Network Hub

Jagged Alliance 2

Anyone else got tired halfway through? I started my first playthrough, have about half the cities, but can't arsed to go on and fight again and again and again these slow turn based battles, then micromanaging a hundred weapons, ammo and items, then getting attacked by enemy forces and having to defend, fighting enemies while travelling through sectors, then healing and sleeping and do it all over again.

I know it's a combat orient game and the tactical mechanics are top notch, but the game tires me. I can play slow games (love the X series), can play combat heavy games (love King's Bounty), but this one doesn't do it for me.

Maybe it's more fun if i play iron man and just deal with the consequences? I've been saving and loading and trying not have anyone die on me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    You could go for the more direct approach. Your mission is to kill the queen, not conquer the country.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    You could go for the more direct approach. Your mission is to kill the queen, not conquer the country.
    Well i actually tried that. Ran to the main city but got quickly blown by missiles or whatever they were.

Obscure Node
    I always end up quitting once I get to the main city. Dealing with tanks is too tedious.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Got to admit I never finished it once either. I think it got too tedious for me as well. *shrugs*

Same here actually, I love the game to bits but when I reach the capital city (twice now on different playthroughs about 3 years apart) I just sort of sigh inwardly and go 'I'll do it tomorrow' and load up Skyrim, or anything else that's actually fun, instead.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Kind of the same with my and X-COM.
    There are too many things like having to get psi researching going from the very start. If you dont, you can waste time training up brilliant soldiers who will just be mind controlled and destroy half your force. There just ends up being too much micromanagement. A brilliant game, I often end up just starting again, and quitting like half way through. Those sort of systems can be kind of enjoyable, but can quickly become tedious.

Still havent played JA2, dunno why.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't remember capital being that tedious, though i've only played game full through twice iirc.

I do remember going for queen on another try by just not capping the capital and blitzing through (and then bomb through few walls in end to get to her without getting stuck in murderzones at doors).

curiosly: How many people play 1.13 (or other mods), and who are the madmen who enable Drassen Counterattack ticked?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    I don't remember capital being that tedious, though i've only played game full through twice iirc.

I do remember going for queen on another try by just not capping the capital and blitzing through (and then bomb through few walls in end to get to her without getting stuck in murderzones at doors).

curiosly: How many people play 1.13 (or other mods), and who are the madmen who enable Drassen Counterattack ticked?
    I only played 1.12. I hear 1.13 makes the whole thing bigger and harder, which is why i won't be touching it.

Quote Originally Posted by smullyoz View Post
    makes the whole thing bigger and harder, which is why i won't be touching it.
    Fnar fnar!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    JA2 1.13 midgame is micromanagment nightmare. Thats if you actually try to run an armed rebellion. Managing a small squad is much easier. Last time I played I soloed it with one stealth merc and lots of saveload, ofcourse. Still it was more fun than fighting 6 vs 40 against blackshirts on open terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Magic, Shadow or Imp?

(insert GoT joke here)