Metro 2033: The book and the game

Hello people,
    Today I bought the book Metro 2033, mostly because I love the idea of it all but I'm still trying to drum up the courage to play the game (Did I mention I'm a wuss?).

I just wanted to know if the book and the game follow the same storyline or if one might ruin the other, if so I'll probably just read the book and not bother with the game unless it's on some special offer someday.

Never read the books, but the game just reminded me why I don't play corridor shooters anymore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Same story overall. Of course there are changes - some of them pretty big.
    I played the game first, which in turn helped me visualise the book better. They complement each other just fine, go ahead and try them both.

I would say to play the game first, for reasons that if I began to explain them would totally spoil the game.

For people who have played the game, the ending is in the book.

The book itself goes some of the same places as the game, but along different paths and stuff, with some other pieces that are never even hinted at in the game. It's also thick and dense and maybe could have used a different translator.
    Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь.

It's a terrible idea to play the game without reading the book. The game's plot is simpler, easier, dumber and mostly not-so-great due to the fact that it's a game after all. The idea of retrospective history is bad, too. I'd recommend reading the book first, it's easy going, two days or three and it will help you get into the world of the game better - you probably would be able to understand some things that some of the reviewers didn't understand.

Looks like I've got it better reading the book first, it'll probably even be that little kick that makes me get the game in the end.
    Thanks guys!

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Damn, I wish I'd read the book before playing now... well, maybe it's due another playthrough, I'll have to borrow the book from a friend...

Obscure Node
    I definately recommend doing both. I played the game first and am currently reading through the book. It does help me visualize the world, but I think you would be fine doing it in any order. I also really enjoyed the game, it isn't really scary if that is what you are worried about.

Well, there are definitely creepy bits.

For people who have read and played, don't you think that the ending of the book gives away too much of the main gist and ending of the game?

[spoiler]
    test
    [/spoiler]

We need spoiler tags...

I'm more annoyed by the fact that Metro: Last Light destroyed the open-ended nature of the book.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solipsistnation View Post

[spoiler]
    test
    [/spoiler]

We need spoiler tags...
    You can color the text white in the "go advanced" menu.

Spoiler

Not much here.
    Really.

/Spoiler

So, yeah. Spoiler:

I think that the ending of the book reveals too much about the ending of the game, although it only gives you the "bad" ending. I think it might not only give away how the game ends, but also give new players the impression that there IS only the bad ending.

End.

But the book doesn't really have a definite ending

Don't be scared to play metro 2033, it's a damn fine immersive survive 'n' shoot experience. I haven't had any experience of the book but [possibly spoilers erring on side of caution]
    was pleased at how well hidden the different endings were. I just thought I'd finished but I was being measured all along.
    [/spoilers]
    That praise being laden, it does has it's faults in AI and some immersion breaking flip outs. Oh that's right. It was checkpoints. Fucking checkpoints. Prescient AI and checkpointing don't really go hand in hand.

Obscure Node
    Oh do not worry at all about playing the Game.It's not scary at all.I completed it on Ranger Hardcore and if you go stealthy it's very easy.Anyways i recommend playing the Game before you read the book.The story of the book and game is very different but the overall plot is the same.The story of the game is very plane and easy to understand so it doesn't give away much about the book.The book's story is anyhow very vivid and very immersive.There are many references from past events of the book and many times later in the book you'll be like , "Ohhh! Now i get it!" or , "Ah! i remember that!"
    Anyways the series is awesome and you'll love it.
    I also had the question about the book - SPOILER ABOUT THE BOOK
    Hey this is Mihir and I am on the last chapter of this book (chapter 20 - Born to Creep)Reading this book has been a real pleasure and I might start reading the book again once I'm Finished.I just had a question.I can't seem to remember when does Artyom lose his rare passport?I remember reading that Artyom had a very rare passport which was not recognized at some places.I even remember that Mikhail Porfirevich and his grandson along with artyom approach a station after fleeing from the previous station which they were at due to an attack by the opposite station soldiers.This is where Artyom gets separated from Khan.When they approach the station the guards ask them for their passports.Artyom shows his and is accepeted but Mikhail and his grandson don't have one so they aren't allowed.Then a fight breaks out and Mikhail is shot.Then his grandson jumps with rage at a guard and the guard shoots him in the head.Then Artyom with anger shoots one guard and kills him and then he is apprehended by the remaining guards and is then put in prison.Later in chapter 15 or 16 , Melnik and Artyom are at a station discussing something about an entrance to D6 and a man named Tretyak or so.Then they come out with the subject that Artyom doesn't have a passport so he can't cross the Red line or something.Later in chapter 18 or 19 , When Artyom and Ulman are at a station(maybe Aleexevskaya) and are about to go to the surface to direct the homing beacon of the missiles on the Botanical Gardens , Artyom receives his new passport which will grant him permission easily through the Red line or something like that.So yeah , When does he lose his old Passport?I just can't seem to remember.Help would be appreciated.
    Spoiler over.
    With that being said I strongly recommend you play the game first.

@ Mihir

Spoiler: Artyoms passport is taken from him when imprisoned by the Nazis, when he is rescued by the revolutionaries, literally plucked from the hangmans noose, he doesn't have it with him and therefore becomes passport-less

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Whether or not you are into the books (really daft translation, can't get myself to go past page 80), Metro 2033 is a must play, one of the very best linear shooters out there. Very atmospheric but not much of a horror aspect to it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Whether or not you are into the books (really daft translation, can't get myself to go past page 80), Metro 2033 is a must play, one of the very best linear shooters out there. Very atmospheric but not much of a horror aspect to it.
    I didn't encounter any odd translations when reading the book, in fact I found it to be a really easy read overall. I flew through it.

Although, you could be referring to a print of the book translated into a language other than English, in which case disregard my reply :)

I usually find that I'm not very good at coming up with a visual image of things I read in books, and think I enjoyed the book more after playing the game thanks to the help it gave me in visualizing the various places and people it describes. It could be done either way though, your choice.

As for the game and re:scary, while it does have a few scary bits it's never about closet scares (which annoy me more than anything else) and more about tension. It's very, very good about building up tension, especially in the outside sections.