Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    Damn, does that mean we need to stop following GoT and Sherlock as they're popular and thus have wide appeal?
    Didn't you get the memo? If it's popular, it sucks.

Man, you're so out of the loop. I was the cool form of uncool before uncool became a thing.

Playing retro platformers, BBL.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Didn't you get the memo? If it's popular, it sucks.
    This school of thought is far too common to be given any serious consideration.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Damn, does that mean we need to stop following GoT and Sherlock as they're popular and thus have wide appeal?
    No, that's a straw man. Bad things are bad. Popular things are popular. Pandering things tend to be bad, but not always. Niches are created to fulfill needs and only succeed if they are good enough, so emphasis is in quality. Pandering creates lowest denominator content and that tends to affect quality due to lower "affordances", they need to be created easy and whoa-esque for everyone to follow.

Example: GoT is a series of books that have been around since 1996. I've been reading them since the early 00s. Lots of neckbeard fans. They made a TV show. The TV show was a success. Is it popular because it's so marketed and simplified even your grandma can follow the plot, or is it popular because the original content is good?

You can give it some thought or you can be a child about it.
    Last edited by pakoito; 04-02-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Network Hub
    In the actual game a few heroes have been re-skinned, but in most cases the default model is mostly replaced with later Alts.

There's quite a few tencent games I'd like to see ported over, but only with a language change or possibly just subtitles and english menus. I prefer games to be intact, not gutted like this.
    That's what makes games more interesting, otherwise everything just starts looking and playing the same.
    Last edited by hideinlight; 04-02-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Network Hub
    Yes, i'm aware it was a straw man. I really didn't see your arguments to be so compelling that i couldn't just make fun of them just as well as you make fun of that comment of mine.

Bad things are bad.
    Popular things are popular.

Correlation does not imply causation, and lumping all new music to bieber or non-quake shooters to CoD is even more bullshit than my strawman.

Getting actually on topic though: Why on earth does tencent want HoN anyway?

Network Hub
    Yes, i'm aware it was a straw man. I really didn't see your arguments to be so compelling that i couldn't just make fun of them just as well as you make fun of that comment of mine.

Bad things are bad.
    Popular things are popular.

Correlation does not imply causation, and lumping all new music to bieber or non-quake shooters to CoD is even more bullshit than my strawman.

Tencent is like the Zygna(before it went under) that was pumping out clones like no tomorrow in China, because of the lack of any real copyright laws.

They became so bloody rich, established a kind of monopoly so that they don't need to clone games anymore, they can just buy them now. If there's any competitor to a specific game, why not just buy that competitor, the profits will still go their way.

They even own big stake in Smite.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Is it popular because it's so marketed and simplified even your grandma can follow the plot, or is it popular because the original content is good?
    'Simplified' isn't a dirty word and doesn't automatically equate with 'crap'. I know RPS collectively seems to automatically equate 'complexity' with 'awesome' but it simply isn't true.

I guess they've seen that MOBAs can make cash, and decided to get in on that action. As hideinlight said, they might as well just work with something that's already popular.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Network Hub
    Works that're crafted to have a broad appeal can be good, but rarely great. They are, almost by definition, incapable of pushing boundaries. There's nothing wrong with enjoying works with broad appeal, but a diet consisting solely of them would be poorer for it.
    Last edited by Lethe; 05-02-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Is it offensive to you, to appeal to a wider audience?
    A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said:
    "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

"That will teach you," said an old man who had followed them:

Moral of Aesops Fable: Please all, and you will please none
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    How does that apply here, given the popularity of LoL?
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    How does that apply here, given the popularity of LoL?
    The obvious response is a cheap swipe at LoL's playerbase. And yeah, they're mostly shitters.

Personally, as a player of LoL, I'm a fan of yelling at people who own donkeys. Keeps the mind supple.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The obvious response is a cheap swipe at LoL's playerbase. And yeah, they're mostly shitters.
    That's a pretty broad stroke to brush. More people play the game every month than live in the UK.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

Network Hub
    Salon just published an interesting article on literary elitism. Most of it translates well enough to the world of games:

But I think that Catton underplays the degree to which our relationship to any given book is also a relationship to its reputation — which is just another way of saying a relationship to everyone else’s relationship to the book. We know it was well-reviewed, that our smart friends praise it, that it won a prize. But let’s say this celebrated book really, really doesn’t work for us. Perhaps we simply shrug our shoulders and move on because life is short and there’s so much to read and so much joy to be had from reading other books. But if we happen to be less sure of ourselves, less comfortable with the stubborn vagaries of taste and a lot more defensive about our own judgments, we might feel compelled to protest that all the acclaim heaped on this alleged masterpiece is a hoax — and, for that matter, so is the whole rotten system it came out of.
    Catton's piece (which prompted the Salon article) is worth reading too:

The reader who is outraged by being “forced” to look up an unfamiliar word — characterising the writer as a tyrant, a torturer — is a consumer outraged by inconvenience and false advertising. Advertising relies on the fiction that the personal happiness of the consumer is valued above all other things; we are reassured in every way imaginable that we, the customers, are always right.
    [....]
    Consumerism, requiring its products to be both endlessly desirable and endlessly disposable, cannot make sense of art, which is neither.
    Last edited by Lethe; 07-02-2014 at 09:39 PM.