Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Another vote for ADOM, the most polishing and interesting one in my eyes. It actually feels like a real RPG instead of just a hack&slash, at least once you progressed past the first village. And even there, the choices you make in dealing with different monsters are amazing. I just wish that ADOM's world wouldn't deterioate THAT fast and give me more time to actually explore it.

Dwarf Fortress is a pretty good rogue-like, if you like split personalities and Minecraft. But you probably heard of it.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arona Daal View Post
    Incursion :Halls of the Goblin King
    Incursion is very clever and deep, and has a lot of interesting features.

There's only one thing I'd say against it: it uses Omega's terrible inventory system. There's an inventory slot, 'in the air', which you have to cycle stuff through if you want to move things around. Yep, its inventory is based on juggling.
    Last edited by Harlander; 28-09-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Increased the emphasis on how bad Omega's inventory is

Obscure Node
    A favourite of mine is Powder. It's quite a simple one compared to the NetHack's and ADoM's but I really like the implementation of the Gods and the various skills. The graphics & UI are pretty good too.

I hope some shameless (self) promotion of Roguelike Radio - a podcast dedicated to roguelikes - is appropriate here.

We're debating how to do a 'new to roguelikes' show - I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrden View Post
    Something simpler, but still good: DOOM-roguelike

Never made it past the first dungeon in ADOM myself, in spite of 20+ tries :/
    The DOOM roguelike is fantastic, very easy to pick up and not *too* punishing.

Activated Node
    Brogue is a more traditional take on Roguelikes but with a few unique twists of its own up its sleeves. It has a rather pretty presentation and UI, and a rather smooth learning curve, although don't mistake that for the game being easy.

Cataclysm is a zombie apocalypse survival roguelike, with online features if you play via the SSH version that make the world more lived in as users download from a saved world file on the servers. Pretty cool to be making your way through the towns, looting and such, and finding the body of another real player. It's currently in early alpha but already has more features than Rogue Survivor.

Obscure Node
    ADOM is so damn awesome. But I've played it to death. It has the best moment in gaming for me though, finally winning it...
    For some reason I won with odd characters such as a high-elf weaponsmith, smithing my two phase daggers to godlike stats, and then a gnome barbarian going through most of the game as a true berserker with a tight grip on his Vanquisher.

I got killed today while playing Nethack on my phone. My wizard was turned into stone by a chicatrice in Minetown.

I was sat on the bog at the time.

Heh, I was going to start a thread asking for people's recommendations for other style roguelikes -basically non dungeon ones as I never really got on with them.

More love for Cataclysm which is my flavour of the day at the moment. It did not occur to me that these things were basically made for unix until I looked there (someone will tell me I'm wrong, that's fine as I don't listen to other people). So, though I should be trying to learn linux (and every other computer language under the sun apparently) I can convince myself that at least I'm learning the vi-keys for movement which is really, really important.
    This link should take you to a windows version, modded and with a tileset if you are so inclined (I am)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?09i4dfu2kmabokf
    Sorry cannot remember the forum that I got the link off, but it was probably from one of these threads
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87501.0
    Or http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=73296
    It even has a brief tutorial in the game which for a first timer like me was very useful -well I say brief as I set fire to everything and was killed by the smoke. (tutorial was bugged for me in graphic set, so you might want to play it through in the ascii version)

Ascii Sector http://www.asciisector.net/ is Elite. Sort of. Has not updated since March I think as the dude went and got married. Has quests and ship buying and old out of date tutorials...
    http://www.asciisector.net/forum/vie...092cc78de793ee

Rogue Survivor was another promising one, but I think the programmer has gotten sidetracked with learning Flash and so development has stopped.

Now to look at Decker from the thread above.
    Last edited by Temple; 28-09-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Trying not to repeat too much what others have said
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

Quote Originally Posted by lunarplasma View Post
    I got killed today while playing Nethack on my phone.
    And in the game...?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarplasma View Post
    I was sat on the bog at the time.
    And in the game?

Kieron Gillen is to blame for my first roguelike experience too, but I never got very far in ZAngbandTK even despite savescumming a bit, and I eventually stopped playing it as much. A good while later someone recommended Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and it totally hooked me - it's probably the game I spend the most time on these days, or at least the one I most consistently go back to (also playing on the online servers or on Webtiles means no cheating even if I wanted to, plus people can watch you playing and give advice or laugh at your deaths). I even started contributing patches to the game and now probably spend almost as much time tweaking/balancing/adding things as I do playing it. I've dipped into Nethack and ADOM a tiny tiny bit, and ToME I spent a little more time with, but nothing grabbed me as much as Crawl (I think mainly I feel so spoiled by Crawl's awesome interface that I miss it far too much whenever I try something different).

I remember Decker being pretty simple but good fun regardless, when I tried it during a desperate search for decent cyberpunk roguelikes (I've still not really found anything more substantial, though). Also DoomRL is awesome and I should play that some more. I've heard lots of good things about Brogue from other Crawl players, too, but not tried that yet.

I love RPS. :)

Obscure Node
    I once listened to an episode about Desktop Dungeons...what i heard were loads of moments of awkward silence and nothing much insightful, or even descriptive, to say. I wont say that you need to read from a script, but perhaps to think a few key points to touch on, beforehand, would be prudent, wouldnt you say ?

Far more interesting is Rogue Survivor... survivalist zombie game, quite challenging.
    Try it it's quite good!
    Really ? I found it kind of...crappy ?
    When compared to my all-time zombie favorite - Survival Crisis Z...it should be easier to do more complex mechanics in roguelikes, but Rogue Survivor is ambitious in all the wrong places.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karry View Post
    I wont say that you need to read from a script, but perhaps to think a few key points to touch on, beforehand, would be prudent, wouldnt you say ?
    That's no substitute for having a strong opinion and being comfortable speaking (I'm looking at you, socially awkward nerds). I mean, I can chat for hours about something I care about, with no prep. And if you don't have a well-developed opinion, why would anyone care what you have to say?

Tangentially, I've recently been appreciating the graphics that David Gervais made for a variety of roguelikes, licensed under the very liberal CC-BY. He's got both isometric and top-down art, really good placeholder stuff if you're making a game. A step up from RLTiles, which I often use.

http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/tome/tome-tiles.htm

Network Hub
    Mission Thunderbolt is a pretty cool Roguelike from back in the day. It's notable for it's odd sci-fi setting, and also for having a decent graphical UI. Also has some nice ideas with randomisation, such as different coloured pills and "strange devices" that have be experimented with to determine what they actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by karry View Post
    I once listened to an episode about Desktop Dungeons...what i heard were loads of moments of awkward silence and nothing much insightful, or even descriptive, to say. I wont say that you need to read from a script, but perhaps to think a few key points to touch on, beforehand, would be prudent, wouldnt you say ?
    That was the one episode we put up 'raw' without editing. And there's still plenty of insightful discussion... I'm not sure how you missed it.
    Last edited by andrewdoull; 07-10-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Obscure Node
    I would put in another vote for Nethack if you ever want to take the ASCII plunge. To me these types of games aren't about the graphics at all and I find with a few tweaks, the Nethack interface is not bad at all. Much of the joy is in thinking your way out of situations.

My first ascension in Nethack is still one of my best gaming memories.

Setting up a pudding farm and and genociding every genocidable race in the game is another fond memory, made even better by the fact that I was unable to ascend due to the fact in the Plane of Air the entire level became filled with Angelic Beings and Major Demons as these were the only summonable monsters left in the game. However this game still stands as the 150th all-time score on alt.org nethacks servers. If you play nethack, take a look at the level when I died :

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/r/re...3564.nh343.txt

That's what you get when you genocide everything :) But oh, that inventory....*sigh* If only I could have ascended with all those gems.....

I would suggest giving it a try in pure ASCII first. The tilesets are OK but I never felt they capture the game as well as the raw ASCII and could not play with them for very long.

You can play online at www.alt.org/nethack using their online clients or telnet in to nethack.alt.org. One of the really nice features with their client is the ability to watch other games in session. Watching an experienced player can really help get a feel for the game and you are sure to catch some interesting moments.
    Last edited by aquamarine; 07-10-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Obscure Node
    I have a hard time getting into most roguelikes, but i LOVE Incursion, which has been mentioned in here before. It's grounded in d&d rules, but not bound to them, and it's extremely user friendly and interesting.

Additionally, the roguelike i've actually put the most hours into is Iter Vehemens ad Necem, which is a legitimately hilarious pretty casual roguelike with hellish difficulty.

I can really recommend Tome. It is not as randomly generated as I would like as you got a predetermined quest line and areas to seek out, but the actual dungeon layout tends to be random with certain bosses being in place at specific points. However, what I really like is that you have 25 unlockable classes and races which adds some value to the impending death you will have and the consequent replay. I have not played that much yet, but some of these are unlocked randomly by you stumbling into some ritual or whatever whilst others are related to quests and actions. Oh and you start with like 6 classes and 3 races with several subclasses from the start, so fairly nice variation.

Link: http://te4.org/