Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Network Hub
    200 posts on a sexual harassment thread ... you just know it's gone to hell and back three times over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    200 posts on a sexual harassment thread ... you just know it's gone to hell and back three times over.
    To this post and similar posts: please don't just post if all you have to say is "Gosh, this sure is a thread" or "Gosh, this thread sucks" or any variant thereupon. It's not very constructive, it's not clever, and it's kinda rude.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Stuff
    What she's getting at is that it's wholly crass in just about every conceivable way to suddenly, in the middle of a discussion about someone else's harassment experience, to sit up and start banging on about "but I have a problem with the way John Walker writes about stuff" because the moment someone does that, they're making it -about them- not about the harassment. Hence the "oh look over there" nature of Serenegoose's post. Suddenly we're not talking about harassment, we're talking about John and how some people on the internet don't like the way he writes which is OBVIOUSLY a more important topic than -yet another- woman on the internet getting harassed by a nerd.

You might well be able to see how we get from one to the other, it doesn't mean that someone should go from one to the other or whether going from one to the other is a nice or considerate thing to do.

I feel plenty uncomfortable in many situations :(
    Sure. But there's a marked difference between feeling uncomfortable in many situations and a constant and consistent invasion of personal space and the constant stream of harassment that many women go through that makes them uncomfortable.

Generally: I am uncomfortable != People keep making me uncomfortable in places I should be safe all the time.
    Last edited by RobF; 02-02-2014 at 03:38 AM.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Sure. But there's a marked difference between feeling uncomfortable in many situations and a constant and consistent invasion of personal space and the constant stream of harassment that many women go through that makes them uncomfortable.

Generally: I am uncomfortable != People keep making me uncomfortable in places I should be safe all the time.
    Kanye West talked about that in an interview, as well. As did someone else, in an even more eloquent way, but it's on the tip of my brain-tongue and I can't remember the line or the name ...

Anyway, what Kanye West talked about was this constant paranoia; racism comes through in so many small ways--sometimes intentional sometimes not. Not only do you face the explicit stuff near constantly ... but you're always feeling subtle things and you can't, by the very nature of those things, tell if it's you reading too much into it, the other person double talking, or a larger social trope speaking through the other person--and usually it's some combination of all of them. Being part of an underclass creates a near constant level of stress that people who haven't experienced it will always have trouble entirely understanding.

One nice litmus test to apply in these sorts of discussions is this: are you using what discomfort you have experienced to empathize with someone else's discomfort, or are you using it to erase their discomfort? Very rarely is using empathy to erase someone's discomfort a trustworthy impulse. It's not that you can't also build up imaginary pain that you falsely believe someone to be feeling, too--it's just that the odds are sort of against you coming from a completely legitimate place when your argument lines up perfectly with longstanding and powerful social pressures that aim to erase the existence of social problems where the acknowledgment of said problems threatens your own social standing and questions the legitimacy of your and your class's privilege.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 02-02-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    I thought mods were supposed to remain impartial? Should I be guilty for being born with a penis? It's not may fault. Or are you saying sere feels guilt? I'm confused.

I was only critisiing her post and she is criticizing me. That's kind of the point isn't it? We're aren't being over offensive to each other.
    we arent supposed to stay impartial. we shouldnt, however, abuse our extra features.

that being said, the vagina comment was sarcasm.
    also, you implied serene was responsible for some impoliteness further down the way. while the first couple of posts she didnt really contribute, there were more than just those that sortof diffused what it was really about.

also, to everyone thats only now joining: its 200 posts of quite ok discussion. dont drop by to say OMG SEXISM AGAIN when you could just as well not say anyzhing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

I think all these OMG 200 POST are saying a variant of "why we even have this discussion on this forum?".

The people saying "Is ontopic" have a agenda.

And now, lets await for that "floor" thing, It looks friendly and is comming to us very fast!!, I am so excited!
    Last edited by Tei; 02-02-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Oh no, again".

tei. for the love of me I cant understand what you are saying, or trying to say.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    that being said, the vagina comment was sarcasm.
    It actually came across as rather rude to me, sarcasm or no.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    What she's getting at is that it's wholly crass in just about every conceivable way to suddenly, in the middle of a discussion about someone else's harassment experience, to sit up and start banging on about "but I have a problem with the way John Walker writes about stuff" because the moment someone does that, they're making it -about them- not about the harassment. Hence the "oh look over there" nature of Serenegoose's post. Suddenly we're not talking about harassment, we're talking about John and how some people on the internet don't like the way he writes which is OBVIOUSLY a more important topic than -yet another- woman on the internet getting harassed by a nerd.
    Not entirely sure that's what happened, for once. Unlike the comments thread on the front page, most of the criticism of JW on here has been of the type "I support what he's trying to do, but think he's being un-/counter-productive to that aim".

I do not understand why we have to talk about John Walker in these threads and I really feel like I should delete all those postings. If you have a problem with John Walker or any of other writers, put it in the RPS subforum or even better, write to the people directly. They sure as hell won't read it here.
    Really, all it does is making you look tedious and it contributes nothing. The technical term for this phenomenon is called "shitposting".
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @gwathdring: I think the middle paragraph makes a good point. It is a very interesting experience to live in Japan as a white male. Suddenly you tend to get sensitive about people looking at you all the time. But are they really looking at you because you're a foreigner, or are you imagining it. When people don't choose the empty seat next to you, is it because you're a foreigner, or is it all in your head. You end up assuming the worst of everyone. (and that's without actually experiencing any overtly negative behavior.) It's an interesting view of how others might feel.

Back on topic (Since I only read the OP and skipped the 10+ pages of bickering.)

That was incredibly painful and awkward to read. (I feel like there is some other context I am missing. Nobody is that socially oblivious, are they?) On the positive side of things I'm pretty sure that this was on the extreme end of the spectrum for things like this and the reaction has been overwhelmingly in support of the female game dev except for a handful of individuals the offending party realised that he fucked up big time and stepped down from his position.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I do not understand why we have to talk about John Walker in these threads and I really feel like I should delete all those postings.
    Because how these things are reported by the press matters.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    What the heck are you even responding to because it sure as fuck doesn't read like anything from my post.
    I spoke (wrote?) out of ignorance assuming that "Chris to prop him up" was the dead brother in question, whom I now know to be Zach Mattingly. I'm definitely not going to apologize for ignorance in the face of someone being judgmental and crass, even if you weren't being quite as monstrous as I originally thought.

Your comment still had basically nothing to do with the event in question, and language like "prop up" suggests disdain for the person's work. I stand by the point of my original comment and add a hearty FUCK YOU, PEDANT.

If you're judging someone for something irrelevant to the case in question, you're piling on and a fuckhead. Deal with it.

May I defer you to the rules, Mr greybuscat?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...?104-The-Rules

You seem to be coherent, atleast, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Infractions work like this: 5 points and you get a tempban, but moreover, Jim will come and judge you.

You got 1 point now, these things fade after 30 days, however, so if you adhere to the rules from now on, you'll be fine.

All of that being said, RobF, I know he was being annoying to you before, but do please refrain from antagonising if at all possible, so we can get on with the discussion, not that you should suffer personal attacks.

Also, can I please remind everyone that the REPORT FUNCTION (the little warning sign in the left corner) does WORK, and if you have something to complain about, do use that. We are all watching, in a loving big brother NSA way.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 03-02-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by greybuscat View Post
    If you're judging someone for something irrelevant to the case in question, you're piling on and a fuckhead. Deal with it.
    Kinda like how Jimmy Saville was a child molester, but to imply that he wasn't otherwise absolutely brilliant is being a fuckhead.