Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    I had no idea this was going on. I am very tempted to join if you have space, but I am unsure if I can really commit as I have real life Pathfinder on Thursdays. Combine that with planet side 2 and practicing my saxophone enough and maybe I'm out of hours.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    Welcome aboard, Pepper! All this time I saw your name in PS2 and seeing your sig under Pepper I never even realized you were the same!
    I am the one that goes by many names!

Btw, we chatted a bit on the morning of new years eve, I distinctly remember fighting on Esamir, but for now I shall act like a foolish n00b and read as many literature as I can!

I think I will go for the ranger class, if I am correct we are still missing one?
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    I am the one that goes by many names!

Btw, we chatted a bit on the morning of new years eve, I distinctly remember fighting on Esamir, but for now I shall act like a foolish n00b and read as many literature as I can!

I think I will go for the ranger class, if I am correct we are still missing one?
    Now that you mention that I vaguely remember that! You'll have to forgive my terrible memory! And yep, Ranger is still open!

Quote Originally Posted by kreggurree View Post
    I had no idea this was going on. I am very tempted to join if you have space, but I am unsure if I can really commit as I have real life Pathfinder on Thursdays. Combine that with planet side 2 and practicing my saxophone enough and maybe I'm out of hours.
    It's funny cause maybe a month ago we were down to bare-bones with members and were debating on canceling and I ALMOST posted a link to this thread in the Off-Topic in PS2 but didn't want people to think I was pimping my own thread incase that was a forum no-no. Kinda funny how people have found it lately though, between you, Pepper and Laldy!

Anyhoo, I believe we still have space if you have the time.. I wouldn't have a problem with you popping in like every two weeks or something if that's easier for you. (I'm not the GM though, just me sayin!)
    Last edited by TWChristine; 01-08-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I present to you, the story of Maximus:

Name: Maximus, Chaotic Human
    Role: Ranger
    STR 13, DEX 16, CON 9, INT 15, WIS 12, CHA 8. HP 17
    Female companion hawk named Carigula, has a majestic preference for attacking humanoid targets, has a habit of savagely attacking anything that it isnt specificly trained to handle and is rather stubborn once she has set her mind on a target. Enjoys petting at sunset and is a excellent scout although tends to disappear for days yet always emminently reappearing in the nick of time. Maximus suspects she spend most of her time hunting nearby in the wide opens when this happends.

Fast, Stealthy, intimidating, scout, savage and stubborn. +3 ferocity, +1 cunning, 1 Armor, +2 Instinct

Attack same target, adds ferocity to damage.

Starting Moves:
    Hunt and Track(Wis) – Determine what caused the trail to end

Gear: Hunters Bow and short sword
    Adventure Gear and bundle of arrows(3 ammo, 1 weight)

Story:
    Maximus grew up in a small desolate fishing village northwest of the Maka Forrest, it was a small impoverished place that never saw any outsiders and for all intents and purposes doesnt exist for the outside world. The inhabitants of this quaint little place dont mind, they know enough and have seen enough to realize that not existing in this world might just be a positive feature.

For maximus, this was not quite right, he always wandered into the forrest, eventually disappearing for days, his parents had already given up hope that he would find rest and peace in fishing and thus spent more time with his bretheren(1 brother, 2 sisters). Eventually Maximus never came back, not that anyone noticed or cared for long enough anyway.

Thus, he became a wandered, visiting the plains of imam and the far eastern edges of the Songo desert. He learned to stay away from any human contact as well, after having a few bad run in's with local thugs that frankly didnt quite know what to make of his scruffy look, wild eyes and generally uncared for exterior look. In the forests he mastered camouflage, dodging perilous dangers but mostly humans that wandered in too deep.

Maximus has often enough seen groups of 'adventurers' go about, or so they called themselves as he had stalked them through the forests. Not that he really knew what they were up too. Often they just went into old ruins and other structures that posed little good for anyone venturing near it, this Maximus knew well enough.
    To him, they always seemed like a consort of live forms that had a very special death wish, looking for 'treasure', or such things. Trinkets, nothing more. Left behind by gods of old, monster of new and what else lurks beneath.

Nop, he didnt plan on getting involved with these people anyway. As his grandfather had always said; “take what you can get and leave before anyone realizes your true potential”, 's'pose the old man did have a use afteral' Maximus realized, as he had just looted the supplies of another group of strangers.
    Not that he needed it, no he was quite well supplied, he just considered it more of a sport then a necessity, it was a good exercise and brought some sport into his life.
    Little did he know that it would come back to bit him someday.

Nothing seemed odd that evening, the prelude to disaster was not yet visible not did the weather show any signs that day. In retrospect it all seemed odd, almost predestined.

As maximus took shelter for the storm in a nearby cavernous system he fell through some sort of trapped floor. Fortunately the trap wasnt quite working anymore, but going forward was the only way out, or so it appeared......

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    I won't be able to make it next Friday (8th) as I will be on my way back from Paris with Mrs. Brim.
    have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    So who is interested? Cardinal would you be alright with that?
    sure. dont forget to give us some background info to help us develop our characters. will we be using the standard dw classes?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

If you want to see what its all about I'm basically doing a one shot next week which seems to be turning into taster for new people, test of a setting and one last hurrah. Which is really awesome I have to say. So if you want to try it out but don't think you can do a weekly schedule its definitly a good option.

Oh yeah Pepper it might be best to make a different character for my one shot as well since its a completely different world and setting but you can wait until i post up the details of the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by kreggurree View Post
    we play every friday so feel free to jump in when you can.
    here is a good link to start with - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post516843
    at the moment the party is in need of a druid and a paladin.

however as xercies pointed out, next week he will be dm'ing a one off in a completely different universe. so stay tuned to this thread for details as we get closer.

@pepper: awesome; glad to have you aboard!
    Last edited by cardinaldirection; 02-08-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Ok Setting the scene time for this Fridays session, its going to be a bit more open this session going to be asking you a few questions when a scene starts so its deliberately a bit vague to get you started but to get your input as well.

The City of Teuthida

Teuthida is a very large and bustling city based around where the sea and the river meet. It is a powerhouse for trade, for Squid lives in its curious waters, they farm the Squid and make various foods and items from it making it very rich. It also allows a lot of trade in and because of this back and forth it has many people from a wide range of cultures, races, and languages mixing in the various different districts. On the surface it seems like a very popular rich city, but when you actually live there you realise it is nothing like you have ever visited before, all the districts have interesting quirks to them, and even strange phenomena. The rulers do some very strange things and allow districts to almost be there own city, and make some very strange laws that affect a lot of people. And there is even something strange about the Squid.

Main Street and Waterfront District

The Main Street and the Waterfront district is the place to go for tourists and shoppers everywhere, full of items that the Squid Factories produce and the other civilizations have traded. Even on a quiet day the crowds are hard to get through, the people are in every direction, they are in every shop, and they seem to not let you past them. There are various different shops, in the side streets there are wondrous impossible things to catch a glimpse of. ~The bars are full of strange people and customs. Cut-throats and purse snatchers are very prevalent in this street, for the crowd of people give juicy targets and great hiding places.

Art Hub

The most vibrant part of the city, full of cafes, coffee shops, art gallerys, and the large high rise buildings where the artists with not much money to their name live in very dirty conditions. When you go past you can always hear arguments about what the greatest bits of art are, what the trends of the Art Hub seem to be going, some of these arguments get very heated sometimes to heated as policemen sometimes find dead mutilated artists in an alleyway after a few of these arguments. Sometimes the art itself can have a great impact on the city, or even sometimes some weird magical properties that affect anyone who sees it.

Rich Residential Area

The rich people of the city like to live in there massive stone houses near the hills in the outside of the city. They all seem to know each other and go to many bizarre clubs and rituals together, sometimes putting pins on there dinner jackets, and sometimes wearing ghoulish animal masks. The Rich residential area streets are built like a maze, where only people who have the money to live there and have gone through the necessary rituals know there way around it. If you don't know your way around it, you are an unfortunate soul since you might not be seen again, or if you are seen again you are very unrecognisable.

Religious District

Religion s a big part to people in the city, especially to the immigrants who live there since it gives them a place to fill comforted and to meet their brethren. There are many different religions in this part of town all having a building, sometimes you can get lost in there, sometimes it seems impossible how many buildings there are because no matter what religion there is there is always a building for it...always. There are even small buildings for the cults that spring up through various different reasons, these seem the most dangerous as they don't always want gold from their followers, and they always want new people to be in there fold whether those new people want to be there or not.

Abandoned District

Something seems to have happened to this great city, something that has put a scar in the city itself through abandoned crumbling buildings that once stood proud and full of life but are now like ghosts, empty. No one wants to talk about what happened, or maybe the people who originally knew died off or the thing that happened affected them also in some strange way. All people know is that they want to stay far away from the Abandoned District, sometimes people have nightmares about what might be in there.

Factory District

The manufacturing heart of the city, where all the squids get made into useful items and food. It is dirty, smelly, and full of smog which means it is far away from civilization and only the workers are allowed to go in there. Which is a good thing, since the smog hides something impossible and maybe something dangerous, also there seems to be some factories that no one seems to go in or out of but seems to be doing...something. There can also be glimpses of strange figures that might appear human but are definitely not.

Squid Farming and Research District

A ramshackle part of the city full of fisherman boats and huts, and some research facilities. All in the name of catching the squid, and either sending it over to the factories or studying it. Both the fisherman and the scientists are a curious bunch, seemingly half mad through the loneliness of their job, and maybe because of the squid itself. Some fisherman and squid after a few years get out of the area fast, rambling on about how the Squid are going to ruin the city and that they should destroy every one. But that won't happen since the scientists and the fisherman, and the whole city relies on the Squid to much.

I think you get the idea for the setting, definitely going for a kind of Gothic City with weird things going on kind of feel.

can i has druid?

Yes you totally can! If no one else wants it, I would take this opportunity to play a class you haven't played with though.

I'm curious how some of these classes will work if the setting is 18th-ish century?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

Im also curious. I guess we will find out.

Well I think if we theme them right they could work, instead of your standard medieval fighter maybe its a Soldier/Boxing guy, instead of a Wizard maybe its a Mystic, instead of a Paladin maybe its a Freemason/Knights Templar.

Maybe Read/Watch The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll pick whatever class is left over, I havent played with any of them yet anyway!

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Well I think if we theme them right they could work, instead of your standard medieval fighter maybe its a Soldier/Boxing guy, instead of a Wizard maybe its a Mystic, instead of a Paladin maybe its a Freemason/Knights Templar.

Maybe Read/Watch The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Yea, that's kind of what I was thinking in terms of the fighter..I guess my main wonder is how do the fighter abilities work if you're then actually referring to someone as a soldier? (Note: When I'm thinking 18th soldier I'm thinking of someone with a gun, so..)

Edit: Guess I'll try out a Thief, since CD took the druid even though HE KNOWS THAT'S WHAT I'M ALL ABOUT IN WARCRAFT!
    Last edited by TWChristine; 05-08-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

you can be the druid if you want, ill don my wizards hat. =p

im curious, do our characters get any free levels since we're only doing a one off?

Nah, I'm joking..BUT OF COURSE YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT. If you end up going the wizard route though, don't forget the robe as well!
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

im curious, do our characters get any free levels since we're only doing a one off?

Yeah I think I'll start your characters at Level 3 meaning you get the 2 stat boosts and the two moves.

I guess my main wonder is how do the fighter abilities work if you're then actually referring to someone as a soldier?

I think it could still work, I mean even though its 18th century your adventurers/special people so if you want to go around with a hammer you totally can. Just maybe understand fictionally why your character does that.

Also if you could post your characters that would be cool.

well if im a wizard im more of an alchemist: a tall, thin gentleman with a top hat, a monocle, a pointy mustache, and pointy ears, who supposedly is a bit mad due to his ancient royal elven blood - all my spells will in fact be potions, my spellbook will in fact be a medicine bag, and instead of "preparing spells in contemplation" i will "utilize traveling chemistry set".

if im a druid im more of a chaotic voodoo witch doctor / pirate who was born of the open sea, can shapeshift into creatures of that realm; and looks like mercutio from the dicaprio version.

If you want a proper Alchemist here is a link to someone's take on the kind of class: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2zm...BIeU1qenM/edit

Also if anyone wants to be a different class there are a few here:

http://dungeonworldexplorer.com/additional-classes.html

and looks like mercutio from the dicaprio version

I'm not looking forward to the constant shouts of WAAAAAAAALLLT! During the session.