Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I tried a reinstall of hexxit - it bought me about 5 minutes of playtime then froze solid as before. Any other suggestions from the wise sages?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    From what I heared Hexxit has some small memory issues, that could be a reason.

have you guys tried increasing the amount of RAM allocated to minecraft? you can allocate more using the settings cogwheel in the top left of the launcher (i think). If you have 8GB RAM total I would say max 4GB could be allocated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fttt, Hexxit.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/d...laypack.113171

Is a serious modpack. ~80 mods.
    (Although that version is out of date. Will try and bring it up to 3.6 tonight or so (there's a non-technic-launcher version, as technic launcher is/was fucking up sound.)

That's great and all but the place that hosts this only accepts certain mods and modpacks. If it's not on the list I can't add it to the server.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    The ram thing is the first idea I suggested to Nick. Ive personally got *gb ram, and only use 2 for MC and it works fine.

Nick I believe has about 4, and allocated 1 or 2, but it still was causing him issues.

Oddly, I dont remember him having issues before he started using sphax, however I could be wrong on that.

There is a lot of shit in the mod, and coupled with the fact that MC on its own had a load of memory issues... well, idk.

Only other difference between me and nick is that im running an i7 and he an i5, though that really shouldnt make all the odds for MC, should it.

Honestly though, ive no idea why. What are your system specs Grible?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    1 or 2 GB for Minecraft does sound very little to me, though I'm unsure of MC's memory footprint characteristics in general.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Point is that im running it fine with only 2gb allocated, just fine.

Shouldnt really be a problem for Nick either, though I dont think he has much more ram to allocate without the rest of his pc dying.

My guess is that it's to do with the size of Hexxit? No problems with Tekkit or Vanilla whatsoever. Hexxit was actually fine until I made it up to that palace building thingy, it was after that when it went to hell. RAM allocation didn't make a difference, neither did use of texture pack.

Shame really, on the face of it Hexxit looks pretty cool.

No probs with vanilla MC, I'm an i5 with 8GB of memory installed (64bit system) nothing "allocated" although I might try that tonight.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Make sure you have Java 64 bit installed (not the 32 bit version Sun default you too). Solves a lot of minecraft problems.

Also, linking my own private modpack was done in jest, rather than seriousness - although I do have to frown at a MC host who doesn't give you FTP access.

You can camp the server at Rezzed if I make it out with mah cocktailbot.

But only if you appear physically ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I hate you folks. I'm addicted now. Just found a pirate cove. It's amazing.

Loving playing this again, and I've barely started. I have a second account that I am happy to let a dear Giraffe make use of if needed.

Anyone having problems, check you're running 64 bit java and not 32 bit, and you might also look into increasing your PermGen size. I use 512 for Resonant Rise but that's ~180 mods, the default is 64M, 128 should be plenty for Hexxit. Add -XX:MaxPermSize=128m on your java parameters, some launchers have this as an option to make life a bit easier.

I had to install 64 bit Java to get it to run without locking up, failt painless process and has been running fine since.

Not sure if related, but I was trying to allocate more RAM to minecraft, but only had the option to give it 1G. After updating to 64 bit I could allocate any amount, allocated 4G and I was off!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Give me a shout when it comes to renewal - I'd happily help out. Might be an idea at the time to hunt around a bit at the time for somewhere more reliable.

Yeah been a bit of a bugger this evening, hasn't it? I don't want to sound like an ungrateful shite to Dewi, I'm loving getting back in to MC, it would be ace to have a more reliable set up.

Happy to chip in for hosting/upgrade =) I've only limited experience of breaking multiplay servers in the past, usually through soaking up all the RAM. Are there memory spikes around the time we're lagging/crashing? there any way we can just bump the RAM on the multiplay server and shower Dewi in money?

Next renewal isn't until 02/04/2014.

Looked at the costs of bumping the memory, for 20 players at 1GB RAM (current setup) it's £40 for 3 months. Double the RAM and it jumps to £90. If you want 4GB it's £180.

For the current setup I don't really expect anyone to chip in, it's cheap enough for me to handle quite happily, but if we want more RAM or users then there is no way I can field that one on my lonesome.

So it's up to you guys. You can donate to my ClanPay in the link in my signature below, just don't go overboard with it. Communicate with each other (and me) how much you're donating so we don't go silly over budget.

Let me know if you all do want more memory before you donate, and we can work out specifics from there (it's not easy to get the money back to you if we need refunds etc).

Oh and ignore the mumble comms on the ClanPay thing. For whatever reason I can't remove servers. That's my own private mumble I reserve for a few old friends.
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

Can you jack the RAM mid-subscription? Happy to sub up to £10/month (or a £30 lump sum) for the three months.