you find game that makes for a cheap badge, let us know here, there might be people that want to craft some for the cards and such.

EUIV ~ 0.70 for the full set of 5 cards.

Network Hub
    The whole constructing of badges is really silly to me, since you get nothing of real value for it. I know people like their metagames though, so I'm happy to keep selling all my cards for a few cents.

I liked it better when you would get DLC and such as rewards for collecting tickets in the old Summer Sale, or Valve sponsored something like the Potato Sack with new free DLC from quite a few games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I enjoyed the thing with the lumps of coal from a couple years back a lot more. Trading them in for coupons, or holding them for a chance to win every game on Steam. The achievements for earning the coal got me to play q ton of games I'd gotten in bundles but hadn't touched yet, like And Yet it Moves and Jamestown. Trading cards and badges do absolutely nothing for me.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by arccos View Post
    The whole constructing of badges is really silly to me, since you get nothing of real value for it. I know people like their metagames though, so I'm happy to keep selling all my cards for a few cents.

I liked it better when you would get DLC and such as rewards for collecting tickets in the old Summer Sale, or Valve sponsored something like the Potato Sack with new free DLC from quite a few games.
    I agree. Especially as I can make my own badges... with crayons. :)

Oh, and I read this thread title as "Christmas Badgers". Dyslexia is both a curse and a funny blessing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    18:00

So they reveal the system and I see a page of 'unknown items' which will be revealed by the community as they're crafted.

18:06

I refresh and almost everything is filled-in

WTG there fellas - no suspense at all :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    grumpy.jpg

tencharacters

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Badgers are amazing - Badges less so - Rewards for playing nasty F2P games even less so

Hey Ho

Lesser Hivemind Node
    bah the rewards for the F2P games are poo but not if you get a rare enough one and can sell it quick, but I expect the price to drop when people get buying. Still they are the rewards you expect from an ingame event, it won't make me play the ones I don't already play from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Also if you find game that makes for a cheap badge, let us know here, there might be people that want to craft some for the cards and such.
    It's not always perfectly accurate, but you might find this page useful if you didn't know about it:

http://ehsankia.com/steam/cards/
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Sold all my Snow Globes and I now I have $10 in my steam wallet.

I'm guessing the price of snow globe will drop after the 3rd community vote.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

My god those things are literally flying off the shelves of my inventory: they go so fast I'm actually questioning the wisdom of selling them in the first place. Bittersweet smile since I have crafted a bunch of badges before they started handing them out.

And! most cards seem to be going up in price. Is this Steam wallet heaven?
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

I knew waiting to craft some badge till winter sale will payoff. Now Im selling all my cards while they still have value.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    My god those things are literally flying off the shelves of my inventory: they go so fast I'm actually questioning the wisdom of selling them in the first place. Bittersweet smile since I have crafted a bunch of badges before they started handing them out.

And! most cards seem to be going up in price. Is this Steam wallet heaven?
    Cards go up in price because the value of crafting a badge is worth more; there have been some badges that, even with the increase in price, have paid for themselves in turns of crafting (craft badge, sell snowglobe and maybe an emoticon, get money back).

Having finally reached Level 30 (without spending any real money, so don't judge me too harshly) I am now fully divesting myself from crafting and enjoying selling the boosters as they roll in :)

Quote Originally Posted by mnemnoch View Post
    I knew waiting to craft some badge till winter sale will payoff. Now Im selling all my cards while they still have value.
    You know what they say, old age doesn't make you wise: wisdom make you wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Cards go up in price because the value of crafting a badge is worth more;
    It's clever, this way cards won't drop in price, as they would during last sale. What I'm wondering is how much the reward items are worth, they should sell for no less than 4-5 € to make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Having finally reached Level 30 (without spending any real money, so don't judge me too harshly) I am now fully divesting myself from crafting and enjoying selling the boosters as they roll in :)
    Still have several games with card drops, so dozens of drops left, I like to pick what to play myself from time to time regardless of it having no cards, and don't like idling too much.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    It's clever, this way cards won't drop in price, as they would during last sale.
    We'll find out in four hours, when tens of thousands of free snow globes start to hit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    We'll find out in four hours, when tens of thousands of free snow globes start to hit the market.
    It's interesting, isn't it? At the end of the day, you only get 1 free globe every 3 votes, your schedule dictated by a clock; conversely, you can craft a lot more more quickly than once a day. It's a matter of balance, the gazillions free cards VS the ones that have been paid for somehow. But Valve (subsequently devs) will surely make overall more money if demand for cards is driven up?

Valve, in theory, makes 5% off the sale price of every card transacation. In practice, that's only true if the card is sold for $1 or more; since that's the case with very few of them, they actually make 10%-20% off most sales. So the more market activity, the more money they make.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I really like warframe, if somebody decide to try a F2P, try this one.

I love badges.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I really like warframe, if somebody decide to try a F2P, try this one.
    Aside from it's obvious lack of any gameplay, it's really polished for sure...

Seriously tho - it's "go here and do random shit which other people will probably have done already - get lost a bit - move along"

Some people are easily pleased I guess...