Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    I, too, built a PC around the same budget a few months ago, and as Sandy Bridge was right in the middle of being recalled, I went with the processor you're considering (it also helped that it was cheaper because I was on a tight budget). I've had no complaints, and I've been able to run everything on the highest settings without an issue. I've actually slightly undervolted it to keep temps down, and things still run smoothly (and cool).

Also, I really haven't been impressed by the NZXT cases, fwiw. I would recommend the Antec 300. There just isn't a better case out there at that price point.

Activated Node
    /facepalm @ people saying "Get intel, AMD sucks". If you don't know what you are talking about, especially in the world of PC, please keep quiet. And if you ask why, then the reason is simple.

No matter what you choose today, Intel or AMD, ATI or Nvidia, both work the same way as other, both can run your games at the highest details and so on.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Draakon View Post
    /facepalm @ people saying "Get intel, AMD sucks". If you don't know what you are talking about, especially in the world of PC, please keep quiet. And if you ask why, then the reason is simple.

No matter what you choose today, Intel or AMD, ATI or Nvidia, both work the same way as other, both can run your games at the highest details and so on.
    Yes because all brands and components are the same put anything in and it'll run at the highest settings and so on.... What complete utter tosh. When buying a car do you look to see if they've all got engines then buy which ever because effectively they do all the same thing?

Its not just about buying for today; when someone invests that kind of money on a system they want to get value for money and a future proof purchase.

Its fairly simple with even the slightest investigation on google AMDs current cpu line up with dated architecture is some way behind Intel it may well change with Bulldozer but thats completely irrelevent as its a mid budget build.

Activated Node
    What you just described is user error. Ever since I got my first computer, I have found out that either Intel or AMD, they both do the job as well as the other. Don't be naive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I once bought a computer at Lidl, and it worked just fine.

*coughs* Sorry.

I like ComradePenguin's build. I'll see what's out by December when I'll replace my old machine.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    What you just described is user error. Ever since I got my first computer, I have found out that either Intel or AMD, they both do the job as well as the other. Don't be naive.
    Only some do it better than others.

Activated Node
    They both do the same good job as the other.

Obscure Node
    No. Depends on the brand and model.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

Activated Node
    You seriously believe in benchmarks? /sigh.

Don't every take benchmarks into consideration, especially when building a PC. All systems are different, of course they will have different results. But they still do the job as good as the other and basing your PC build off from a benchmark is......stupid.

Obscure Node
    You seriously believe in benchmarks? /sigh.

Don't every take benchmarks into consideration, especially when building a PC. All systems are different, of course they will have different results. But they still do the job as good as the other and basing your PC build off from a benchmark is......stupid.
    Who ever said anything about building a pc from a benchmark, and yes i do believe in benchmarks, Its certainly a lot more scientific than your blind belief of put anything in and it'll everything fine at the highest settings (which is total rubbish i might add). Intels sandybridge line is better than anything AMD have until bulldozer, thats fact.

Maybe some of AMDs newer cpus do a reasonable job now of keeping up with SB but the facts are they are inferior at the moment and thats mainly due to AMDs aging achitecture.

I'll put this down to trolling, ignorance or naivety. Either that or you've purchased an AMD cpu recently and your trying to justify it.

Thats the last i've got to say on the subject so enjoy your hokum replies but I'll leave you to it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I don't have any good advice because I don't know anything about computers, but I did want to come here and make a joke about how "advice on my build so far" sounds like something you would ask when rolling a character for an RPG, and then I thought what if there was an RPG where your character was a computer that had to order new parts for itself in order to be able to run better games. But I didn't know how to make that joke exactly so I just thought I would come here and tell you about everything that you have wrought.

Edit: also,

When buying a car do you look to see if they've all got engines then buy which ever because effectively they do all the same thing?
    I don't...I don't know what kind of engine is in my car. I think it's grey? (You might hope this is a joke, but hope meet disappointment every day).
    Last edited by Berzee; 04-10-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    they are loosing in benchmark but cause they are more expensive. for a buck amd beats intel.
    amd 965 £93.99 vs i3 2100 £92.66
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

amd 965 = 4288 and i3 = 3864

therefore for that price suggesting intel is unreasonable imo
    sure, if you're lookiong at encoding etc benches then a 965 is a fair choice, but an i3 2100 is better in games than an 1100T, let alone a 965BE, check anandtech.com/bench and see for yourself

I'm all for Comrade penguin's build but for PSUs in that price range I wouldn't be looking at OCZ unless there was no other option, and there are plenty others - an Antec Earthwatt, Seasonic amongst others, heck, and even the be quiet! 530W are more efficient and review for a higher build quality than the Xstream series

oh and @Draakon, I just picked up a Dell with an HD 5450, XII 260 and 2GB RAM for £550 but it don't play the BF3 beta at anything but lowest settings, whats with that ??? must be optimised liek a panda or some shizz right?

Activated Node
    @Gravy:

I am not posting this because I just bought a AMD CPU (which I did recently BTW), but the common false misconception that Intel/Nvidia is always better compared to AMD/ATI. Having worked on both platforms for 8 years now (with very different results, tasks and so on) I can tell from my own experince the following true fact:

AMD CPU or Intel CPU, it does not matter. Both get the job done as good as the other. If you like to say otherwise, ask yourself the following questions:
    Can you play the latest games on high detail without any problems?
    Can you play videos or make them?
    Can you use archive applications without a problem?
    Can you overclock?
    Can you multi-thread?
    and so on.

Obviously, anyone who has used any form of AMD CPU can answer all these questions with a "Yes" answer.
    I don't know if you are a Intel fanboy, a person paid to say "Intel rocks, AMD sux" or a maybe even a troll, but from your text, I can read somekind of hatred towards AMD.

A good person shouldn't force down anothers opinon stating it sucks. A good IT person recommends a user to choose whatever products he prefers, stating before hand the pros and cons of each product.
    In the case of AMD vs Intel, its "cheaper, but with a loss of 5% of FPS" vs "expensive, but with a gain of 5% FPS". Stating that one is better at a given task is false.

Beliving in benchmarks is bad, due to each person having a different setup. Even if you the exacly same setup hardware wise, the probability of using same settings and such software level is very low.
    Also, basing your purchases off a benchmark also has 2 other things you are making a mistake at:
    1) You are looking at a given persons performance. You are going to have different performance.
    2) Different architectures of CPU as well as different motherboards, sockets and so on.
    I could go on about it, but I hope you get my picture.

And about the architecture, there is a old saying: Why fix it when it ain't broken? This statment easly applies to AMD.

Obscure Node
    PC Gaming is great but make sure to download the necessary antivirus software to keep your system safe. The last thing you need is to get your C hacked
    http://www.filetransfersecurity.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by designsn28 View Post
    PC Gaming is great but make sure to download the necessary antivirus software to keep your system safe. The last thing you need is to get your C hacked
    http://www.filetransfersecurity.com
    Of course, if you need an antivirus, is already too late...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Of course, if you need an antivirus, is already too late...
    Also, I would say that commercial games are less likely to pose a virus threat than a lot of other software. Much less of a threat than say a hyperlink tenuously posted on a 3 year old thread...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsonite View Post
    Also, I would say that commercial games are less likely to pose a virus threat than a lot of other software. Much less of a threat than say a hyperlink tenuously posted on a 3 year old thread...
    How the hell didn't I notice that? Seriously, sometimes I embarrass myself...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Well don't worry - it's Friday so I am sure many other people will embarrass themselves later on (after a trip to the pub) :)

Quote Originally Posted by kaboom
    Hi i don't know a thing about pc's. I need help, what's a good one for FPS army games. My budget just depends what i could find, if i could find a better pc to game then the one i have now for 300 rather then 500 then that'll do. Im just really looking to spend more then 700 dollars. My current pc is listed below. Are Alienwares good?

Acer Aspire AM3910-U4012

General Spec

ProcessorIntel Core i3-550 3.20GHzProcessor Main Features64 bit Dual Core ProcessorCache Per Processor4MB L3 CacheMemory6GB DDR3 1333MHzHard Drive1TB SATAGraphicsIntegrated Intel HD Graphics.

This was sent to me in a PM. anyone got good suggestions?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

This looks the same as this post: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...337#post532337

Some suggestions on there already :)