Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Youtube On Firefox Keep Crushing My Computer

I recently start to suffer from this issue, that it seems Youtube videos played on Firefox seem to quite frequently crushing my AMD catalyst 12.6 running HD4870. Even MS Windows 7 recovers from the driver clash, very often the whole system subsequently clashes and gives me BBOD. Frequency is about once a few weeks, which is very worrying. At first I figure it is a hardware issue since it is a BBOD in Windows beyond XP. Later I noticed, however, this occur when I am playing Youtube video, and on Firefox specifically. My rig is:

CPU: Intel i7 920
    Ram: 12GB DDR3
    GPU: AMD HD4870 1GB GDDR5 (driver is 12.6)
    Browser in question: Firefox 26.0

Is this a hardware or software issue?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I long ago stopped trying to problem solve on internet browsers with bugs. If after a reinstall of FF and Flash, I recommend moving to another browser until it gets sorted or an update fixes it.

Though it sounds more like a driver/video error than a FF/Flash one. But it's very hard to tell if it's the hardware (too hot, voltage leaky, PSU getting old etc), the drivers or the software that is at fault. Especially when it's so infrequent.

If it's only flash (and not say Videolan/media player) then I'd blame flash.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Try Youtube Center and uninstall flash.
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114002
    If the problem remains with HTML5 video, it's hardware, probably.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Thanks for the info. I will try. I do intend to replace my current rig, but I really what the current one to hang on till Windows 9 is out.

I've had problems with flash on firefox for ages, maybe try a different web browser?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Chrome runs it's own version of Flash (sandboxed) - that's worth trying.

BSODs are almost never caused by 'software' issues tho - they're caused by a hardware problem or at least a low-level software (driver) issue - which may be triggered by something else but which will remain an 'issue' anyway.

I'd probably clean every single driver off that PC and put the latest ones on - perhaps even reinstall Windows just for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    BSODs are almost never caused by 'software' issues tho
    I really want my rig to hang on till Wins 9.

But motherboard of Dell XPS 435 has fundamental engineering flaws, that is not a secret though. My board is about 2 year-old. I bought it for about 4 years and have the motherboard replaced twice, each at the year ends of the first two years. Dell covered it, and I don't think this is a good business deal. If Dell delivered a flawless good, it could have saved the cost in the first place.

And now that I stop using Firefox, I noticed any issue. For recent months I've been unable to deactivate USB flashdrive once plugged in. I've been using Firefox and once I switched on my computer I've always been keeping it opened. Sunday when I started to switch to Chrome, I suddenly noticed that I am able to deactivate flashdrive. I wonder if the two issues are related.
    Last edited by squirrel; 28-01-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Youtube + Firefox is a bad combo on my laptop as well. I wanted to keep using Firefox though, so solved it by switching out Firefox for "Pale Moon", which is a slightly more stable and Windows-only Firefox offshoot. (But it sounds like your problems are greater than the ones I was having).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

This one?

http://www.palemoon.org/

Cool. First time I learn this. May try this out after sorting things out.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    This one?

http://www.palemoon.org/

Cool. First time I learn this. May try this out after sorting things out.
    I use it for a long time and fully recommend it. Mainly because they have 64-bits build for Windows.

Try updating java

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpy3456 View Post
    Try updating java
    Waa, what?

Obscure Node
    Try Palemoon as Somini suggested. Otherwise there's always Chrome.