Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 463
  1. #21
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    PS Now does seem, IMO, a pretty revolutionary service, to be done on such scale. If you don't feel the same way, just say so, instead of accusing me of being a shill.... christ.
    I am trying to figure out WHY you think it is revolutionary, and you have yet to really have a reason beyond "I really like it". I like it too, but I am not gonna be calling Sony revolutionaries or visionaries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    If PS Now lets me play all those PS3 exclusives I missed last year, without me having to buy a PS3 I'll be happy with it. I don't care if it doesn't let me be competitive with last generations multiplayer games, because they're last years multiplayer games and have most likely already been replaced.

    If it throws in a couple of PS1 and PS2 classics then even better.

    I was impressed when it worked at that distance. I didn't expect it to. The most testing attempt at Remote Play was when I was sitting on a bus travelling from outside of Dublin, into Dublin, using the buses public wifi travelling at about 50kph. The Vita connected to the PS4 and I could get into Resogun, but it was pretty much unplayable. Considering the conditions I was in, I was surprised enough that the connection was even made in the first place.
    To be fair, once it is proven to work over magic internet phone bandwidth, distance stops really mattering all that much (within reason). Because magic internet phone bandwidth is pretty shitty :p

    I imagine that as long as you have a solid internet connection it will work around the globe, but you'll have some lag issues after a while. The reason Sony wants to make sure they have semi-localized servers is the same reason MMOs do it: Because not everyone has a solid internet connection and the further the geographic distance the more potential for "clogged pipes" as it were (plus the actual latency added due to the distance and the signal needing to be propagated).

    I wouldn't be surprised if the redcoats and the frenchies and the like can't just use an NA account to access PS Now this summer, but I also wouldn't play Metal Gear Rising or basically anything that needs quick reflexes until the local servers are up.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  2. #22
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,185
    I don't really care about using it over the internet phone. Wifi connections are plentiful here (our buses have them as already mentioned) and in reality, I'm not going to be playing The Last of Us in a coffee shop on my 3G mobile network. I'm going to be sat in front of my PS4 and streaming it that way over the best solid, reliable network I have available on my end.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  3. #23
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I don't really care about using it over the internet phone. Wifi connections are plentiful here (our buses have them as already mentioned) and in reality, I'm not going to be playing The Last of Us in a coffee shop on my 3G mobile network. I'm going to be sat in front of my PS4 and streaming it that way over the best solid, reliable network I have available on my end.
    Same, but my point is that it is already shown to work with shitty internet connections, so having a good one should remove most issues :p

    Of course, that is effectively peer to peer (PS4 connects to router connects to magic internet land connects to access point connects to Vita), whereas this would have a real server, but I would think that would only make it better.

    Of course, if Sony really DO want to go all out they might take a decentralized approach where people let their idle PS3s act as servers for other people, but I really doubt they'll bother, if only because their OS/firmware is utter shit and there would probably be massive security issues. Still would be nifty to take a page out of the book of private torrent trackers: For every minute of uptime you give with your PS3 you get 30 seconds of game time on the cloud (or 45, or even 1:1).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Oh, for those of you with PS+ and either a PS3 or Vita, Sony is having a rather good sale starting tomorrow. And if you are in the US, sign up for Sony Rewards to get a shit-ton of points on any purchases of the games on sale.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I am trying to figure out WHY you think it is revolutionary, and you have yet to really have a reason beyond "I really like it". I like it too, but I am not gonna be calling Sony revolutionaries or visionaries.
    Because of the scale.

    Because it might actually work.

    Because the library of games may end up ridiculously large and it might change the way people who game on PlayStation devices play games. Which is on the order of 10s of millions of people who play games.

    And because this service won't even require a games console or hardware to use, just a TV or a tablet and a Dualshock 3.

    Netflix was not new, the idea was not new. But it still revolutionized the way people watch movies in the home.

    Why are people so offended when people like other things than them? Christ. They must be idiots/shills for that.

    You want to be childish about it, and take the term "revolution" as only in the way you could understand it, creating a little straw man argument for yourself (LOL everyone who uses the word revolution MUST be retarded), and get offended about every little word someone else says, just because it is not consistent with your own view of the videogame market, that's your problem mate.

    *slow clap*

    I like it too, but I am not gonna be calling Sony revolutionaries or visionaries.
    Good for you.

    If you disagree, just say so, instead of this insufferable "I'm smarter because I use my words better herp derp" method.

    All I said in the end is that it could be an pretty good service that a lot of people use to play games, that's it. If you weren't being such an obtuse forum tard, you would realize that.

    Of course, if Sony really DO want to go all out they might take a decentralized approach where people let their idle PS3s act as servers for other people, but I really doubt they'll bother, if only because their OS/firmware is utter shit and there would probably be massive security issues. Still would be nifty to take a page out of the book of private torrent trackers: For every minute of uptime you give with your PS3 you get 30 seconds of game time on the cloud (or 45, or even 1:1).
    That's nice.

    If you're idea is so amazing, why don't you pitch it to Sony and see if you get hired by their Gaikai/PS Now team?

    Oh wait... they already have qualified professionals on it...

    But I'm sure the forum warriors like yourself know much better how to manage an international project and deal with ISPs from many different countries to institute a streaming service for games.
    Last edited by rockman29; 15-01-2014 at 09:02 PM.

  6. #26
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    211
    I would be more interested in Playstation Now if it was here, well, now. Like almost everything else that's meant to define the 'next generation' it's deferred to the indefinite future. Of course that's just the way things are: stuff takes time, bigger stuff takes more time. But expecting consumers to get excited about it in the meantime or -- to take a slightly broader tack -- to buy your new consoles based upon promissory notes is, well, a bit daft.

  7. #27
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Because of the scale.

    Because it might actually work.
    Yeah, Onlive already worked, it is just that their target demographic all subscribe to the philosophy of "Fuck you, my computer is strong"

    Because the library of games may end up ridiculously large and it might change the way people who game on PlayStation devices play games. Which is on the order of 10s of millions of people who play games.
    How will it change it? As it stands, we have PS1 games on the PS3 and Vita and we have PS2 games on the PS3.

    And because this service won't even require a games console or hardware to use, just a TV or a tablet and a Dualshock 3.
    THat is actually something I find to be interesting but time will tell how far Sony goes with that. Because they had their PS Mobile crap (and I think even PS1 games on android) that has always been limited to a VERY specific subset of devices

    Netflix was not new, the idea was not new. But it still revolutionized the way people watch movies in the home.
    Netflix was just one of many "on demand content" solutions. Even tv providers have their own (really shitty) systems for watching the latest episode of a reality TV show at a later date

    Why are people so offended when people like other things than them? Christ. They must be idiots/shills for that.
    Considering that you keep calling it "the best thing ever" and "revolutionary", I am sure you can understand how you come across as slightly shilly. But I am serious: What is so great and revolutionary about this. At best right now, it is the netflix of console gaming

    You want to be childish about it, and take the term "revolution" as only in the way you could understand it, creating a little straw man argument for yourself (LOL everyone who uses the word revolution MUST be retarded), and get offended about every little word someone else says, just because it is not consistent with your own view of the videogame market, that's your problem mate.
    ... what?

    Ignoring the irony of actually accusing me of straw manning you while building your own straw man, the point is that PS Now isn't doing all that much that is new and we don't have amny details. What we DO have is that it is a subscription service (will be interesting to see if it gets screwed over by the recent ruling against the FCC since it isn't an established service so nobody will know the difference if they get boned on it) and that SOny are being dicks about patents

    If you disagree, just say so, instead of this insufferable "I'm smarter because I use my words better herp derp" method.
    I already said I am excited for it, and I am just curious as to what I am missing that makes this so amazing.

    All I said in the end is that it could be an pretty good service that a lot of people use to play games, that's it. If you weren't being such an obtuse forum tard, you would realize that.
    Please don't resort to insults and namecalling


    If you're idea is so amazing, why don't you pitch it to Sony and see if you get hired by their Gaikai/PS Now team?

    Oh wait... they already have qualified professionals on it...

    But I'm sure the forum warriors like yourself know much better how to manage an international project and deal with ISPs from many different countries to institute a streaming service for games.
    Actually I pretty much said why there isn't much of a chance for that since it limits how much they can charge us and that the PS3's firmware is utter shite (as I was once again reminded of when I made room to download PS+ Uncharted 3 so I can get the completion trophies on my own account, rather than a friend's). Was hilarious how regularly it would hide the downloads, pretend nothing installed, etc. It was a system designed when consoles were still primarily offline and games were all disc-based, so it runs into issues with the purely digital stuff.

    Also: I am not a Forum Warrior. If anything I am a Forum Bard due to my tendency to sing songs when bored and my general ineffectiveness :p

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    I would be more interested in Playstation Now if it was here, well, now. Like almost everything else that's meant to define the 'next generation' it's deferred to the indefinite future. Of course that's just the way things are: stuff takes time, bigger stuff takes more time. But expecting consumers to get excited about it in the meantime or -- to take a slightly broader tack -- to buy your new consoles based upon promissory notes is, well, a bit daft.
    Well, to be fair, I don't think they are selling consoles based on PS Now. For the PS4, it is a way to one-up MS (since neither PS4 nor XBONE are backwards compatible) and this is a general attempt to get in on "the next big thing". Time will tell if it succeeds or if they are just making an attempt so that they can have an argument when it comes time to sue people for violating patents.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  8. #28
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,494
    I'm sorry, I'm calling you obtuse, because that's exactly what you are deliberately doing. You were doing it before, and doing it now, by taking everything I have been saying extremely literally.

    iPhones revolutionized the phone market, despite not being the first smartphones. Wahhh, revolutionary word.

    iPods revolutionalized the music market, despite not being the first MP3 players. Moar wahhhh. And Walkman's did the same before it. Wahhh.

    Netflix revolutionized the way people digest video and movie content, despite services being offered on traditional TV payment models, because they were entirely separate from those payment models.

    Tablets and smartphones kept coming along and revolutionized the casual gaming market and portable marketplace for games. WAhhhhhhhhh.... too much revolution.

    A sophisticated version of OnLive/Gaikai that plays all PlayStation library games, without even needing a PlayStation certified device? Yes, that's pretty revolutionary for PlayStation and could change the way millions of players play games.

    Oh, that's not "enough" for you? Doesn't "fit your definition?" Please. Can you stop the pedantry already? Oh no wait, you can't, and you want the last word I guess. Awwww... millions of people playing games in a different way, but awwww..... I can't call it revolution because I don't like it wahhhhhh... Gawd, cry me a river.

    Do I have to say SteamOS could be revolutionary too to make everyone feel better? Aww, OK.

    You don't like the word revolutionized (cry me a river), and want to build an argument based on pedantry? Go right ahead and keep on doing that then.

    Seriously, you're entire opposition to my posting is based on that single thing? You need to spend 10 posts to try to convince someone that they used "too strong a word?" Did it hurt your ears, kill your cat, hurt your grandma or something, because I said revolutionary? You really need to reply again to say how offensive it was I used the word revolutionary?

    I bet you can't wait to respond to this one too, aww.

    ----

    This thread was meant to actually just mention PS News, not for you to fellate yourself on "how much Gundato can be obtuse and be a pedant."

    If I wanted that, I would've made the title something else.
    Last edited by rockman29; 16-01-2014 at 01:21 AM.

  9. #29
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm calling you obtuse, because that's exactly what you are deliberately doing. You were doing it before, and doing it now, by taking everything I have been saying extremely literally.
    I am obtuse for responding to what you write and asking you what you mean, rather than instinctively knowing what you mean?

    iPhones revolutionized the phone market, despite not being the first smartphones. Wahhh, revolutionary word.
    When Halo was announced and when iphones were announced, they were very iterative and built on things that existed. They were influential, but we only can know that after the fact.

    There is a big difference between being revolutionary and having a humongous impact. The former was something like bitcoins when it was first announced. The latter is what you are predicting PS Now will do

    A sophisticated version of OnLive/Gaikai that plays all PlayStation library games, without even needing a PlayStation certified device? Yes, that's pretty revolutionary for PlayStation and could change the way millions of players play games.
    Except that there is a good chance that a lot of titles that you can already buy on the PSN won't be there for licensing purposes, as I mentioned. Just look at the PS Vita and how a lot of PS1 games need to be downloaded to the PS3 first.

    Do I have to say SteamOS could be revolutionary too to make everyone feel better? Aww, OK.
    Actually, pretty much everyone will call you an idiot for that one :p.

    Seriously, you're entire opposition to my posting is based on that single thing? You need to spend 10 posts to try to convince someone that they used "too strong a word?" Did it hurt your ears, kill your cat, hurt your grandma or something, because I said revolutionary? You really need to reply again to say how offensive it was I used the word revolutionary?
    My point is that you seem very excited but don't seem to really have a reason why beyond "HYPE!". I am TRYING to ask you why and figure things out, but you are kind of just throwing a hissy fit.

    This thread was meant to actually just mention PS News, not for you to fellate yourself on "how much Gundato can be obtuse and be a pedant."
    Dude, if I could fellate myself I would NEVER be online. They would find me, completely dehydrated with my mouth covered in my own semen. I imagine the daily talk show circuits would use my story as a cautionary tale for why yoga is evil.



    In all seriousness though, throwing a hissy fit and saying "waaa waa" just makes you sound like a douche and doesn't really help your arguments.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  10. #30
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,494
    You're STILL upset about the word revolutionized? Wow...
    My point is that you seem very excited but don't seem to really have a reason why beyond "HYPE!". I am TRYING to ask you why and figure things out, but you are kind of just throwing a hissy fit.
    I gave you a reason (gaming on completely unconventional means of distribution, or completely on the go, untethered to consoles/PCs).

    Unfortunately the forum has people like yourself that just want to piss all over everything and suggest nothing is good enough, and cry about the fact that it's not good enough for your royal forum lexicon to be defined as revolutionary enough.

    If you really feel THAT strongly about using the term revolutionized, make your own thread and discuss it somewhere else for fuck's sake.
    In all seriousness though, throwing a hissy fit and saying "waaa waa" just makes you sound like a douche and doesn't really help your arguments.
    You're kidding right... I think you are confused. I'm not arguing with you.

    I'm just telling you what an arsehole forum tard you are being. You're trolling the thread, hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    I would be more interested in Playstation Now if it was here, well, now. Like almost everything else that's meant to define the 'next generation' it's deferred to the indefinite future. Of course that's just the way things are: stuff takes time, bigger stuff takes more time. But expecting consumers to get excited about it in the meantime or -- to take a slightly broader tack -- to buy your new consoles based upon promissory notes is, well, a bit daft.
    There is no schedule for EU, but I think they said January 2014 is the beta (closed I guess) for US, and I think they said launch for US is sometime this summer.

    Not quite indefinite. I actually thought the launch would have been much longer away, there was never really any indication before this that Gaikai was even ready to take off anytime this year or next or in the near future, and suddenly it's announced at CES 2014.
    Last edited by rockman29; 16-01-2014 at 03:56 AM.

  11. #31
    Vector Jams O'Donnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Burgh of Mussels
    Posts
    830
    Get a room, gentlemen.

  12. #32
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    You're kidding right... I think you are confused. I'm not arguing with you.

    I'm just telling you what an arsehole forum tard you are being. You're trolling the thread, hard..
    Ah, apologies. I was attempting to have a discussion. You can understand how I got confused, seeing as how this is a forum for those.

    Not quite indefinite. I actually thought the launch would have been much longer away, there was never really any indication before this that Gaikai was even ready to take off anytime this year or next or in the near future, and suddenly it's announced at CES 2014.

    Actually, Sony have pretty much been saying we would see this during 2014 since Summer of last year. NA (potentially just US, not sure if Canada counts) gets it "in 2014" and EU gets it "later", which is consistent with the continuing info from Sony
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  13. #33
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    You are over hyping it a bit to much, especially since we have not seen a practical demo of the service yet.

    We have not seen a game list. How much of the old library will they have licensed on the new service? Will it be larger than the current PSN or just PSN + PS3 compatibility on other hardware? Details are are light right now we can not say this will be the next best thing since sliced bread for gaming.

    We can be hyped and look forward to Now. It sounds great, it has potential. But to over hype it before seeing it live and what it actually offers is a bit premature.


    Will I have access to .hack, Shadow Hearts, Suikoden 3, Dark Coud 2, Atelier Iris? Ogre Battle, Legend of Legaia, that bad Star Wars fighting game, Chrono Cross, Wargames, Azure Dreams, Vandal Hearts II?

    Or will it be the current library of PSN games that work on PSP/PS3/Vita combo? Will non digital disc games be available? How will tablet controls work? TV controls? Will you require a Dualshock 3 or 4 to use it?

    If those were answered I could be on the hype train.

    Oh I see the Dualshock 3 will be required on Tablet and TVs. Disappointing the DS4 is not compatible. Once you use it you do not want to go back.


    I am more hyped about VitaTV coming to NA. Cheaper Vita and allows me to stream PS4 to a different TV.

  14. #34
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,494
    Are there some guidelines on how much one is allowed to "hype" something? Please, direct me to that. Do you guys have to read into someone's post about a videogame service that much? A little unnecessary? Here's a thought: drop it already? If you have some comments about it, it doesn't need to center over my "terribly offensive conjecture."

    If you guys have opinions, surely they can stand on their own merits or your own words and judgment, rather than insulting others' apparently "poorly chosen words" (re: mine). I have all the same questions about the service. The only thing I ever suggested is that it could change the way a lot of people play games.

    Some of you are posting like you could really come up with a rationale of how that suggestion warranted attacking of several posts length. Please, next time, if you just disagree just say so. Dear lord. Again, for eff's sake, please just drop it, enough with the sideswiping and attacks already and unnecessary singling out.. Christ, you guys can't feel that strongly about it or offended that much about someone finding a possible new service rather interesting, to keep on this for another page can you? :/
    Actually, Sony have pretty much been saying we would see this during 2014 since Summer of last year. NA (potentially just US, not sure if Canada counts) gets it "in 2014" and EU gets it "later", which is consistent with the continuing info from Sony
    Likely just US.

    Not that there aren't usually some easy ways to access it from Canada, not usually a big problem. I can't even remember if my PSN is US or Canada based anymore.
    Last edited by rockman29; 16-01-2014 at 11:17 PM.

  15. #35
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,185
    The EU blog has been reposting everything about PS Now, so I assume they're not going to take forever and a day to get around to releasing it here. It'll probably be after summer sure, but if we're lucky it'll be before the end of the year.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  16. #36
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The EU blog has been reposting everything about PS Now, so I assume they're not going to take forever and a day to get around to releasing it here. It'll probably be after summer sure, but if we're lucky it'll be before the end of the year.
    Based on US/NA getting a limited beta at the end of the month and the full version in Summer, I suspect the EU will get their limited beta before or around summer for the full release in the fall/winter (since I vaguely recall Sony saying EU gets it "later in the year").


    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Are there some guidelines on how much one is allowed to "hype" something? Please, direct me to that. Do you guys have to read into someone's post about a videogame service that much? A little unnecessary? Here's a thought: drop it already? If you have some comments about it, it doesn't need to center over my "terribly offensive conjecture."
    Dude, you can say whatever the hell you want to, just expect people to comment on it and to discuss things with you. If that is a real problem for you, you have two options:

    1. Preface every single one of your posts with "I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT ANYTHING I SAY DON'T RESPOND TO ME GO FUCK YOURSELF!"
    2. Don't post on a discussion forum. Stick with reddit where people replying to other people (or reading anything) is far from the norm :p

    Not that there aren't usually some easy ways to access it from Canada, not usually a big problem. I can't even remember if my PSN is US or Canada based anymore.
    Depends how Sony handles it. If they use the same deal as the current PSN, then all you need is a spare US account (or EU, if you want War Thunder) on your console and you set the primary to whatever region you want. But considering that they are likely doing region restriction to avoid negative impressions I suspect they might do an actual IP-based region lock (similar to Steam). And while I am sure there are ways to put all your PS4 traffic through a proxy, not sure if it would be worth it
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  17. #37
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Looks like they are indeed "just" taking a Cell BBE installation and adding GPUs and what not

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...laystation-now

    And it looks like EU may have been bumped back to Q1 2015. Or it was always there and I just never paid attention :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  18. #38
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    I find the service interesting. Never said I did not. I am excited.

    You talked about being excited by their sheer volume of PS games. We are excited by that access. But history tells us, especially in the PC world and even on PS3 that does not me automatically all games will be available. Licensing issues will bottleneck that up until we are told otherwise that the game will be available.

    Lots of new MMO games will be hyped up based on early information. Fans will be made before the game is even playable. And others will be justified in questioning the premature hype.


    With more and more data providers pushing for data caps, not everyone is going to have the room to use this service.

    Onlive really only worked if you were close enough to a datacenter. Which will be in big cities. Rural communities will see no benefit from this service due to distance and smaller bandwidth available to them. Netflix at least has a decent SD and works on slower speeds.

  19. #39
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,494
    I heard OnLive was quite good as well, but it never took off. I think I remember it running some pretty up to date games though.

    But back then, it was even worse with internet speeds I think, so I'm not surprised it didn't take off. It neither had a following or established userbase/account system.

    I never tried OnLive personally though.

    One reason I think Gaikai/PS Now could have more success is having that established user base that could be interested in the brand/accounts carrying over/consistent games (somewhat).

    But also the investment, Sony I believe bought Gaikai for $3 billion. That cash itself is gone, but it implies that Sony was ready for a significant investment to gradually get this going over the long haul. It does not sound like an impulse on the part of PlayStation to be expanding in here.
    With more and more data providers pushing for data caps, not everyone is going to have the room to use this service.
    For me this is the opposite (can't speak for the other millions of people though).

    In two places I have unlimited internet access now, which is fantastic... I've never had it once before anywhere.... recently in one place it was ~25 to ~125 GB per month, neither which is that horrible, but kind of horrible depending on how I wanted to use it. But now.... always unlimited for me, I love it...

    In one place also I only pay $30 USD a month for unlimited internet (no phone/TV). Which to me is an amazing price.

    Completely aside from this...

    When I was in university, I had a 1 GB limit per day, which is not that bad really at the time.... but the problem was if I went over I had to deal with days without internet access. It was horrible!

    I am sooo happy that with next-gen here, and having a new PC, I have unlimited internet access for once. It's such a relief to not think about any sort of data caps.

    Edit -

    Just found this on another forum:



    Apparently that solves it for me, Canada also gets the beta... but I'm in USA anyway for now. Correction: Canada only gets the launch, no confirmation of beta.

    More information:

    Sony creates custom PS3 hardware for PlayStation Now
    Dedicated servers house eight PS3s, built from the ground up for cloud gameplay.
    Sony has developed brand new PS3 hardware to power its PlayStation Now streaming service, revealed earlier this month at CES in Las Vegas. Sources who have been briefed on the project suggest that the new PlayStation 3 consists of eight custom console units built into a single rack server. It's the new PlayStation hardware that everyone will have access to, but few will actually see.

    ...

    To understand this, we start by looking back at the PC-driven OnLive and Gaikai services, which are very similar. The idea with those services is that games run at 60Hz (or even higher) on PC hardware, lowering end-to-end latency by something in the region of 50ms compared to the console 30fps standard. Second-gen cloud hardware like GeForce Grid actually improves on that significantly by tying the video encoder directly into the graphics hardware.
    Again for those who don't know, PS Now basically is being made by those behind Gaikai. David Perry I believe is still on the project with Sony, he was the founder/CEO of Gaikai I believe. Sony bought them for $3 billion.
    Last edited by rockman29; 17-01-2014 at 11:49 PM.

  20. #40
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,494
    Sony Engineer Compares PS4 to Formula 1 Car; Shares Detailed Schematics and Info on Cooling Solution
    Sony’s Engineering Director Yasuhiro Ootori is considered one of the main masterminds behind the design of the PS4, and yesterday he held a special lecture on the console’s cooling solution at the INTERNEPCON Japan trade show in Tokyo, as reported by Japanese websites Famitsu and Inside Games.
    Not only Ootori-san gave a detailed rundown on the heat management design of the PS4, but compared it with the designs included in the PS2 and in the three different models of the PS3.
    Putting both reports together we learn some quite interesting details about the engineering of Sony’s new console:

    The cooling solution of the PS4 follows a mix of the basic designs of version G and N of the PS3 (the second and third iterations).
    The airflow design of the PS4 is based on the PS3 version N, while the power supply, heat sink and cooling fan derive from the know-how gathered while building version G.
    Air coming from the intake port is split in two and used to cool both the bottom and the top of the main board, then flows into the heat sink, cools the internal power source and then is expelled through the exhaust port.
    The airflow is regulated and channeled thanks to the difference between areas of positive pressure and negative pressure generated by the cooling fan.
    The design of the heat sink is simple, with two heat pipes. The pitch of the fins has been improved by giving it a different angle in the low speed area compared to where the air flows faster, and the design of the blades has been optimized for the PS4.
    The fan has been given a trapezoidal shape when seen from the side: during experimental testing the engineering team determined that this peculiar shape reduces the noise generated by turbulence.
    The motor that propels the fan is a three-phase one. It’s slightly more costly than the single-phase motors used in the PS2 and PS3, but allows for lower power consumption and less vibration at lower rotational speeds.
    Since in video games graphical load and heat generation varies very sharply, the PS2 and PS3 had a problem where their fans would not decrease in rotational speed efficiently when load dropped suddenly. This problem doesn’t appear in the PS4, reducing the overall noise.
    The PS4 has a sensor that measures the temperature of the air passing through the exhaust area. Thanks to that, it’s possible to control the surface temperature of the shell.

    A comparison between the efficiency of the cooling solution of the PS4 with the three PS3 models and the PS2 was also made.

    The PS4 has a heat treatment capacity compared to the volume of the unit similar (slightly lower) to the first PS3 model despite being much smaller.
    The airflow is considerably more powerful than that of the G version of the PS3 and similar to that of the N version.
    The area of the intake and exhaust ports is quite a lot lower than the first PS3 that was “full of holes,” but higher than the other two models, while keeping a natural design.
    During gameplay the noise level is comparable to the latest model of the PS3, despite the much higher graphical load. On the dashboard noise is much inferior thanks to the three-phase motor of the fan.
    The Ps4 has a much lower power consumption ratio for its fan compared to the total power required by the console than all models of the PS3. The fan uses only 10 W of the 250 W provided by the power source, for a ratio of only 4%
    The PS4 beats the earlier models of the PS3 (but not the latest one) for heat treatment capability per dollar cost, being able to dissipate the heat generated by 5.1 W per dollar.
    Concluding his lecture Ootori-san mentioned that the technology of the PS4 was cultivated thanks to the know-how acquired due to the challenges faced by the PS3. He also compared the new console by Sony to a Formula 1 car:
    “A fast machine is beautiful” and not “a beautiful machine is fast”
    Very cool summary, the design of the PS4 seems pretty solid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •