Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Runs like crapola

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Fantastic, retro game. Runs like crapola:

i5 CPU
    4GB DDR III
    ATI HD 6850
    SSD
    ASUS MB

Runs better in Direct X 11 but ALWAYS locks up (so unplayable)

Switch to Direct X 9 and it NEVER crashes but jerks around all over the shop.

Anyone got the silver bullet? Or a few tweak tips? Thanks

The game shouldn't have any problems for you at all. I'm no where near your specs and I can max it out without a problem at all. I would try reinstalling, the usual driver updates and such. If you still can't get it to work it may even be worth trying a crack with it to see if it's an issue with DRM (though I doubt it)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Try turning off some of the fancier options? It's possible some of them may only like nVidias or what have you. I've heard SSAO produces issues for somet people for example.

I got a lot of jerkiness every time I loaded a save or a new level but it smoothed out after a few seconds.

It didn't really bother me that much, I just assumed it was a bug that needed patching.

Maybe post your settings. Off the top of my head I would turn v-sync off, turn shadows to medium (not soft) and possibly turn off AA if you can stomach that.

It had some significant slowdown issues on my computer. It'd pause every now and then, just for a little bit, when you went around a corner or looked at some previously unseen bit of stuff. Fiddling with the settings reduced, but never eliminated the problem (specifically, downgrading it from 'very annoying' to 'annoying'). I think it's to do with streaming stuff from file a lot, as it's set up to work with a smaller but faster set of memory. If I'm right, it's the same sort of problem that Alpha Protocol had.

There's ini file settings that supposedly help, but DXHR's ini is all locked up in those weird bigfiles.
    Last edited by Harlander; 04-09-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Network Hub
    It might help to understand your problem if you described it a bit better, but if you're talking about 'stuttering' when moving around the levels (particularly present on the larger city hubs) then that's a common problem and there's nothing you can really do about it - it's a slightly shoddy console port so it's built to work within the memory constraints of a PS3. Instead of using all that lovely RAM you have to store the level, it constantly streams it off the hard-disk in chunks; if you check the task manager you'll see the game never even approaches 1gb memory use.

If you're talking about framerate issues, try lowing some graphics options and see if you can pinpoint the main performance guzzler.

Yes, I've dug around a bit more. I have the very common 'stutter' problem which Eidos has only just acknowledged exists. Waiting on a patch as changing settings doesn't affect the problem. It's also annoying that direct x 11 always locks up - all that lovely hardware underused.

Is it frame rate of an actual stutter? If you don't know DL fraps and check. Some games just stutter, e.g. I get a perfectly fine frame rate on Magicka, a constant 30-40 with everything turned on full, but the game stutters a lot and it's completely unrelated to the frame rate because fraps tells me I'm getting 40ish FPS, and yet the game is barely playable.

Either way it sounds like it's something you're guna need a fix for/wait for eidos to patch, but it might be worth going to the official forums and asking there (if other people are having the same problem there may well be a thread/threads already there waiting). Unlikely to help but you never know, if you don't ask you don't get. But if you do, do that, it'll be useful to be able to state whether your frame rate is plummeting to unplayable even though your specs say you should be able to run the game with out any problems (you really should with that set-up), or if your frame rate is fine but the game is stuttering.

If it's the problem that "Edgar The Peaceful" pointed out above then it's almost certain to be a stutter and not a drop in frame rate, but still best to check. Also if there are threads concerning the problem on the forums do post and state that you have the same problem, since the more people reporting it the more inclined Eidos are to sort it out quickly.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.