Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/21/playstation-4s-better-terms-make-it-easier-for-indies-says-gone-home-dev/

Vaguely interesting comments from the Gone Home devs about how PS4 is attracting indies. I wonder if Gone Home will ever come to PS4? I'd love to be able to recommend it to some of my console buddies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Looks pretty good I'd say.
    So did Forza

I'll wait until they are doing live demos or, better yet, when I get my free copy of the game as a PS+ subscriber
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    The wahmbulance is back, how nice.

"Because Microsoft did it, so will Sony."

"Forza = Drive Club"

How cute.

Difference was, the graphics in Drive Club have actually improved. Oh, let's just skip that, because then the forum troll can't complain about my posts or the words I use, wah wah wah.

Do people get paid to be cynical here, or are you just full of crap? Full of crap, got it.
    Last edited by rockman29; 22-01-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'm enjoying Forza, and I look forward to this too. I hope they do better sounds than GT is known for. They're great games but I've never been a huge fan of the car engine noise.
    steam: sketch

I'm enjoying Forza, and I look forward to this too. I hope they do better sounds than GT is known for. They're great games but I've never been a huge fan of the car engine noise.
    They are both great games.

And yea, GT has a serious problem with audio. Every game there is some hope, but it never quite improves. Might have improved a little bit with GT6, but not by much I would guess.

GT is the one I play, as I started with it on PS1 with GT2, and I've only had PS consoles since then. I love everything about the series, GT4 being my favourite, but yea the audio for the engine sounds has never quite made it.

Which is a shame, since they do everything else so well.
    Verified sources close to Rocket Chainsaw have detailed performance and rendering quality of both the Xbox One and PlayStation builds of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. And for that we’re thankful. So here it is!

On average:
    PlayStation 4 = 60 fps
    Xbox One = 30 fps

Yes, the PlayStation 4 build is, on average, twice the framerate of the Xbox One build. Both builds are rendering at native 1080p resolution, and generally look the same in graphical effects (though some minor differences may apply). Performance is a different matter. Both feature unlocked framerates, meaning framerate fluctuates between higher and lower values. The Xbox One build can technically reach around 45 fps, though this performance is generally only achieved during the most empty, simplest environments. For most of your play, and during action scenes, the Xbox One build will sit on around 30 fps. On the other hand, the PlayStation 4 build will attempt to hit 60 fps as often as possible, and does a pretty good job of doing so, but does have slight dips under 60 fps during certain scenarios.

So there it is.

Both 1080p. PlayStation 4 = ~60fps average.
    Xbox One = ~30fps average.

Take with a grain of salt if you’d like, but we’ve confirmed it on our end, and confirmation for the rest of the world is only a week away.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756518
    http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/exc...ates-revealed/
    Scott Amos (Executive Producer) also confirmed it here: http://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar/b/497373767
    @50:35

Average of 60FPS is very different than 60FPS, so are we to assume its 60 with a few small dips on PS4 and 30 with dips?

Average implies it stays around 60 most of the time.
    Also Infamous is looking really damn good.

Last edited by rockman29; 23-01-2014 at 04:43 AM.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Sony develops technique to make your wang bigger, rejuvenate your vag, and cure cancer AND aids through sexually transmitted vaccinations! Don't believe the hype, Microsoft are racist rapists!

In all seriousness, it sounds like Sony are smarting up and are going to do software emulation of PS1 and PS2 (and likely PSP and limited PS Vita) after all
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...heading-to-ps4

It sounds like the dicky patent taking is more about applying the eagle2x filter and the like to an emulated game, and this is likely another one of those features Sony realized they wouldn't have ready in time for launch

Still, a very good deal as they had only just begun to tap into the PS2 library and this would finally give me more games to play on my PS4 so that my PS4 finally becomes something other than the box I use to re-charge my PS3 controller :p

Of course, this has the issue of now actively discouraging the porting of late previous gen games to the PS4 (although, that depends on the cut Rockstar and the like will get from rentals) and it may put the kibosh on living the dream of playing Godhand on a train with a tiny phone screen in one hand and a dual shock in the other.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    That is good news alright. I look forward to getting it a year after the american's.

In all seriousness though it's great to hear, but I wonder will licensing still rear it's ugly head. Will I ever get to play Rage Racer again? That's the most important part.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Well, theoretically this should make it across the ocean a lot faster as it is a purely software solution.

But yeah, I also suspect we are going to lose even more of the PSN library due to licensing as Sony probably only negotiated most of this for the PS3 (hence why the Vita can't play a lot of PS1 games in certain regions). Although, if it is any consolation, the EU tends to have a better selection of PS1 classics than NA (you guys have Tomba 2 and I think even Bushido Blade), so there is that.

In fact, the more I think about it, the emphasis on patents for "enhancing" older games and the like makes me think licensing is a HUGE issue and we are less likely to get "Buy a bunch of PS1 games" and are more likelyu to get "This month, we re-release LEgend of Legaia with enhanced graphics and trophy support!". So like the HD Remakes but instead of recompiling and enhancing we just get a filter and the equivalent of Cheat Engine running in the background to detect when it should ping for a trophy.
    Last edited by gundato; 28-01-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Backwards compatibility is coming to PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Now is only part of the story. A well-placed source working with Sony's streaming service reveals that only PlayStation 3 titles are currently scheduled to use the "gameplay over IP" cloud service. PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.

Our information suggests that the same internal emulator strategy is planned for PlayStation 4, and we understand that Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the "HD remasters" we saw on PS3 - where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...heading-to-ps4

If they add HD to PS2 titles run on the PS4....

AND add HD and Z buffering to PS1 titles on PS4.... (I assume digital only for PS1, since the thing can't read CD audio, or even CDs I think).

I will flip my shit. I've been waiting for Z buffering in PS1 titles forever. Not even emulators on PC can do that.
    Last edited by rockman29; 28-01-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Would you mind explaining what difference that would make? I'm genuinely curious.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Would you mind explaining what difference that would make? I'm genuinely curious.
    I am also curious, but I also suspect we won't see this as it would involve actually re-coding how the game is rendered and all that fun stuff which is a lot of work (and not actually viable for most of the titles).

Most likely we'd get the same thing emulators do: Apply a filter so that the upscaling doesn't look as horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    It could *technically* be that they emulate in such a way to change the internal resolution of 3D rendering to something above 360p (which is what many PS1 games ran around, some more, some less).

And it also has to do with ability to add/modify content on the old games.

Again, it's all just concept, and what it means for us as end-users could mean anything and nothing.

Nothing is confirmed 100% for what we'll get on this end.

However, the one big news is that PS1/PS2 titles will be emulated locally on the PS4. That is neither confirmed, but it looks like the most reliable thing, that is news in and of itself.

P.S.

What emulators are currently able to do for PS1 games is increase internal 3D resolution, apply texture filters, and edge smoothing and anti-aliasing, among other shader effects.

But none of the emulators have ever included Z-buffering, because the PS1 itself does not support Z-buffering. So it has to be added some other (probably very technically tiring and whatnot) way.

PS1 is famously (infamously) not able to do Z-buffering, that is why the graphics look kind of "unique" to the system. The polygons and textures kind of *twitch* around when the camera or the polygons move.

Network Hub
    I do wonder about the return on going back more than one generation. Sure, there are a handful of 'classic' titles that it's nice to preserve, but I suspect it's more in the sense that we can go back and play those games if we want, rather than any real desire to do so. I'd be particularly interested to see metrics on how much time people spend playing these old SNES/PS1/etc. titles. I suspect that for a lot of people the 'graphics shock' is too much and they never get past the first five minutes.

Real 'HD' updates (the good ones e.g. Shadow of the Colossus, not Ubisoft's) are far more interesting than emulation I think.
    Last edited by Lethe; 29-01-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    I do wonder about the return on going back more than one generation. Sure, there are a handful of 'classic' titles that it's nice to preserve, but I suspect it's more in the sense that we can go back and play those games if we want, rather than any real desire to do so. I'd be particularly interested to see metrics on how much time people spend playing these old SNES/PS1/etc. titles. I suspect that for a lot of people the 'graphics shock' is too much and they never get past the first five minutes.

Real 'HD' updates (the good ones e.g. Shadow of the Colossus, not Ubisoft's) are far more interesting than emulation I think.
    It's kind of like selling games on GOG, if that's a good enough analogy.

Final Fantasy VII was for a few years always at the top selling PSN games, despite other new games releasing.

Just as there are gamers who want to play GOG, there's gamers on consoles wanting to play those old games, because they were there in 1996, 2001, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Yep. There's a huge market for these older games, without needing to do a HD remake of them.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Prices on SNES games, particularly famous ones like Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, have doubled-tripled in the last few years due to demand alone. Earthbound is going for a cool $150+. Nostalgia isn't going anywhere.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Prices on SNES games, particularly famous ones like Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, have doubled-tripled in the last few years due to demand alone. Earthbound is going for a cool $150+. Nostalgia isn't going anywhere.
    You're talking about cartridges, right? Those are collectors' items.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    You're talking about cartridges, right? Those are collectors' items.
    No, they're extremely common games that sold millions of copies, artificially inflated by a strong demand.

People still buy those games on the Nintendo store.

They are playable on 3DS or Wii/WiiU.

But the problem is I think those games are tied to the consoles, not an online account or online ID....

I am wary of it, because they don't have a system like Steam/SEN-PSN/Xbox where it's tied to your account, which is worrying.

But yea really, people still buy this stuff.

That these cartridges are collector's items is just speaking to their value overall. Even if they are $150 cartridges, but many people will remember these games and will be happy to spend a few dollars to get a digital version.

I have quite a few PS1 games (FF7,8,9,Origins,IV,VI, Chrono Cross, RE2, Syphon filter, others) and one PS2 game (Twisted Metal Black I got from buying Twisted Metal 2012) on digital from PSN.