Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Kickstarter Enthusiasm and the draw of crowds.

People seem to complain a lot about kickstarter fatigue, but I have the reverse problem, kickstarter enthusiasm. I see something that I'm marginally interested in, see its numbers go up and want to be part of the backer group. I pledged DFA partially for this reason and partially because I love Doublefine games even if I dislike adventure games. I also like making numbers go up and watching them go up.

Currently doing this with Numenera. The pitch video "what is the value of one life" as well as Cursey McCurserson in Wasteland 2 turned me off it, but man those are some mighty fine numbers. And I do want to see them go up...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I backed a couple of projects but the only one I was really excited for was Eternity. I gave them 20 dollars, then I sent another 15 to NeoGAF's inn pledge. Then as I was watching the wrap-up party I threw in some more :/

Eternity's dungeon and stretch goals were masterful. If Torment does something like that I'm in big trouble.
    I just can't stop spending money on games!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I backed a couple of projects but the only one I was really excited for was Eternity. I gave them 20 dollars, then I sent another 15 to NeoGAF's inn pledge. Then as I was watching the wrap-up party I threw in some more :/

Eternity's dungeon and stretch goals were masterful. If Torment does something like that I'm in big trouble.
    I just can't stop spending money on games!
    Stretch goals really do make me more enthusiastic about a project. I love graphical representations of funding progress. The kickstarter that did it the best was probably reaper minifigs.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-of-gaming-min

I don't even like minifigs and that one was hard to resist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    After consulting the stars I predict Torment: Tides of Numenera kickstarter will gather $4.75mln .
    pass

Only backed two games so far, and one of them turned out to be garbage.

I figure if it's actually a game worth seeing one day, enough other people will fund it. Because even if it isn't, people will anyway most of the time.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Initially I was over enthusiastic but I've settled into only backing games I'm interested in.

Stretch goals and rewards don't really motivate me too much (I'll always go physical rather than digital if it's at a reasonable price - but that's just nostalgia for the days of manuals and boxes) and I don't think I've ever increased a pledge over my initial decision. Indeed I'd probably be more likely to be put off by a dev throwing out gubbins right left and centre (see Dreamfall Chapters, which is getting confusingly ridiculous).

As for the numbers going up . . . again it's not a motivator. But I can see why people would be motivated by it and I always assumed that must be the reason that the "early bird" tiers exist. Get initial people who might be on the fence to think "I'm saving a few quid here" and push them into backing, making the numbers go up quickly and gaining momentum to draw in those who want to be part of something successful and making the numbers go up. Kind of ironic that the sort of thing many of us might be prone to slag off it appeared in a game is a part of many Kickstarter campaigns isn't it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After a Kickstarter has met their goal, would you rather add to it because you want the game cheap and/or hit stretch goals? Or would you rather fund something that has not met their goal yet and get the other game when it releases.

If you have limited funds you would be funding games so they are actually made. The other game is already getting made and you will have the option to buy it later. But those stretch goals and higher end tier rewards can be enticing to fund something already met their goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Only backed two games so far, and one of them turned out to be garbage.
    Which one?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    After a Kickstarter has met their goal, would you rather add to it because you want the game cheap and/or hit stretch goals? Or would you rather fund something that has not met their goal yet and get the other game when it releases.

If you have limited funds you would be funding games so they are actually made. The other game is already getting made and you will have the option to buy it later. But those stretch goals and higher end tier rewards can be enticing to fund something already met their goal.
    If I was on the fence about two games, one that has already been funded, and one that may not be. I would actually lean towards the stretch goals. Stretch goals offer the possibility of a deeper, better experience, and the initial vision is not in danger of being underfunded. There's something to said about expanding the collective consciousness, but if I believed that much in a project I would have backed it already. However, no stretch goal has pushed me over the line. Some make a game more appealing to tell my friends about (linux support being one of them, and character classes are another).

I've only backed four kickstarters, but considering my extremely limited means that's a lot. Project Eternity I backed instantly; DFA I wanted to reward Doublefine for making so many games I enjoy even if adventure games aren't really my thing; Shadowrun Returns I waffled over for a while, but I researched the company and they had produced some well-regarded iphone games so I went with it; Wasteland 2 I was the most worried about (given Fargo's recent track record), but I wanted to send a message to others watching.

Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    Which one?
    Chivalry.

The promo videos made it like a like a fast-paced medieval movie in game form instead of "press attack and wait 2 seconds for animation to finish". Even Skyrim's combat was better paced. Skyrim's!

I want a sword fight like this:

Not a game of "strafe back and forth swinging until someone misses a block or their friends show up".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    What about Neal Stephenson's crazy sword game?
    Worth clicking just for the video:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

I'm looking at that one with interest if only because of the ludicrous attention put into real-world historic techniques. So even if the game's no fun to play it'll be like a history lesson. And history was my favorite subject in school.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Personally, so far, I've backed 3.

-Project Giana. Not bad, but it didn't really draw me in. Not sure if it was worth it.
    -Double Fine Adventure. Gonna have to wait a long time for this.
    -DreamFall Chapters. I wuv Ragnar Tornquist and want his babies.

It does get a bit tiresome to see "Kickstart this, Kickstart that, Kickstart blablabla", but if Torment's numbers are anything to go by, then no, people are in no way tired of Kickstarter yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Maybe it's tiresome but I will take this over publishers any day. Especially for these niche games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've managed to avoid being drawn by either Kickstarter enthusiasm or fatigue, I'll only back a project that I'm particularly interested in playing. That said, given the reasonably wide range of genres I enjoy, this does leave me backing a fair few projects.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    I've managed to avoid being drawn by either Kickstarter enthusiasm or fatigue, I'll only back a project that I'm particularly interested in playing. That said, given the reasonably wide range of genres I enjoy, this does leave me backing a fair few projects.
    Isn't that exactly how you're supposed to use Kickstarter? You back the projects you're actually interested in having yourself? Otherwise that's more like philanthropy.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Isn't that exactly how you're supposed to use Kickstarter? You back the projects you're actually interested in having yourself? Otherwise that's more like philanthropy.
    Indeed, and the way people go on makes it seem that many things get factored into whether or not they back a project. I don't understand that personally, if I want it I back it, otherwise I ignore it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    After consulting the stars I predict Torment: Tides of Numenera kickstarter will gather $4.75mln .
    so far, this kickstarter is fast gaining steam and has even surpassed estimated budget targets.
    now the only thing that matters now is how fast the game will be completed for use.
    i'm excited about the release of TOrment: Tides of Numenera.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    So far I have backed:
    • Nada
    • Nothing
    • Not one thing

I'm quite proud of this, because business circumstances aside, its still a fecking pre-order.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Banned
    I haven't back any projects, but only cause I'm broke. If I had money I'd be blowing thousands.