Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tropico 4?

Tropico 4?

Anyone got this yet? I'm a bit tempted but from the preview footage it all looks very similar to Tropico 3. If anyone has played yet please let us know if there's enough new stuff to warrant £20-30. Kalypso certainly timed the release date right, I'm only surprised there isn't a day 1 Gadaffi dlc pack.

There is a demo. I tried it while ago and it was a bit improved from Tropico 3 but for full price? I do not know.

Not sure if this is worth anything, but I was talking to a mate who got it. He said that they actually put in a lot of new stuff. He, and that was important to me, said that you were able to do a lot more dictating and be more direct in you actions than in previous games.

I like the sound of that, as I've always found I had very little direct control for a dictator. It's hearsay though, so make of it what you will.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I just hate that making your little man run about is legitimately a good idea, they should take that out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I played a bit of the demo and couldn't see anything meaningfully different from Tropico 3 + Expansion. A couple of new buildings, perhaps, but nothing else. If someone has this one, and the earlier one, and can outline what's different I'd really like to hear it.

It runs better, more efficient engine I guess. Less cluttered (not sure if its better or not) GUI. More "subquests". Euro, China and middle east in world politics.

Network Hub
    I bought tropico 4, I never tried tropico 3 so I won't cry if it is similar.

Haven't had time to play it, kind of hooked on modded fallout 3 at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It runs better, more efficient engine I guess. Less cluttered (not sure if its better or not) GUI. More "subquests". Euro, China and middle east in world politics.
    Sounds a little light, even for an expansion, let alone a full sequel.

Agreed too short

Network Hub
    Every time I see someone mention Tropico 4 it reminds me I bought 3 a year ago and havent even installed it yet.

Oh steam sales...

Well I guess I will steam sale this and spend my money on Bastion.

Granted I've never played any of the other ones but I had a blast with the demo so I pre-ordered. So far it's really fun. I'm only two missions in and even though I haven't even messed with tourism or had anything other than a tornado ravage my town (so I still have rebels, election results that don't go my way, foreign relations, and many other problems to solve) I'm still having a blast setting up my nation. It has a lot of character to it so it's not necessarily a dry game.

I'm actually pretty surprised at all the hate it's gotten. I can understand if some people are unhappy that it seems like a copy of 3 but in all honesty I've seen more people saying it does add a whole lot to the gameplay. I would definitely recommend picking it up if you have a simcity itch that needs to be scratched. I'm an optimist and tend to look at the good things if a game is pretty well put together so the normal internet cynicism around gaming forums would probably disagree with me but as of now I'd be giving it an 8 or 9 out of ten.

Not sure people are outright hating it so much as shrugging their shoulders at paying full price for Tropico 3.5. That's me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Not sure people are outright hating it so much as shrugging their shoulders at paying full price for Tropico 3.5. That's me, anyway.
    Yeh that exactly. £30 on Steam is quite alot for a new game, even more so when it's verging on expansion pack level.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Every time I see someone mention Tropico 4 it reminds me I bought 3 a year ago and havent even installed it yet.

Oh steam sales...
    It's one of the Steam sale games that I did get around to installing and playing, and definitely one of the more worthwhile ones to do so. One of the most charasmatic and colourful (and fun) city building games I've played in years. It sits near fond memories of Constructor in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post

Oh steam sales...
    I did the exact same thing, bought it on the sale and never installed it. I saw the notice on steam and it reminded me of 3 so I thought I should install it and play, then I remembered I have deus ex to play, hitman, shogun 2, fate of the world, and thats before I get to the console stuff. I would like to play it though, could anyone who has tell me how long a game normally lasts, are we talking about spending weeks on a single campaign here or does it have a quicker pace than the usual?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    I did the exact same thing, bought it on the sale and never installed it. I saw the notice on steam and it reminded me of 3 so I thought I should install it and play, then I remembered I have deus ex to play, hitman, shogun 2, fate of the world, and thats before I get to the console stuff. I would like to play it though, could anyone who has tell me how long a game normally lasts, are we talking about spending weeks on a single campaign here or does it have a quicker pace than the usual?
    Not played through the whole campaign, but the game is structured as pretty distinct island scenarios which should only take an hour or two each (at least for the early ones). I'd recommend you install it and tackle one or two and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    The campaign's irrelevant (just a string of mediocre scenarios), this is a city builder and thus best played in custom game mode. Lengths there are, I would say, on the order of what you might expect from a Civ game, somewhere in the 10 hour range. Maybe less if you choose a smaller island or shorter time span than I do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Tropico 4 feels too close to Tropico 3 for me, especially given the time between the game's original release (let alone the expansion). I can't help but feel like they just played with the interface and left it at that.

Activated Node
    I played the fourth like i played the third. One long game on a custom map, after a few restarts to tweak things. I don't like campaigns and objectives in a city builder.

Oak said earlier that this is Tropico 3.5 and i couldn't disagree more. It's Tropico 3.1.

The good things:
    -The game seems to be much better optimized. It's not better looking but runs much smoother.

-You have random missions from people that break the monotony. Like you would get 5.000 dollars for exporting 500 something. Plus random people will offer to build private buildings that pay you rent but keep the profit for themselves. I don't think you had those in 3.

-A few more foreign factions like the EU or China that offer some shitty bonus if you are good friends with them.

-The BEST feature this game has is the new quick build. You pay for the cost of the building again but it gets done almost immediately, without the need for workers....which takes me to the bad parts.

The bad parts:
    All the things that killed my fun in the third are still here.

-Construction offices are still terrible. I didn't use the quick build on many just to see how long they will take to build them themselves. The bigger the city, the dumber the AI seems to get. I think they just put that fast build because they couldn't fix it.

-They still use those fucking garages. I don't know what sick bastard thought those up but he needs to be fired. They take way too much space and people still remain without cars. They are always one way trips which means you have to build a garage for that poor bastard in a far away mine or he'll have to walk to the city on foot for a few months.

-It's still not clear to me why my economy fails. It ended my game in the third and now it did it this one too. I'm all good, having lots of profit, many years into the game...and then suddenly i start to lose month after month. And it's just not clear why. I am focusing mostly on tourism so maybe industry is more stable. The charts are all useless when it comes to exact costs and profit. I could not find the holes in my budget so i just gave up.

My suggestion:
    It's only worth to buy for the instant build and that's because it cheats the broken system they made. Otherwise, stay with the third and you won't know the difference. Or even better, get Anno 4.