Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar

Rock, Paper, Video

Dear gentlemen,

just as the well-known saying goes "video killed the radio star", it now seems that video is set to "kill" good ol' written games journalism. With the rising popularity of youtube, twitch and other streaming venues, more and more gamers seem to flock to video based let's plays, reviews and previews.

Now don't get me wrong, as a gamer of the old and grumpy variety I still much prefer to read many words but I can't deny the appeal of video reviews that show the game in action. Alas, it seems that my most favourite video-game website hasn't entered the age of moving pictures yet.

Hence my questions:

1. Would you watch RPS video-game videos?
    2. Should RPS venture forth into the unknown and scary territory of video-based games journalism?

I'll just leave this here...

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    Well shi... consider myself impressed. Why didn't I know about this earlier?
    Maybe that stuff should be made more prominent on the main page?

Thanks a lot Jams!

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Ohhhhh..I really like the music in that. Even though it was pretty much the exact same thing over and over, it reminded me of the music from a little Flash game (I think) that I can NEVER remember the name of, but I absolutely ADORE! It's something like you exploring a space ship, and the different parts take you to other worlds that you have to explore to the end, which then activates part of your ship. And then you shoot off into the sun, or some crazy thing. But anyway, the music in that game is amazing.

2. Should RPS venture forth into the unknown and scary territory of video-based games journalism?
    Yes, I am of course. I will be watching it but only a few times.

I think that is not a scary thing though. It has an advantage that will surely favor us the gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by strange headache View Post
    1. No - I'd rather the written word. Not least because it's less obstrusive and easier to consume than a video which a) needs better internets b) probably needs to be followed more closely (can't pick up and put down so easily).

2. Not if it sacrifices the quantity/quality of writen material. While I would probably be left by a video expansion, I'd not begrudge progress or others' greater enjoyment as long as video didn't become the main focus of the site's comment.