Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 305
  1. #41
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,040
    Certainly can, but I'd wait to see if others want to and can afford to do this. I don't think we need anymore concurrent users at the moment, looking t the stats we haven't had more than 8 concurrent. I can see that we are hammering the RAM though with it essentially being at max capacity 90% of the time.

    I'm also going to speak to Roranor about different user levels of authority in light of last nights item escapades. I could work this into donations so if you are a "subscriber" you get additional privs etc.

    I don't know if it'd be worth us all getting together to decide what we want out of the server collectively and stuff as well as trying to arrange some adventure maps from time to time (quite like the idea of a PVP map like Race for wool, or if there are enough, The Hunger Games). Also game modes, mod packs etc. Would people like to discuss this one night in the next week or so?

    I have also been umming and arring about making a personal server at home for games like this and ARMA, but money issues have gotten in the way, as well as ensuring a stable net connection (120Mbps down, but only 10Mbps up? need to see what the ISP can do for me!). I am still looking to do this, but given I have a new job starting soon (2 weeks) I'm holding off until things have settled there, still looking into it, just small steps at the moment.
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

    Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

  2. #42
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,040
    In fact, just looking at the whitelist, and knowing that there are a few people that play ARMA that are not on there...

    If everyone of those people donated just a fiver a month we could rent a full deicated server that could cover this, plus perhaps another kind of minecraft server (vanilla, tekkit, voltz etc) ARMA, voice comms, any forums etc all with full control rather than being limited by various providers. That is almost certainly a pipe dream though.
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

    Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

  3. #43
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,174
    I, too would be willing to throw in something similar to stoopid.
    For me the main issues we have just now are
    1) Chunk generation and the lag is produces.
    2) General server instability and down time.

    I'd say 1) can be solved with more RAM whilst 2) would need another provider I'm guessing.

    Also, like Dewi I'm tempted to plunge on my own server (and have similar speeds to what Dewi has just now although about 15 Mbps up).

  4. #44
    Network Hub stoopiduk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    452
    I'll support whatever the community goes for, I'd like to see the current Hexxit world carry on as our main, but the opportunity to play some other map types every now and then would be great.

    I've a friend who used nitrous networks to host some servers a while back and they ran pretty damn smoothly, but I know there are a lot of options out there. Should be on tonight and will encourage people to come and find this thread.

  5. #45
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    I have also been umming and arring about making a personal server at home for games like this and ARMA, but money issues have gotten in the way, as well as ensuring a stable net connection (120Mbps down, but only 10Mbps up? need to see what the ISP can do for me!). I am still looking to do this, but given I have a new job starting soon (2 weeks) I'm holding off until things have settled there, still looking into it, just small steps at the moment.
    Don't go down the home server route for modded minecraft.
    We tried that with someone who had the 80 meg (down of course) fibre and it wasn't up to the job.

    Also, if you're interested in servers for various games, you should perhaps talk to Nulkigan first. After all, that's what the yacht fund etc was all about.

  6. #46
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,082
    I think the 'episode' from last night in terms of item issues was a one off to be perfectly honest, considering its a sub set of antoher sub set of people who actually play this, we can almost certainly avoid stuff like that.

    If something like this does happen again, given the small number of people playing its usually easy to narrow it down, especially when since it would only be somebody new to the community, and possibly of a certain age range.

    Most of us are mature enough to not do that to each other.

    Im not sure that any rank system is even required considering this, but its entirely up to you if you want to offer perks for "subs" if you will. Personally im liking the fact that everybody is playing without any temptation.

    If anything, it would be cool to have somebody else able to access the CP so that restarts/other issues dont come down to "lets pester roranor or dewi".

    Last note: Unfortunately wont be able to chip in with costs, but kudos to those who can.

  7. #47
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,040
    Good shout Cmaster, I'll drop him a line if he logs on tongiht
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

    Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

  8. #48
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,494
    Let me know when you have something concrete in place and I'll throw some money your way. Fiver or so a month is more than enough to have a server that works and doesn't get upset when I want to explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.



  9. #49
    Activated Node Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Emsworth, UK
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I, too would be willing to throw in something similar to stoopid.
    For me the main issues we have just now are
    1) Chunk generation and the lag is produces.
    2) General server instability and down time.

    I'd say 1) can be solved with more RAM whilst 2) would need another provider I'm guessing.

    Also, like Dewi I'm tempted to plunge on my own server (and have similar speeds to what Dewi has just now although about 15 Mbps up).
    There are better ways to solve 1), though you do need to be running Bukkit. If you're starting to look at permissions etc this is really something you want to do anyway. These days MCPC+ makes it trivial to switch from a forge-based server to a MCPC (i.e. forge + bukkit) server.

    Once you're running MCPC+, you can use the worldborder plugin to define a maximum radius to the world, and then use the "fill" command to generate the lot in one go. Then you remove the border (unless you want to keep it) and you're good to go. Obviously you'd want to do this when there's nobody on, and it will use up a good chunk of diskspace, but it means you no longer have any chunk-generation overhead at all when people are playing.

    FWIW I recommend the following plugins, it may seem like a lot but they are trivial to set up and it will save an enormous amount of heartache in the long run:


    • Essentials AntiBuild, GroupManager and Spawn modules gives you the basis for a strong but simple permissions system.
    • CoreProtect lets you easily roll back activity on the server on a per user, by area and/or by time basis.
    • WorldBorder for the above border-related shenanigans, also
    • WorldEdit for the occasional admin edit of the world, useful for e.g. importing structures
    • HeroChat for robust channel-based chat
    • Fishchecker and MCBans are less relevant on a whitelisted server, but can still be useful. Essentially these are ban management tools which communicate globally.
    • MineBackup for intelligent automated backups.
    • ForgePerms to enable GroupManager permissions for all your Forge mods
    • Vault is a permissions API, you'll want this too.
    • Finally dynmap is awesome (dynamically updated web-based map - here is the one for the little server my wife and I play on) but it absolutely devours server resources, especially memory.


    I imagine this probably sounds a bit overwhelming/overkill front loaded like this, but it's actually really easy to get set up and is totally worth your time.
    Last edited by Kal; 17-02-2014 at 08:35 PM.

  10. #50
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    stuff
    This is great and all Kal, but unless you are running a dedicated server, generally you have set mod packs to use and that's it. So we have the Hexxit Pack etc which does not contain bukkit et al.

    If we get a dedicated server at some point this will be useful, for the meantime though, not so much
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

    Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

  11. #51
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,040
    I may have a solution to all of our game server needs. Will cost approx £50 a month so cannot foot this on my own so will need monthly donations of around a fiver. For that we get this, we can have either 240GB of SSD space or 4TB of HDD space.

    There is some overhead, such as installation (its like £12 so not too worried about that) but there may also be costs associated with dedicated server software (for instance, I believe ARMA 3 requires you to have a steam account with the game purchased, and you cannot use your own and play on your own account at the same time).

    If people are interested and are able to donate something each month let me know here. Fill this out even if you can't donate but want to play!

    The server will host initially the MC Hexxit server and an ARMA 3 server. We can have it host other pick-up games and the like as well once this is set up, as well as other future endeavours, resources permitting.

    This will give us full control over any and all mods, maps game versions etc and should be a hell of a lot more useful than rented game specific servers.

    I am going to set a deadline of the 28th Feb for people to let me know if this is something that they are interested in and can donate to. It will be a commitment, but it should be good for all of us!
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

    Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

  12. #52
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,174
    I assume we'd therefore be able to run a MC specific OS in a VM?

  13. #53
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,040
    Whatever you want Cephas. It is the renting of a box in a collocation centre essentially
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

    Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

  14. #54
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,174
    Sweet! Any idea on other specs?
    If we can setup some sort of VPN that'd be a big thing for me - and I'd happily put in a bit more.

    Edit: I see the specs are on the site...
    Last edited by Cephas; 18-02-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Removing redundant question

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,040
    There will be a VPN and a control panel and a few specific individuals will have access. I don't want to give blanket access as things could get messy. This will all be determined at a later date, first we need to make sure we have funding!
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

    Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

  16. #56
    Activated Node Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Emsworth, UK
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    This is great and all Kal, but unless you are running a dedicated server, generally you have set mod packs to use and that's it. So we have the Hexxit Pack etc which does not contain bukkit et al.

    If we get a dedicated server at some point this will be useful, for the meantime though, not so much
    That's simply not true. In the context of Minecraft, you are already running a "dedicated server", and just because you are basing your setup on Hexxit it certainly doesn't mean you can't add to it or change/remove things! That's part of the beauty of Minecraft. "Converting" a Hexxit installation to use Bukkit is as easy as adding one extra jarfile to your minecraft folder, and launching that instead of the forge .jar, that's all there is to it.

    To put things in context, my own Minecraft server is on a VM hosted by Creeperhost and is quite cheerfully running Resonant Rise (a pack with ~180 mods), all the bukkit plugins I listed above, Dynmap (which as mentioned doubles your memory usage on it's own), and one or two other bits and pieces, at a grand old cost of £15 a month. I rarely have more than 5 people on at once, but I've peaked at 12 and the server didn't so much as creak. The server you're looking at at SYS is massively overspecced for what you want to do - 32gb of RAM is more than enough for a 500 user server, especially on a less complex pack like Hexxit. Just take a look around the Minecraft forums, the rule of thumb is 10-15 players per gb.

    Feel free to ignore my advice Dewi, but I've been running Minecraft servers in a variety of configurations for nearly 4 years now, I really do know whereof I speak

  17. #57
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,174
    I think with Multiplay you don't get much option outside what they have listed. Creeperhost actually looks really for what we want...

  18. #58
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    That's simply not true. In the context of Minecraft, you are already running a "dedicated server", and just because you are basing your setup on Hexxit it certainly doesn't mean you can't add to it or change/remove things! That's part of the beauty of Minecraft. "Converting" a Hexxit installation to use Bukkit is as easy as adding one extra jarfile to your minecraft folder, and launching that instead of the forge .jar, that's all there is to it.

    To put things in context, my own Minecraft server is on a VM hosted by Creeperhost and is quite cheerfully running Resonant Rise (a pack with ~180 mods), all the bukkit plugins I listed above, Dynmap (which as mentioned doubles your memory usage on it's own), and one or two other bits and pieces, at a grand old cost of £15 a month. I rarely have more than 5 people on at once, but I've peaked at 12 and the server didn't so much as creak. The server you're looking at at SYS is massively overspecced for what you want to do - 32gb of RAM is more than enough for a 500 user server, especially on a less complex pack like Hexxit. Just take a look around the Minecraft forums, the rule of thumb is 10-15 players per gb.

    Feel free to ignore my advice Dewi, but I've been running Minecraft servers in a variety of configurations for nearly 4 years now, I really do know whereof I speak

    Yeah and you're right. The probelm is with Multiplay and their interface being restrictive. You CANNOT upload your own mods, or any mods to their server. you can add specific mod packs like hexxit, volts etc, but these cannot be customised. I understand the premise of modding your MC server but if the tools are not present to do it through the host of the server it cannot be done.

    Also that server will not only host MC, I have mentioned hosting ARMA 3 at first and moving to hosting Rust and any other pick up games people want to play as well. I understand that it is far too much a simple MC server. If it was just MC i'd just host it downstairs in my living room like I have done before.

    To summarise: I am looking to host other things than MC, things a lot more demanding. I am also aware how to add bukkit to an MC server but you are not proivded the ability to do so on multiplay other than using their predefined mod packs and selecting these packs from a list, these packs cannot be edited
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

    Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

  19. #59
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    Yeah and you're right. The probelm is with Multiplay and their interface being restrictive.
    Wait, don't you get FTP access? Web interfaces really are a pain in the backside which is why FTP is so useful. I figured somewhere major like Multiplay would give you something as basic as FTP.

  20. #60
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    I may have a solution to all of our game server needs. Will cost approx £50 a month so cannot foot this on my own so will need monthly donations of around a fiver.
    ...
    I am going to set a deadline of the 28th Feb for people to let me know if this is something that they are interested in and can donate to. It will be a commitment, but it should be good for all of us!
    To get this discussion back sort of off topic: I can certainly donate a fiver a month to get a dedicated server for the gang. Sign me up!
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •