Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Remember where there were lots of rumors about a Nintendo/Apple tie-up? The writing was on the wall even 5 years ago. IMHO they need to go for nintendo branded smartphones and tablets, and then get their whole back catalogue on there asap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nintendo is in a tough place, as they are getting squeezed by the explosion in smartphones/tablets much more than the other two. They basically had the handheld market to themselves for years, but in a few short months they've had it stolen out from under them. Frankly I'm surprised their 3DS sales have been as good as they have. Their home consoles have always been based on the appeal of simple fun games, but that market is also served by the app stores these days. They don't have the hardware/graphics to differentiate them like sony/ms.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yes but Nintendo have an obvious avenue in beating smartphones/tablets with their games they could obviously go the route where you only seem to play a 5 minute game on a tablet come to a handheld that gives you long and meaningful games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nintendo is dying blah blah blah.

Bullshit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Nintendo is in a tough place, as they are getting squeezed by the explosion in smartphones/tablets much more than the other two. They basically had the handheld market to themselves for years, but in a few short months they've had it stolen out from under them. Frankly I'm surprised their 3DS sales have been as good as they have. Their home consoles have always been based on the appeal of simple fun games, but that market is also served by the app stores these days. They don't have the hardware/graphics to differentiate them like sony/ms.
    Pokémon. 'nuff said :P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Nintendo is dying blah blah blah.

Bullshit.
    Just for reference, the Wii U is doing worse than the Dreamcast. Now, Nintendo and Sega are in different situations respective of the time-line for each console, but that doesn't mean to say that Nintendo can carry on ignoring problems it's had for a long time now. They're at the turning points where things unfold, carrying on as they do and eventually leading them to a moment where "Nintendo is dying" won't be a joke, or they can do something about it, suffer the losses right now and come back fighting with something fierce. For the last few years they've been doing the former, whilst everyone around them has been doing the latter. It's not even the other companies leaving Nintendo behind, it's Nintendo almost voluntarily doing so. They need a massive infrastructure change, sooner rather than later.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Nintendo aren't doing as bad as people think. The 3DS is really successful, close to or over 40 million units sold, and last month it outsold both the PS4 and the XBone. Literally all they need for a profitable year is for a new Zelda, Mario/Kart, or Smash Bros game, at least 2 of which I believe are being released.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Nintendo also has a lot of cash in the bank, which SEGA did not at the time, they pretty much burned all their resources in launching DC.

It's not that simple though. I believe the 3DS is charting worse than the PSP did, which itself was noticeably far behind the money-making machine of the DS. Whilst the 3DS is hardly doing badly, I just think it came at the wrong time for what it is, or at least the wrong thing for when it came out. I keep wishing the 3DS had the power of the Vita, or that the Vita had the games of the 3DS, but that's another issue. The fact is, the 3DS is doing fine. It's not really successful, but nor is it bombing anywhere close to what the Wii U is doing. It was the best selling platform in the US last year, but there were a few big releases that are unlikely to spur it on again in such a major way. It's also a little unfair to compare even a hand-held to home consoles, especially when those new home-consoles are going to be restricted by manufacturing numbers, which both the PS4 and XB1 have (and bare in mind the PS4 out-sold the Wii U's 1 year advantage in something like 24 hours).

The idea they they can simply release a tent-pole release and coast off that for successfulness is broken, unfortunately. The fact they hyped up an HD remake of a game ten years old as a reason to buy a new platform is...concerning, I feel. Wind Waker is pretty good and the HD remake looks nice and hey, if you have a Wii U and never played Wind Waker, sure, go for it, but it was never going to be a system seller and the numbers since back that idea up (this is also putting aside that whilst WWHD adds/changes some stuff, you can certainly get the game to look almost as good, if not truer to the original looks, via Dolphin emulation).

Super Mario 3D World, lauded as possibly an eleventh hour GOTY contender absolutely bombed, moreso in comparison to even Knack which blew it away. SM3W was the Mario game that needed to be there on the Wii U's release, not NSMBU. It was hampered by a lack of existing player-base and whilst November and December were okay, and strictly okay, for the Wii U, they need those kind of sales every month for the next year to even get back on track. That's obviously not going to happen. Will sales boost when Mario Kart, Smash Brothers and the big new Zelda game come out? It's possible, but now people are seriously wondering whether or not they'll be enough.

If you think of a few titles coming out soon, the action-focused Zelda game, what is it, Hyrule Warriors? That's not going to sell consoles. X by Monolith Soft isn't going to sell consoles and you can be damn sure Bayonetta 2 won't sell consoles. Oh, there's also the new Donkey Kong Country Returns game. That...won't sell consoles.

The fact is, over a year after release, Nintendo still don't know how to market the damn thing and every year the 3DS' appeal is going to be eroded by tablet/smart phone users and games on them. They need to get their act together because that treasure trove of banked money will certainly last them a good while, but it won't last forever and it certainly won't drop a lot without something significant happening to their infrastructure.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    It's not that simple though. I believe the 3DS is charting worse than the PSP did, which itself was noticeably far behind the money-making machine of the DS.
    Really?

I'm not sure about this, but I would have to check. PSP had a pretty strong start, and DS the best of them all I'm sure.

3DS is selling very strong even still, it's outselling all of PS4, PS3, and Xbox consoles.

The WiiU I think is yea, I agree.... a very huge problem. I have no idea if there is any hope right now to get sales off the ground there.

I really think they should not have done second-screen at all. It's not well implemented.

And without it, the could have been selling the WiiU at a much more discounted price already. Nintendo consoles seem to be destined for the budget-minded consumer. And this is not bad, because a lot of people want the console. But a lot of people want to spend less on Nintendo consoles too, but they will buy them at those lower prices.

Even 3DS only took off after the price was cut to $179.99 to $199.99. It was doing horrible in sales when it launched, and looked like it was gonna to putter out, but as soon as that price cut came, the sales flew off the charts.
    Last edited by rockman29; 18-01-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nintendo still don't know how to market the damn thing and every year the 3DS' appeal is going to be eroded by tablet/smart phone users and games on them.
    Uhm, no.
    I think that tablet/phone and handheld gamers are rather two different groups. Handheld gamers are willing to pay more than $10 for a game while for smartphone gamers even $3 can be too much.
    Also any sane gamers (these ones who are buying games and have a little knowledge about this medium) would not ever exchange their 3/DS/PSP/Vita for tablet. What for? To lose physical buttons and exchange their great games for much weaker F2P shameless ripoffs of famous games? To have shitty, overpriced ports of famous games?

It would be like selling PC/PS3/4/X360/One to buy OUYA. Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    I'm not sure about this, but I would have to check. PSP had a pretty strong start, and DS the best of them all I'm sure.

3DS is selling very strong even still, it's outselling all of PS4, PS3, and Xbox consoles.
    I believe life-time PSP sales were 80m. I think it wouldn't be unfair to suggest that 3DS won't hit that mark. Obviously the DS was the run-away success even compared to the PSP (I believe DS was 140m, whatever it was higher than the PS2 which was the previous highest selling console). As for your latter point, sure, the 3DS is beating the PS4 and XB1, but that's hardly a fair comparison. In addition, a handheld is likely to beat a home console for sales simply because of its purpose and cost. At the same time, even Nintendo would say that the 3DS wasn't in competition with the home consoles (of course Nintendo don't seem to realise what the meaning of competition is, so...).

Even 3DS only took off after the price was cut to $179.99 to $199.99. It was doing horrible in sales when it launched, and looked like it was gonna to putter out, but as soon as that price cut came, the sales flew off the charts.
    I think your point about the price cut is fine, but also bare in mind the games started coming around the same time too. You won't have many people suggesting that the initial RRP of the 3DS was sane, either. If you were looking just for a platform that could play games, why on earth would you drop $250 on a 3DS when you could spend $50 less on a PS3 or 360? Similar pricing issues round the world too. There's another issue with the 3DS, but I want to bring that up later...

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Uhm, no.
    I think that tablet/phone and handheld gamers are rather two different groups. Handheld gamers are willing to pay more than $10 for a game while for smartphone gamers even $3 can be too much.
    I think you've missed my point a little bit. I entirely agree that the hardcore gamers will generally gravitate towards where the 'premium' software is and of course, Nintendo cater to that, but that absolutely misses the big picture. The Wii was successful because it tapped into the casual market. Nintendo did that, but failed to do anything with it carrying into the Wii U. The Wii also came out in 2006. The first gen iPhone was released in 2007. Since then there's been a proliferation of smart phones, devices and tablets and there are a ton of games on there with minimal accessibility barriers, not to mention as a piece of hardware it does a lot more than a Wii U and the 3DS.

The Wii U was marked as being more for the gamers, which is fine, but even the gamers didn't know what the hell the Wii U was on release. It took until after the big E3 event for Nintendo to markedly go "Yes, it's a new console." It's a new bloody hardware generation and people didn't even know it had been announced. Ok, fine, maybe they can fix that. They didn't. People still confuse the Wii U as a tablet accessory for the Wii. It was a stupid name and it completely threw off the casual market.

As for the hardcore market, what could they get on delivery of the Wii U? Old third party games they'd played before and newer releases with MP components that were going to have inferior communities to those on the consoles they already owned. The brand new titles were hardly compelling - ZombiU had mixed reviews and New Super Mario Bros. U came off the back of NSMB2 on the 3DS so those who had a 3DS already were probably fatigued. Then you just have emptiness for ages.

Where is the advertising for the Wii U? Why aren't they trying to hype up anything unique about it? Why on earth haven't they capitalised on the rich tapestry of the virtual console idea they implemented with the Wii and why on earth are twenty year old games on there as expensive as they are? Why are they repeating the same mistakes with an 'HD' console without learning from the mistakes Sony and Microsoft made some 7 years prior? How on earth did that happen?!

Now going back to the DS and 3DS leap, you have a similar problem of naming in the marketing, later compounded by having the 2DS which, if you were to know broadly about the DS and 3DS you might see as some mid-way point. We know better because we're involved in the industry, being the minority of gamers that actually go on-line reading about game stuff and further still commenting about it on forums, but that's just it, we're the minority. So you have a confusion as to whether or not the 3DS is a brand new hardware generation or just an iteration, which the DS had plenty of (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL).

And like the Wii, the DS also tapped into the casual market and had a 3 year lead over the iPhone, so there wasn't need to jump ship, but the DS is dated now and people started buying their smart phones and using them more and could get games on them and suddenly why would you want to take this bulky extra thing with you when you can play games that satisfy you just well enough and can phone people and can use the internet and is something you need.

It's not just about the games and it hasn't been since the 360 hit the ground running with Xbox Live as a service. Disagree with that or not, it's what helped ushered in the moulding of consoles to augment themselves with additional services like Netflix, like Skype and so on. The YouTube app on the 3DS meanwhile can barely run 240p resolution, I believe. How on earth is that allowed to happen? So you can stream Netflix to your Gamepad controller on the Wii U whilst someone watches something else on the TV...MARKET THAT STUFF, Nintendo!

The people who want the games will gravitate towards the games are, but there's a difference in people buying the hardware because that's where the games are and buying games on the hardware they already have. The majority falls in the latter and unless you try and do something to capture that, you either need to play it super smart and conservative and play to your reduced numbers or you start to die.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 18-01-2014 at 08:16 PM.