Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar

Skyrim on Steam UK

Skyrim appears to finally be available for UK players, albeit at a jaw-dropping £35. I honestly didn't expect that to happen yet.

Could we be seeing the end of UK retailers throwing a hissy fit over Steam? Rage is up there too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Well Tesco who blanked on Portal 2 & Duke Nukem for PC are selling DXHR. You can certainly order Skyrim & Rage from their online store as well.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    $60 (37 GBP) in the US store, €50 (44 GBP) in Germany. Pfft.

The UK version is a steal!

Yeah, UK£ 35 = 39.6838596 €. For me the price in steam is 49.99€. That is the main reason I dont buy even steam integrated games from steam. Retail prices are much cheaper if you know where to get them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Still time for it to be taken down. I recall Space Marine being viewable up until E3. Price isn't great though, can probably get it elsewhere for less (I'm referring to retail).
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Still time for it to be taken down. I recall Space Marine being viewable up until E3. Price isn't great though, can probably get it elsewhere for less (I'm referring to retail).
    I think the OPs point was more that the games are Steamworks and it's surprising that UK retail hasn't jumped up and down about it like they did with the THQ stuff.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    It's always possible they did and Bethesda told them to bugger off. Not likely perhaps, but a happy thought.

That's what I'm thinking Skal... perhaps whatever pressure retail was putting on publishers, if indeed they were putting any pressure on them, hasn't worked, and the publishers have stood up, or retail has relented.

Is good to see SkyRim is up, even though we've missed out on Hats! I hope we don't see this anymore with games being absent from Steam, for preorder, at release, or after release. Give us the choice, retail or Steam, or other Digital Distribution store... and let us make our own mind up. But retail shouldn't be surprised when we choose Steam/DD because they treat PC customers poorly... I spent Sunday and Monday just past searching for a physical copy of DXHR for PC... No PC section in HMV, 1 shelf in GAME with WoW bundles, SWTOR preorders and a couple recent (not new) releases, despite cardboard cutouts, video screens and shelves dedicated to the game on Console, PCWorld PC Chart had, again, WoW bundles, GW bundles a tatty looking copy of TW2 and 1,001 Card Games in One and the like, no PC games but console games in all of the Supermarkets. I eventually found 1 Augmented Edition (behind the counter, had to ask, and have a difficult conversation with the kid there) in GameStation, which I'd forgot actually existed in our town, the only copy in my city (Stirling). Suffice to say, I'm going to stick with Steam, maybe Amazon, for my future gaming purchases. Certainly not going to walk into a shop any time in the future.
    Last edited by Unaco; 01-09-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

With newer stuff I tend to buy either Steam or digital retail (play or amazon). Savygamer is a great site for hunting down bargains though.

Probable Replicant

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    It's been up on the US store since QuakeCon. There was even a pre-order offer for it, but it was only available to view on Steam via links. You couldn't buy it or even see the price until today.

My pre-order is with Amazon, though. I don't pre-purchase from Steam any more.

Network Hub
    Well as I have on preorder for £20 from tesco (thanks Lewie) I don't think that I will be changing, maybe pricing it at £35 was the only way to appease high street retails

Quote Originally Posted by goatmonkey View Post
    Well as I have on preorder for £20 from tesco (thanks Lewie) I don't think that I will be changing, maybe pricing it at £35 was the only way to appease high street retails
    Rage is at £30, so I'm not sure that's right.

Obscure Node
    goatmonkey did you use the tesco vouchers before they expired?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1280191/tescodeal.png

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Rage is at £30, so I'm not sure that's right.
    There was a limited promo where in Tescos were doing £10 pre-orders of 2 games plus you could get another £5 through savy gamer. I know Jockie pre-ordered RAGE & Skyrim from them for about £38.

Probable Replicant

Yeah, it was £38.60 delivered for both Rage and Skyrim, both of which register on Steam. It was a very popular deal.

Activated Node
    Got that deal too! Thanks Lewie!!!

Now I only hope Tesco know what they're doing (first time I order from them), my confirmation email doesn't specify which format it's supposed to be in but the links on the order page point to the PC... I guess I'll find out in two weeks for Rage (?) and a month and a half for Skyrim...
    <hints id="hah_hints"></hints>

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    There was a limited promo where in Tescos were doing £10 pre-orders of 2 games plus you could get another £5 through savy gamer. I know Jockie pre-ordered RAGE & Skyrim from them for about £38.
    I think some confusion has gone on.

My comment referred to the Steam prices. £35 was suggested as a 'compromise' to appease GAME et al, but that's contradicted by RAGE being £30 on Steam and it too is a Steamworks title.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by townm View Post
    goatmonkey did you use the tesco vouchers before they expired?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1280191/tescodeal.png
    There was an earlier 15% off combined with a £5 off when it was £29