Obscure Node

Deus Ex:HR on PC or Xbox 360?

Hi all.

Perhaps there's already a thread for this but as I'm insanely careful not to unveil any spoilers I don't even dare doing a search here in order to find out.

Anyhoo, the title says it all.

My PC is at least 5 years old and struggle with a lot of modern titles so as of lately I've more and more used the 360 in order to play newer games.

I'm not exepcting anyone to own both formats but if you could help me out by pointing out the pros and cons of whatever version you own I'll just add them up on my own.

Thanks!

I don't think there are any pros regarding the Xbox 360 version besides that it will run guaranteed. Human Revolution is not a particularly demanding title, as far as I can tell. Besides from that, it's a first-person game and so it controls a lot better with mouse and keyboard. Also, there might be mods for the PC version in the future.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

You'd get a manual with the Xbox 360 version, probably a better quality case too. And it isn't tied to Steam which allows you to re-sell it if you don't like it.

On the other side of the coin the X360 version will have no mods like the one covered by RPS just now, and of course it's more expensive off the bat.
    Last edited by Rii; 05-09-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Human Revolution is not a particularly demanding title, as far as I can tell. Besides from that, it's a first-person game and so it controls a lot better with mouse and keyboard.
    Well, I don't mind playing FPS on a pad so that's not an actual issue.

What other games do you play on your PC, just so that I can gauge what your definition of "demanding" is?

I have serious doubt that they'll be much pro flying around here for 360.

So, saying that I remember Tom Francis on the PC Gamer podcast talking about DEHR review code he played with on 360 and said that cover was a bit dodgy on 360 but fine on PC.

You should take this with a massive bucket of salt of course though. PCGamer talking about 360 controls on preview/review game code...

This has probably been the least helpful post of all time :)

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanybabeS View Post
    I have serious doubt that they'll be much pro flying around here for 360.
    I specifically choose RPS as I know that despite this being a PC only site there are numerous console owners here as well.

Yes, a majority will most likely be playing the PC version but I'm guessing that there are those like me who love reading RPS not because it's PC only but because of the writers and the community.

If I have to I'll head on over to Eurogamer but I prefer the RPS community (which sort of reminds me of the EG community 10 years ago).

I'd expect the PC version to have tighter controls, and on a modern, up to date rig, potentially look better.

However, as you said your rig was a tad old? For visuals, the console would most likely win out.

Modding and the like is only possible on the PC, and there was that neat Debug mode just released for messing about; but if you have a budget, you could always rent it for Console, finish it(Could do it in a week, maybe?) and then return it; or just buy and trade back in and buy it for PC when it's cheaper or on sale?

Since pretty much anything a 360 can do, a PC can do too, I don't think there is a major pro for the 360 except trading it back in/renting it. I -think- the 360 version is slightly less visually pleasing than a PC title on full and it might lag at a few points? Unsure, just guessing at that from experince.

Flip a coin if you really can't decide; one reality will get the game for PC, one for console!

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    I kinda regret buying it for PC not xbox because I can't have as many fancy options switched on as I think I should be able to get away, and I'm still getting black screen crashes randomly when cutscenes are supposed to be playing.

So make of that what you will. Is there a PC demo yet? 'Cause I'd give that a shot before purchasing - no point buying it, activating it on Steam and then finding out that you can't even run it.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    If you're not interested in mods, and your PC's a little on the old side, I'd say the console versions would make more sense. You'll only frustrate yourself if it doesn't run well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    You’re on the PC gaming site; of course we’re going to tell you the PC version is better. The fact that it actually is, is entirely coincidental.

I’m in the same boat as you. My five year old computer (two grand, top of the line) can barely run modern AAA titles on the lowest settings, sometimes not even that. I advise you to consider getting a new one, or else buy your games for consoles from now on.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for all the replies. I won't be getting a new computer just for one game (and can't afford an upgrade anyhow) so this one will be on the XBOX.

When I need to play Witcher 2 and Skyrim I'll get a new PC though.