Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefall Beta

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrothaBear View Post
    With the hell I caught from this forum? Not gonna happen here.
    how enlightened.

I got my beta key from a fellow RPS member jp0249107 about a month ago and now I got two keys of my own which I'll gladly give to those who have already requested.

I hope I'm not violating the NDA since the developers have mentioned this in their forums but people who are requesting for a beta key should know about the testing times. Currently, the login servers are up two times a week for four hours (you can keep playing if you're logged in) and the times are targeted at US players (Wed: 5pm - 9pm Pacific Time, Sat: 11am - 3pm Pacific Time). So the testing times might not suit you at all if you're somewhere in EU.
    When they got more stuff to test, the servers will be up more often.

Banned
    Sooo... keys? :3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    So I have two invites open. Anyone interested?
    Currently the PvE content is still limited and the focus is on improving PvP but the devs promised a lot of new PvE content for the next big patch. Also the crafting system will be revamped in the near futur and frame ("class") levels are gone and will be replaced by selectable tiers.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    So I have two invites open. Anyone interested?
    Currently the PvE content is still limited and the focus is on improving PvP but the devs promised a lot of new PvE content for the next big patch. Also the crafting system will be revamped in the near futur and frame ("class") levels are gone and will be replaced by selectable tiers.

I'd love a key :)

I played alone and didn't like it. Then a friend of mine got a beta key and we played together -- big fun! It's a great idea for a game and very well executed so far.

I like the sound of that new unlock and upgrade system, any spare keys floating? Or anybody know when it's going open beta?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I can't click on the video, because that guy doesn't look like he's worth listening to. I know that's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaturemagic View Post
    I'd love a key :)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaydeeadi View Post
    I like the sound of that new unlock and upgrade system, any spare keys floating? Or anybody know when it's going open beta?
    There will no be a real "open beta". The invite system will be in place until the game slips into something like a release state when it's open for everybody. Which then would be opne, but not beta ;)

You two can send me your email address (make sure it's correct) via PM and I'll send you an invite.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    When i found out that they were going to just go from beta into the game really organically, i have to say i was shocked. I like to see people do something different, though. The only problem i could see with being in the beta is getting sick or tired of a game that is designed around giving you more, but doesnt have the content yet. Also f2p love putting in grind stuff, and i see the level-less battleframes as a massive massive time sink.
    Are my concerns unfounded?

Messaged. Harvesting here I come.

Invites sent. Those in beta make sure to check this link on a regular basis to check if you have new invites. You don't get any notification when new invites are available so make sure to check the page now and then. Most of the times new invites are granted with larger patch milestones. Also if you already have more then one open inivte you wont get new ones with the next wave (twoi is max). So make sure to give away at least one per wave to not waste invites.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    The only problem i could see with being in the beta is getting sick or tired of a game that is designed around giving you more, but doesnt have the content yet.
    Well, currently there isn't much PvE to do except farming ressources and crafting. And with the big changes incoming everything will most likely be wiped. So PvE players are kind of waiting for the wipe until they have new stuff to do.
    Of course it depends on what kind of player you are. If you like PvP and exploring there already is a lot of stuff to do. Thumping is also fun but with the wipe incoming people stopped investing to much time into it.

Also f2p love putting in grind stuff, and i see the level-less battleframes as a massive massive time sink.
    That has to show. Currently the level-based battleframes already were quiet a time sink. But the most important part there is that the level difference is not as strong as in other MMOs. With enough skill you can still keep up with an enemy several levels above you as better gear and levels does not give you such a large advantage as you are used to from other MMOs. Stat buffs by gear is in the 3% area. So when you have 1000 health and get 3% more health and weapons can hit you for 600 damage, it's not that big of a deal ;)

Are my concerns unfounded?
    No, but that's what the beta is for. And I did a lot of beta testing and yet haven't encountered a developer which listens and reacts more to player feedback then Red5. It's pretty amazing.

I've been quietly following this game for a while, ever since I first noticed this thread. This is the first time I've ever been interested in an MMOFPS. I remember not being able to play FPS games back when I was a teenager due to motion sickness, which is why I'd always missed out on the various FPS games that have come out over the last ... um, decade and a half? Heh. But I've since grown out of the motion sickness (thank goodness!) and only suffer mild nausea from time to time.

Firefall looks great and I really like the way Red5 responds to the community in the forums (it didn't surprise me when bonkers said they listen and react to player feedback extremely well). I'm really looking forward to seeing how it plays -- how the controls feel, how the various "classes" are like, and how the community is. Hopefully all three are pretty good. :)

If anyone has an extra beta key to give out, please PM me -- I'd love to have one! As a token of my thanks and appreciation, I can gift you with an additional set of Humble Bundle V keys for Steam (which includes the beat-the-average games of Bastion, Super Meat Boy, Lone Survivor, and Braid) that I'd purchased.

PM me your email address, I still have one left floating around. Save the humble keys, already picked that up.

Thank you Ran93r, you are very kind.

I'd be interested in acquiring a key for this as well. I've kept an eye on it hoping one would show up from the devs in my inbox, but after several months with nothing to show I'm prepared to ask around.

To blatantly steal Shy Otter's idea, I'd be perfectly willing to gift the new Indie Royale bundle (with or without the bonus album) if it tickles your fancy as the Humble bundle is now closed.

Give me a PM with your e-mail address. I've got my bundle already so hopefully you'll find a better use for it.

I've been signed up for this for ages (feels like it's been over a year now...can't remember when sign-ups opened, but pretty close to the beginning of them)...I'd definitely be interested in a key if anyone has an extra.

I was able to play Firefall for a couple hours earlier this week, and I have to say, this game is just fun. The controls feel smooth -- you know how sometimes when you play a game you just have this uneasy feeling that something's wonky with the controls, for whatever reason? Well, thankfully Firefall feels very smooth to me in terms of movement and the way it handles.

The game started on low graphical settings for me, and even then I thought the art style was nice. When I went into the options and bumped everything up to the highest settings, the entire world just changed. I just sat there and blinked as I panned the camera around to look at things, seeing how different it looked with all the lighting effects and shadows and high-res textures turned on. The art style won't appeal to everyone but I like it a whole lot. :)

I play in third person perspective, so there's no motion sickness/headaches that usually come from me playing an FPS. I sometimes hit the wrong key when I'm running around while trying to shoot the creatures that are swarming all around me (i.e., activating my skill instead of changing weapons), but it never got frustrating. I felt like I was playing one of those arcade games (you know, in an actual arcade) with the physical guns that give you pretty much never-ending ammo, with the way I skip around blasting things with my continuous stream of bullets. I play a medic, and I find that duoing in this game is great fun -- whereas it's really difficult trying to do some of the quests solo (but then it could just be I'm bad at the game, which is a good possibility!).

I love the jetpack/propulsion system (I don't remember what it's called). Being able to jump and just boost yourself up the side of a hill or cushion your fall from a high place by a well-timed burst of air feels really good. I haven't yet been able to use it strategically during mob fights, mainly because in my panic to burst alien creatures with my bullets I forget that I can kinda sorta fly.

There's still a whole bunch of things I'm looking forward to figuring out when I play the game over the weekend -- getting skills, crafting, etc. I am so happy I got into the beta and look forward to giving the devs some hopefully helpful feedback. :)
    Last edited by Shy Otter; 15-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i've got one invite.

pm me.