Thread: Mantle in BF4

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Mantle in BF4

Is out.

Anyone with BF4 and AMD cards tried it yet?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...4-mantle-live/

Hi,My name is Johan Andersson and Im one of the Technical Directors in the Frostbite team and I have something very exciting to share with all Battlefield players: the latest Battlefield 4 update on PC includes the long-awaited new renderer in Frostbite that is using AMDs Mantle.

Mantle is a new low-level graphics API that weve been working very closely with AMD on over the last 2 years and it is a major change & improvement to how we are able to program & use modern GPUs in order to get the most out of them.
    Battlefield 4 on PC is already quite heavily optimized using DirectX 11 and DirectX 11.1, but with Mantle we are able to go even further: weve significantly reduced CPU cost in our rendering, efficiently parallelized it over multiple CPU cores and reduced overhead in many areas.

The biggest performance gains can be seen when the game is bottlenecked by the CPU which can be quite common even on high-end machines and this was main goal to improve on with Mantle. Weve also been able to streamline and optimize some of the GPU workload. The end result is that game performance is improved in virtually all scenarios in Battlefield 4 on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 when running with Mantle!

This update is the first release of our new Mantle renderer, and we will continue to provide more tuning for different types of configurations in future updates. Still, we are really happy with the performance improvements that we are seeing with this update and we believe you will be as well.

Read on for the full details on how to enable Mantle, and some information on the kind of performance gains you can expect.
    Curious to see what live performance gains others have gotten. (Do not own BF4 yet here, AMD 7950, i7-3xxx)
    They suggest more performance gains with lesser CPUs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Apparently the BF4 patch is out, but the Catalyst drivers that enable it aren't, so it's not quite available yet. AMD is supposedly working on it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll try it just because my rig meets the reqs, but there's hardly any need. I already get anywhere from 70-90fps on mostly ultra settings, while recording my gameplay.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Apparently the BF4 patch is out, but the Catalyst drivers that enable it aren't, so it's not quite available yet. AMD is supposedly working on it.
    Ooops! /10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Perhaps theres a higuer demand for this drivers than normal. I am having problems to download it.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm interested to see what happens with this, though I doubt it'll be enough to convince me to replace my GTX 680 with an R9 290 or whatever AMD's high-end cards are called, since I have many, many years' worth of games that don't support Mantle (isn't BF4 the only one right now?) and never worked when I had my ATI HD4870. Also BF4 runs perfectly fine on my 680, so there's that. Ah, who am I kidding, my CPU is the next thing I should be upgrading.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have a i7 Ivy with my 7950, so I think I will be good for awhile. I am most curious on their larger performance gains with lower end CPUs. I could see it in a couple years giving my CPU longer life while I can move onto a new GPU only.

Catalyst 14.1 just got released. I get a very noticeable improvement using Mantle in BF4 with my R9 290 + stock clock i7 920. Almost reminds of the good old 3dfx days. Hopefully we'll see a high adoption rate going forward.
    Last edited by eRa; 02-02-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Activated Node
    funny thing I have an nvidia card and am getting higher frame rates now. I think they did some general improvements to the game as well as added mantle.

I hope to try it out this week. I was waiting for the AMD drivers to see how it goes with the Star Swarm demo.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I'm interested to see what happens with this, though I doubt it'll be enough to convince me to replace my GTX 680 with an R9 290 or whatever AMD's high-end cards are called, since I have many, many years' worth of games that don't support Mantle (isn't BF4 the only one right now?) and never worked when I had my ATI HD4870. Also BF4 runs perfectly fine on my 680, so there's that. Ah, who am I kidding, my CPU is the next thing I should be upgrading.
    It is only bf4 for the moment, running on Ultra with my new R9 290 I get an noticeable increase of 15fps roughly, things look real good and I have not noticed any frame drop for the moment.
    Mantle could not work before, those are the first drivers to enable it.
    This aside I am quite amazed by the perf you can get out of the R9 290 for the price it costs.

Obscure Node
    I'm going to get new computer. So far I have CPU, mobo, ram, sdd and hdd but waiting for a GPU.
    Sapphire tri-x 290 seems like a fantastic bet!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Priutus View Post
    I'm going to get new computer. So far I have CPU, mobo, ram, sdd and hdd but waiting for a GPU.
    Sapphire tri-x 290 seems like a fantastic bet!
    It is, it's the one I got, it is very good, noise level are very low and the perfs are amazing, would recommend. Worth the extra for the cooler.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I gave it try last night. It actually caused some minor stuttering. Nothing major, but it would hiccup every couple minutes or so. It was my first time playing since the last patch though, and it seems like they did make some decent performance tweaks. I went back to DX11 and was getting anywhere between 120-145 fps on High. Switching to ultra cuts my total fps by about 25%, which isn't worth it to me. I will probably settle on some hybrid between the two eventually. Plus, my recording software doesn't work with Mantle, so it's back to DX11 for now.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post
    funny thing I have an nvidia card and am getting higher frame rates now. I think they did some general improvements to the game as well as added mantle.
    I think they did, I get 200fps now with normal settings at 1080p. I turned it down from high because my card (a GTX 680, which is hardly weak!) was having some trouble keeping the frame rate stable; it would average well above 60 but certain events caused it to drop and in my opinion the only thing worse than a low frame rate is an unstable one. I might try turning it up a notch again.