Network Hub

Forums UNUSABLE on IE

Hello,

I find that the forums are basically unusable on Internet Explorer. Browsing is ok, but when I go to make a post the text entry field is so laggy and unresponsive such that the average sentence comes out looking like mush. I'm running Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7, have encountered no similar issues on other websites (even those running vBulletin) and everything works fine under Chrome.

Hmm, I'm writing this reply from IE10 on Win7 and things are working out okay (I don't have IE11 on this machine). Any other IE11 users out there want to chime in with their experiences?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You might need to turn compatibility mode on in your browser.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    You might need to turn compatibility mode on in your browser.
    This seems to fix the problem, cheers.

Just testing things again now without compatibility-mode enabled, the main issue seems to be dropped characters and occasional transpositions. It seems to be occurring more often with the main 'add reply' window than with the 'quick reply' box, although the issue definitely exists with both. Of course if nobody else can replicate the problem I'm perfectly willing to accept that it's just something strange on my end.

(And isn't the product of my admittedly average typing skills, unless those are mysteriously site- and browser-specific and sensitive to compatibility mode.)
    Last edited by Lethe; 17-01-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am webmaster and sometimes I have trouble making websites running on IE. It has many bugs and render a lot of stuff incorrectly.

Your browser has a lot of bugs and don't support modern standards.
    I kindly suggest you to donate/subscribe to RPS, to help this type of professional journalism

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I am webmaster and sometimes I have trouble making websites running on IE. It has many bugs and render a lot of stuff incorrectly.

Your browser has a lot of bugs and don't support modern standards.
    Oh please, IE is a perfectly competent browser these days (and has been since IE8ish). Let's not bring browser elitism into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Oh please, IE is a perfectly competent browser these days (and has been since IE8ish). Let's not bring browser elitism into it.
    Not really, if the page you're trying to access has HTML5 or CSS3 then good luck, you'll need it. And it's generally a pain in the ass, when programming a webpage you'll often find it running fine on chrome or firefox only to break on IE.
    Of course, as an user that's not your problem, the people making the webpages should go through all the work they can in order to give you a good experience, lest they want to lose a possible "customer".

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There is definitely something weird with the way RPS handles inputs, but I have no idea what it is. On Chromium I get no line breaks from the quick-reply box, and neither the Full Reply or the Edit button work at all. On the main site, not the forums, I always had huge trouble typing comments on a smartphone.. huge lag and weird transpositions. Not sure if the two are connected though. Haven't experienced the "no line breaks" issue anywhere else at all.

Well, I can't start the new thread so I'll write here.
    Editing doesn't work in both Opera 18 (Chromium-based one) and IE, I just see empty space when I try to edit my thread.

I wonder is this some kind of limitation for new users or a major bug?

Editing has been bugged for a couple of other users and browsers in the past, if only selectively for a individual posts/threads. I know QuantaCat had trouble with it some time ago and me as well, and I am using Firefox.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    This has nothing to do with elitist. IE has a lot of problems and the support for standards is really bad.

All versions.
    I kindly suggest you to donate/subscribe to RPS, to help this type of professional journalism

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    This has nothing to do with elitist. IE has a lot of problems and the support for standards is really bad.

All versions.
    As someone said before, it was prior to 8.0. I am using 8.0 still (have to use it on work laptop) and I have to say it works flawlessly when all other options, which for me is Opera and Chrome, fail. I am occasionally using 10 at home with no problems so far. Seriously, IE is fine these days. And I test webpages for a living...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No, is not.

And people has said "IE is fine now" since IE7, and always was not true.

You google for a feature and you find things like this:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...y-all-browsers

Parts like "IE8+ (only in IE8 standards mode)" should scare the crap of you.

I think is pretty say to say that is the worst browser, of all the modern ones. By a wide margin.
    http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html
    Last edited by Tei; 24-01-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Network Hub
    I work for one the UKs largest banks. Our mortgage application system flat out does not work with IE 11 and patching support in has been deemed unnecessary so the browser has been written off as irrelevant from this point onwards. For once, I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with company policy.