Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_Dentum View Post
    Well the remnants of the big blue ship in my first picture above had a gravity drive (or Mass Drive) however there were severe issues with countering the momentum when a that hulk was travelling at over 100m/s. It tends to slide for 20km or so when trying to stop, and seeing as it accelerated to 100m/s in about a second it was almost uncontrollable.

I decided I prefer building small ships, so just scrapped the whole idea. I've not really looked into any other ideas for large ships after that.

There are some good videos of peoples creations on YouTube, I would assume that most of them are now viable on a server if the patch to fix rotors and pistons actually fixed them. I've not tried them yet, but will be trying to build a hanger door at some point though.

There was a really good one I saw that was using pistons to move around home made torpedoes into launch tubes and using gravity generators to fire them out the tubes. Plus they had built a little forklift thing for when they need to reload.
    now you can have a ship with a rotor attached, at the end of that rotor is a spherical grav gen, and just move the rotor if you want to go somewhere else. :D :D :D

also theoretically, if you want to brake a ship thats grav driven, you just need to have a grav gen for every direction, and switch them all on.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Neat examples, thank you!

Also, a question about landing: I'm using magnetic connectors (the yellow round things with an X that lights up when ready to attach) to keep my ships landed. If I understand right, they not only serve the same function as landing gear (keep stuff attached to other stuff), but also serve as a conveyor tube of sorts, making them inherently superior to landing gear. Is this correct? How do you land your ships and connect them to the main base supply line?

dont. use. landing. gears. or. connectors. to. move. shit.

seriously, things will explode.

If its a station and youre not moving, perfect. but anything else, you can forget about it.

also, dont connect two things of equal size without being VERY careful. or the dance of death starts. (both ships start vibrating due to mag forces and respective auto thrusters and tear each other apart, no content dropped)
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Maybe it's a fix on the recent versions, but I haven't had trouble keeping a small ship locked to a large, moving ship with either landing gear or connectors, they stay perfectly tight (once I learned I had to actually press the "lock" button and check for the green light). What would you suggest for docking safely AND transferring cargo between ships?

Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    Neat examples, thank you!

Also, a question about landing: I'm using magnetic connectors (the yellow round things with an X that lights up when ready to attach) to keep my ships landed. If I understand right, they not only serve the same function as landing gear (keep stuff attached to other stuff), but also serve as a conveyor tube of sorts, making them inherently superior to landing gear. Is this correct? How do you land your ships and connect them to the main base supply line?
    I use connectors on my station to transfer ore and components but just leave my ships floating in the hanger with the engine running and inertial dampeners on, I don't bother to actually land them right now. I don't trust landing gear and need to test them thoroughly before I'll use them on my station.
    Steam: Carpe Dentum

Currently Playing:
    Not a lot

So you load and unload your ships manually? I have had bad experiences with that. :(

So you load and unload your ships manually? I have had bad experiences with that. :(
    actually, if you dont have a cargo hold on the thing that you want automatically unloaded, and you fill the connectors with useless crap aka steel plates, then it automatically transfers from grinders/drills into a cargo bay on a connected platform.
    - Tom De Roeck.

No I use connectors to transfer all my resources, I just don't leave them attached when I'm done.

Currently Playing:
    Not a lot

Maybe it's a fix on the recent versions, but I haven't had trouble keeping a small ship locked to a large, moving ship with either landing gear or connectors
    I'm tempted to try this again given the supposed fixes, but I think I'll build a small ship I don't care too much about having destroyed first. I have a feeling QC's predictions will still come true, but it's worth a shot.

My ships exploded when I saved the game while moving with two attached. Just whatever you do, switch off their thrusters and dampeners. Maybe even their gyros.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Or you can do what I do and use merge blocks, that way all the thrusters are working in concert. Quanta did mention an issue with turrets on the merged ship losing their ownership and shooting anything that moves but I've not been using it with large ships.

Currently Playing:
    Not a lot

Thing is you can't easily use merge blocks between small ships and the rest of structures.

Really, give connectors/landing gear a chance, they've been working flawlessly for me. Of course, I take no responsability if you follow this advice. :D

Ship welders / scrappers are broken again. Also, this problem seems to affect connectors too, neither Banano nor me could dock with them. Let's hope they fix this thing soonish, it seems to happen rather often.

Just post here when it does. Restarting in 1min
    - Tom De Roeck.

Is thruster damage disabled in the server? I'm doing some questionable landings and everything is too peachy, it makes me suspicious.

should be enabled.
    - Tom De Roeck.

also note that today is thursday. ie. three days of hotfix thursday.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    should be enabled.
    Then I'm simply a better pilot than I thought.B)
    I'm excited to know what will they publish today. About what time (and timezone) are the changes usually posted?

Id say around 8. Which means the patch will be on the server by 2200.
    - Tom De Roeck.

uuuggghh I hate Thursdays. Why does this client always try to update. I start from the .exe and it tries to update, I pause the download and try again and same thing. I cancel the download, switch to offline mode but of course the bloomin servers aren't available.... very very annoying.

Currently Playing:
    Not a lot