Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar

PlayStation News Thread

Announced at CES
    Last of Us and Beyond on Vita or Bravia at CES show via PlayStation Now with "low latency."
    Subscription model will be available for PlayStation Now. Closed Beta in US at end of January. Full roll out this summer.
    PlayStation Now
    Geoff Keighley verified
    Andrew House announces new streaming game service PlayStation Now, featuring PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

House laying it down, finally
    Last of Us and Beyond on Vita or Bravia at CES show via PlayStation Now with "low latency."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Saw bits of this on twitter while watching a Megaman X1 race. Thanks for compiling the details

Not a fan of the additional subscription, but I understand that they already give a LOT with plus. Depending on the size of the libraries I might grab it, if only to play stuff like Dark Cloud (which probably won't be available anyway). Not gonna unplug my PS3 any time soon though and I still hope Sony decides to lessen the load by at least implementing a PS1 emulator for the PS4 (preferably PS2 as well, but PS1 should be "trivial")
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw in monthly credit to a PS+ sub to let you rent a game. The PS4 PS+ is going to be pretty "tame" compared for a short while.

Bit annoyed that they're only doing the trial in the US, but that just seems to be the way of it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

It's opening first in the US as a beta or something. More details here:

PS.Blog up, seems like they'll be rolling out over time consoles first, then Vita, then Bravia TVs then other devices

Also ability to rent specific games without subscription.
    With PlayStation Now, you will be able to stream popular hits and classic games from the PS3 library, first on PS4 and PS3 systems, followed by PS Vita.
    In addition to PlayStation platforms, most 2014 US models of Sony’s BRAVIA TV lineup will support PS Now. Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing you to stream PlayStation games across a broad range of Internet-connected devices.

We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. We’ll also offer a subscription that will enable you to explore a range of titles.

PS Now will begin a Beta program in the US at the end of January with an expected full roll-out in the US this summer. Be sure to check the PlayStation.Blog regularly for more updates on the PS Now service.
    Not a fan of the additional subscription, but I understand that they already give a LOT with plus. Depending on the size of the libraries I might grab it, if only to play stuff like Dark Cloud (which probably won't be available anyway).
    It might be, it's a Sony published title I believe. And support will be included for PS2 titles I believe.

This is likely a service on top of Plus, rather than included with it btw.

It's basically a Netflix for gaming, except that PS Plus is an infinitely better deal than Netflix (which removes movies constantly and the library of movies actually sucks hardcore...).
    Last edited by rockman29; 07-01-2014 at 07:41 PM.

PlayStation™Now: Bringing Game Streaming to Consoles
    PlayStation Now offers the first ever streaming game service on consoles powered by our exclusive advanced cloud-based technology. Gamers can now play games the same way they stream TV, movies and music…instantly. Starting with PlayStationŽ3 and PlayStationŽ4, and expanding to PlayStationŽVita, BRAVIA TV’s and other Sony and non-Sony devices, PlayStation Now will be available on the electronic devices gamers use most.

PlayStation Now gives gamers instant access to some of PlayStation’s most popular full games. With a wide variety of games to stream, there will always be new challenges to conquer, instantly.

We are excited about the future of game streaming and invite you to keep up with the latest news and updates on the evolution of PlayStation Now in the future.

Register below to be the first to receive exclusive information on PlayStation Now.
    http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow/

When this goes through it will be by far the most robust games streaming service in gaming, bar none.

The library would include PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles. If not even more console libraries.

They have also thrown in a patent (likely not that enforceable, but indicates interest) that draws up some vague method to "patch" games, even very old ones, on the service.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow/

When this goes through it will be by far the most robust games streaming service in gaming, bar none.
    Out of curiosity, who is the competition these days? :p

The library would include PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles. If not even more console libraries.
    Pretty sure they have only announced 1-3, and anything else is gonna be hard to swing (unless you are counting PSP/Vita)

Also, if PSN is any indication, it isn't going to be the whole libraries because getting license rights is VERY hard since a lot of the holders just don't want to sell it for whatever reasons. Hell, if memory serves you can't even play some PS1-exclusive "first party in the sense that Bungie was a first-party developer for MS" games on the Vita in North America for reasons like this.

They have also thrown in a patent (likely not that enforceable, but indicates interest) that draws up some vague method to "patch" games, even very old ones, on the service.
    Yay patent trolls.

Why the fuck would you need a special technique for just installing the patch on the PS3 connected to the server farm (PS3 games) or swapping out the ISO for the PS1/PS2 game?
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Was counting PSP and Vita possibly.

The PS Now (separate from Plus) is likely going to be a Netflix like service (only better, because Netflix kind of sucks, and is only cheap because they constantly remove movies from the service...).

The last part was actually patching games, but more importantly, the idea was to include content additions. It is an idea alone though, with no indication it will actually happen, just a possibility of new content for old games.

The PS Now (separate from Plus) is likely going to be a Netflix like service (only better, because Netflix kind of sucks, and is only cheap because they constantly remove movies from the service...).
    From what we know it is basically any rental service. Amazon Instant Video already lets you rent stuff for a few days. Hell, the PSN lets you rent movies for a few days. It is nothing new

The last part was actually patching games, but more importantly, the idea was to include content additions. It is an idea alone though, with no indication it will actually happen, just a possibility of new content for old games.
    The only things that might get patched are the PS3 and (if they add it) Vita titles, both of which are just a matter of actually patching the games. Which is a simple process that already exists, and getting a patent for that is just a case of trying to hinder the competition through abusing the patent office.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I believe the patent is for the ability to retroactively add trophies to older generation games.
    steam: sketch

From what we know it is basically any rental service. Amazon Instant Video already lets you rent stuff for a few days. Hell, the PSN lets you rent movies for a few days. It is nothing new
    Yes, it is the same thing. The difference is no such service exists for games, or rather one that will be done with so much content and hardware support. Or with so much cash behind it.

As well, the sheer volume of titles on PS platforms is a high ceiling for the potential content which may hit this service.

Streaming games is entirely a new experience for the average user, even if they already stream movies.

The curious thing is what kind of drawbacks/benefits might we see with this service, other than the drawback of latency.

I doubt PS Now compute farms will solely be using stock PS3 hardware, for example. Could be untold riches of emulators designed by Sony in those farms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I believe the patent is for the ability to retroactively add trophies to older generation games.
    Yes, this also, very significant.

Yes, it is the same thing. The difference is no such service exists for games, or rather one that will be done with so much content and hardware support. Or with so much cash behind it.

As well, the sheer volume of titles on PS platforms is a high ceiling for the potential content which may hit this service.
    Then you mean to say "it is bigger" not "it is new"

The curious thing is what kind of drawbacks/benefits might we see with this service, other than the drawback of latency.
    The same drawbacks we saw with onlive. If you are close enough to one of the server farms you will have minimal lag (enough to play SP games and non-twitch MP games). Also, for cost-saving purposes, graphics were medium/medium-high, but for consoles this won't make a difference, so we'll just see a bit of a loss due to potential artifacts due to compression (and considering most of the target households can stream 1080p or even 4k and these will render at 720 or less...).

I doubt PS Now compute farms will solely be using stock PS3 hardware, for example. Could be untold riches of emulators designed by Sony in those farms.
    Emulation is expensive, and the Cell (PS3's processor) is still pretty advanced, even by today's standards. And considering that Sony have (mostly) working PS1 and PS2 emulators on the PS3, it is very reasonable to just have a shit-ton of PS3s (or actual Cell BBEs hooked up to GPUs and the like) in a farm.

Yes, this also, very significant.
    What is significant about this? We have had (HD or otherwise) re-releases for years. All this is is trying to prevent Nintendo and the like from being able to integrate modern features into their back catalogs.

It is all fine and good to be excited about getting backwards compatibility back (I know I am :p), but don't pretend this is revolutionary or all cutting edge heroics. It is onlive, just with an easier target.

It's about re-selling existing libraries, as they have been doing for a long time on PS2, PS3, PSP, and PSVita.

They don't need to remake every game on PS1 and PS2. That's like 15,000 games. Just repackage with trophies and sell, that's why it's significant. If publishers want they can even add bonuses to the games that weren't in the original copies, or even merge games together with similar content (MGS + VR missions).

Again, it's not an indication they will do anything, it's just a possibility of things they could do.

PS4 notably does not currently have PS1 or PS2 game support, even ones bought from the PS Store, and of course not PS3.

This is one of the greatest CES keynotes ever.

Kaz Hirai, President and CEO of Sony, leads the keynote as the main speaker.

His speech is rather extraordinary, and I highly recommend watching the first 30 minutes in which he speaks. He also brings Vince Gilligan, creator of Breaking Bad, to the show.

Andrew House shows up at the 40 min mark and shows off PS Now.

Very significantly, the only developer which had a time slot and spotlight in the show was Media Molecule at 35 min (second best part of the show to Kaz's speech).

This is rather amazing, because Media Molecule is a recent developer (their 3 games being LBP, LBP2, and Tearaway). And their games, full of User Generated Content, tied in heavily with the whole theme of the show which was giving freedom to users of all devices to be creative.

And of course they name drop Tearaway as the latest in this line of giving players that opportunity to be creative and put their own stamp on the game.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because MM is working on a game for PS4 that is likely going to receive a huge push from Sony on PS4, and there is no doubt it will be heavily designed around user made art and design.

If you watch the video of the CES keynote (Kaz's speech during the first 30 min) and then watch this, you will get what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whc7kAi5QgU
    Last edited by rockman29; 11-01-2014 at 06:45 PM.

It's about re-selling existing libraries, as they have been doing for a long time on PS2, PS3, PSP, and PSVita.
    So it is about doing what they are already doing?

They don't need to remake every game on PS1 and PS2. That's like 15,000 games. Just repackage with trophies and sell, that's why it's significant. If publishers want they can even add bonuses to the games that weren't in the original copies, or even merge games together with similar content (MGS + VR missions).
    THey haven't remade the games, that is WHY they worked to get the PS2 software emulation working near the tail-end of the PS3. They have software emulators that can run the PS1/PS2 ISOs. And honestly, I don't see them as having any excuse to not at least have software PS1 emulation on the PS4 (PS2 they should, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it is still really difficult).

PS4 notably does not currently have PS1 or PS2 game support, even ones bought from the PS Store, and of course not PS3.
    People are well aware of this...

This is one of the greatest CES keynotes ever.
    What makes it great? Reading what you actually said, I don't even know what the subject was, but it sure as hell wasn't games.

I understand you are excited, but think about WHY you say something is amazing or WHY you say something is significant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    PS Now is interesting. But they not have shown it in a practical environment. Their server running it was down the hall.

Network Hub
    For some reason I'm reminded an old Penny Arcade strip:

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    So it is about doing what they are already doing?
    Yes, but slightly expand upon it. What's the big deal about it? Christ. I know it's already done via emulator... thanks...

And why do you feel the need to reply to every ounce of word I post?

If you want to make a point, you can do it without the messaging equivalent of "you're a damn idiot."

If you can't do that, you just need to stop, seriously. If you just disagree, just say so. You don't need to be so damn obtuse and rude about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    PS Now is interesting. But they not have shown it in a practical environment. Their server running it was down the hall.
    Yea, they have to show it in a practical environment.

I have not tried Remote Play from PS4 myself, but some have reported it is quite responsive over LTE connections. But this is only anecdotal. I assume Gaikai technology for video compression and decompression is similar in the PS4 and Vita.
    Last edited by rockman29; 12-01-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Yes, but slightly expand upon it. What's the big deal about it? Christ. I know it's already done via emulator... thanks...

If you want to make a point, you can do it without the messaging equivalent of "you're a damn idiot."

If you can't do that, you just need to stop, seriously. If you just disagree, just say so. You don't need to be so damn obtuse and rude about it.

Yea, they have to show it in a practical environment.

I have not tried Remote Play from PS4 myself, but some have reported it is quite responsive over LTE connections. But this is only anecdotal. I assume Gaikai technology for video compression and decompression is similar in the PS4 and Vita.
    I've been able to get Remote Play working through my Vita up to 15km away on standard internet connections in Dublin. Both connections where about 30d/3u and there was no noticeable lag while playing Lego Marvel Superheros or Don't Starve today. Warframe is about the only game that didn't run when you try to take it online in multiplayer.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

How am I being obtuse? You are repeatedly acting as though this is an amazing and revolutionary service and you kind of DO sound like a "games journalism" article, but so far every pro you have mentioned isn't anything particularly new and much of it is kind of dickish when you think about it (the patent, not doing PS1 or PS2 games on PS4, etc)

I was bored one day and was nearing the day when my magic interwebs resets so I tested it out. Worked great and I was able to play some Resogun a few miles away, but ate up data REALLY fast.

As onlive and the like showed us: This should work pretty well for "most" people, but don't expect to be playing Marvel Vs Capcom 3 or a fast paced FPS (did the PS3 even have one of those? :p) competitively over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I've been able to get Remote Play working through my Vita up to 15km away on standard internet connections in Dublin. Both connections where about 30d/3u and there was no noticeable lag while playing Lego Marvel Superheros or Don't Starve today. Warframe is about the only game that didn't run when you try to take it online in multiplayer.
    That's really impressive. I've never had the chance to try it like this yet.

Don't Starve is quite awesome also... had it not been for PS Plus, I would've never played the game (unless it came on a PC indie bundle or something). Addictive game... already wasted plenty of hours on it... lol.

How am I being obtuse? You are repeatedly acting as though this is an amazing and revolutionary service and you kind of DO sound like a "games journalism" article, but so far every pro you have mentioned isn't anything particularly new and much of it is kind of dickish when you think about it (the patent, not doing PS1 or PS2 games on PS4, etc)
    Well thanks, I'm sorry I sound like such an advertisement I guess. I only mentioned the patent because it is related to digital distribution of old titles.

And it's a thread about PlayStation. And what on Earth you got so offended about I don't even know frankly.

All I said it was "significant" because a user offered a reason why it could be relevant to why the patent was made. Which makes what he said relevant and significant, because it could have some meaning to what happens to the old games which are sold in the future.

PS Now does seem, IMO, a pretty revolutionary service, to be done on such scale. If you don't feel the same way, just say so, instead of accusing me of being a shill.... christ.
    Last edited by rockman29; 12-01-2014 at 11:03 PM.

If PS Now lets me play all those PS3 exclusives I missed last year, without me having to buy a PS3 I'll be happy with it. I don't care if it doesn't let me be competitive with last generations multiplayer games, because they're last years multiplayer games and have most likely already been replaced.

If it throws in a couple of PS1 and PS2 classics then even better.

I was impressed when it worked at that distance. I didn't expect it to. The most testing attempt at Remote Play was when I was sitting on a bus travelling from outside of Dublin, into Dublin, using the buses public wifi travelling at about 50kph. The Vita connected to the PS4 and I could get into Resogun, but it was pretty much unplayable. Considering the conditions I was in, I was surprised enough that the connection was even made in the first place.

Steam ID