Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130 LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2595
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    We have votes from everyone besides from Great Britain, Spain, and Portugal. So keep reminding them until they vote I guess. :P
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Voting now!
    ARMA, Planetside 2 - Lynche (The 'e' is silent)
    Steam, PS3, Minecraft - Safilpope

Obscure Node
    Done voting as well. Also just took a look at the maps. At least the AI kept Angola

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Calamity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammhueter View Post
    Done voting as well. Also just took a look at the maps. At least the AI kept Angola
    Well in the end I gave you away to Ayutthaya as a vassal so "Keeping" is a strong word.
    God Overlord of the Glorious Zapotec and Dai Viet Empires & all-round Games and Stratagy Wizard.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Well in the end I gave you away to Ayutthaya as a vassal so "Keeping" is a strong word.
    In fairness, the Portuguese legacy lives on. Portuguese Australia survived and later gained back most of its territory (through some extraordinarily bad timing on my part). In fact, one Portuguese island (Fiji?) jumped away from my control and joined the Free Portuguese Australians .

I had a massive Civil War at the same time as a bad Australian uprising (and some religious rebels popped up too) and the AI in Central Thai Australia never sieged back completely empty rebel provinces. That's what pissed me off about the whole thing. It wasn't that the Australians won, I defeated their forces before I sailed home to fight the uprising. Australia was pretty peaceful when the provinces went back to the Portugese; it's just that the AI never took any territory back and lost me my endgame goal of Australian hegemony.

Next game, I'm staying the hell away from Colonial Nations. Moronic little parasite states, incapable of functioning on their own, sapping your strength in exchange for bugger all in return.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Tell that to Portugal in the Monday-game! Although Calamity being gone two sessions and being in war for 15-20 years has put it in a somewhat chaotic state now.

Took another look over my votes.

Also, just wondering, who would be interested in starting up another game?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I'm interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    First we would need to hunt down laldy and get him to vote.
    Steam: Dominicus

I'd be up for a new game.
    Steam: Bynn

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Also, just wondering, who would be interested in starting up another game?
    I've been thinking about starting a new thread for a new game (new thread means less clutter, but that might not actually be necessary), but wanted to let some weeks pass for people to rest a bit after last game. But maybe it's time to start planning for the new game now?
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

I would definitely start a new thread per game!

I would like to join up this game also, but yeah.... new game, new thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Calamity's Avatar
    New game, new thread. If only for the new people. (Don't forget the rules on picking nations depending on standings for old ones). Also for me it would take a few weeks before I can join. It may be summer holidays but I think for the coming three session I can't commit to the monday game even and I might have to quit that entirely depending on the schedule.

Looking forward to a game with more people though. I need a weak nation and little space to expand into else you know "stuff" happens. Will start looking at weak nations though.
    God Overlord of the Glorious Zapotec and Dai Viet Empires & all-round Games and Stratagy Wizard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    So I assume for the next game the choice of nations will be as followed:

- everyone ranked 6 and higher
    - ranked 1-5
    - new people

Also, we contineu with the idea of the rule that you do not pick the same tech level? Just to spread people out a bit.
    Steam: Dominicus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser "the Awesome as Fuck" Hoc View Post
    The five people with highest modified scores are decreed awesome as fuck and gets to pick nations first for the next multiplayer game (in order of highest score). However, they have an extended banned list including (in addition to the ones above): Burgundy, Denmark, Austria, Ottomans, Ming, Portugal, the Mamluks, and the Timurids.
    Reading through the victory conditions in the first post, the order will be Cal, Hoc, Pier, Cei, and Dom. They are the only one with the extended ban list. After that, it's mostly first come first serve (but as always, be excellent and any disputes over countries can be solved by knife fights in PS2).

I like the idea of not letting people pick the same tech level. If we want to nerf the people who "won" we could also add a rule that they can't play a western nation (even though I'm fairly certain they won't take super-strong nations).

Also, I will start the new thread later today, so keep your eyes peeled.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Netherlands - The plan, the road, the legend

I've been meaning to write this for a while, but haven't really felt like because I know how long it will be. But anyways, I want to write a bit about my original plan with Burgundy, what choices I made during the game, what strategies I had, and so forth. Basically, I want to write a bit about how I played the game. So fair warning for all, this WILL be a wall of text. I'll try to keep it in small paragraphs, but it will probably still be a pretty heavy read.

Anyway, starting with my nation. I picked Burgundy for two reasons. One was that France was my neighbor, and AI France is a beast if given the chance to expand. They are probably the strongest country in the world in the start, and then they just keep on expanding. I liked the idea to have France next to me, to make sure I wasn't snowballing too much in the beginning (especially since I knew we had some players who hadn't really played EU4 before). The other reason, was because I wanted the French land. Some of the best provinces in the world is in that area, and I knew that if I could beat France and take land from them, I would be able to build a very strong base for my future empire.

So the game started, and the first thing I did was make friends. Longlasting alliances with then Scotland and Aragon. I knew I would need their help versus France (and to a lesser extent England), and I knew that they had a lot to gain from an alliance with me. In fact, I even made sure that they got the better deal from most peace deals. In a very literal sense, I was feeding my allies, making sure they grew stronger and that our relationships were of mutual gain (more on this below). And with my new friends, we were able to beat France in the first, make-or-break war. Had we lost, AI France would have rolled over my remaining troops, so we had to win the first war to make France weaker and more manageable. This was done through the combined forces of Burgundy and Aragon, plus a whole lot of mercs (paid from the spoils of war I gained from England with a couple of small armies running around their countryside looting in a war with Scotland).

After the first victories against France, I worked on slowly taking land from them, while making sure my AE didn't get out of hand. I also spent a lot of time negotiation with the HRE and Austria, making a deal to protect our mutual borders. This so I would have to worry about an HRE attack on my eastern flank when I was busy with France. I also started communicating a bit with other players in Europe. Basically setting the foundation for what would become the pretty useless Greater Broalition.

Time went, and things were progressing smoothly, when war suddenly was declared on my ally Aragon by Austria, who was also my ally, due to their expansion on the Italian peninsula. It wasn't a good situation for anyone, but I decided to stick by my first, and defending, ally and joined the war on the Aragonese side. I wanted to keep Aragon strong, to have that proper ally by my back. And I knew that if I was there for Aragon when the situation was bad, they'd do the same for me. And the situation was definitely bad, but I managed to keep the Austrian armies at bay every time they came into my land, and I managed to keep my manpower up by using mercs. It was a rough one, but we managed to secure a proper win in the end, and Austria backed down (the player, Wolfenswan, didn't have time to keep on playing on thursdays).

With no player controlling Austria, my deal with the HRE were null and void, and I had taken more than half of the French land at this point. So I, among other, went after Austria, who had become the new big bully of Europe. This meant I was able to expand much further east than I had planned from the beginning, which was definitely a nice thing. I also made a deal with Aragon and Portugal in regards to the Castillian land, and us three attacked Castille and created new, nicer, borders. So with France very nearly gone I could turn my attention on other strong AI nations. I also think I formed the Netherlands around this time, which gave a nice boost to my income.

With the HRE emperor being controlled by an AI, I had an interesting opportunity. If I wanted to, I could attack electors, vassalize enough of them, and become emperor myself. But I was hesitant to do so, because I had a feeling the player nations in Europe would look to fondly on that. Thankfully, Calamity proposed a similar thing on the forums, where I'd cooperate with Germany (or Prussia I think it was at the time) and become emperor now, and then let Germany become emperor once I had enacted the right reforms. I talked with Germany, and the result was an alliance between our two countries, elector vassals for both me and Germany, and Germany as the emperor of the HRE.

Originally, the plan had been for us to change who was emperor after the previous one died, but for a couple of reasons Germany kept the throne. So I started to annex my vassals (I didn't need them) and went after the remaining Austrian/non-HRE land. All the while I was building buildings and improving the basis for my economy. With every session, I gained a bit more income, which meant I could build more buildings and gain even more money. Some people say that money doesn't matter after a while in the game. Personally, I think that the more money you have the better. Because more money equals more manpower, more ships, and more troops (by exceeding your forcelimit).

And then, the anti-Netherlands War happened. At the time I was preparing for going against Asia. I had taken land from the Mamluks and gotten a land connection to Japan (ex-Persia). I had also made sure that my land in the middle east had one province in the Europe area. My long term plan was to move my capital to that spot, and therefore not suffer any distant overseas penalties. But the plans changed, I got a warning from Japan which ensured peaceful relations between us and could bring most of my troops home. And then I started recruiting more troops. When war broke out, I was more than 50% over my force limit (more money is handy) and was able to match the first few countries that declared against me.

You all know what happened, some peaced out "early", I managed to win the last of the three wars, people were made, words were said, it all worked itself out in the end. The only thing I will say about it now is that I still don't really understand why most people decided to join the war. The only plausible outcomes where either "Netherlands win and then takes revenge and actually attack people" (at this point I had never attacked an European player nation), or "Netherlands lose, gets much weaker, and all of a sudden there's no Netherlands protecting people in Europe." Which would make player wars in Europe an actual possibility. Maybe people just didn't see it, but I still don't get it. Anyway, it's not important anymore, so let's just use it as a historical lesson or something.

After the war, land was retaken, land was taken, and the HRE was disbanded. Europe had divided into three blocks. The Broalition, Netherlands & allies, and the Asian horde from the east. Tensions between the first and last of those three were pretty bad, to say the least, and war was looming. I wasn't very trusting of the Broalition either, so when Japan approached me and wanted a combined attack against the Broalition, I agreed. I brought in the allies that were interested, and managed to run amok while the Broalition focused all of their attention on Asia. Which sucked for Asia, and not part of the plan, but such is life. I did what I could to minimize Asia's losses, and got quite a lot of land for me and my allies. It was an extremely eventful session, and at the end of it the three blocks had really turned into two blocks, and relations between us were good.

After this, nothing really happened. A lot of people dropped out, and it was mostly a matter of taking land from now AI countries. Not too much after, we decided to end the game. And here we are.

So, that's the summary of my game. I didn't go into details about my strategies (because that would take more than the giant wall I've already written), but I kept to a few principles at least.

- Always keep your deals.
    - Help your allies and make sure they know they can always rely on you.
    - Don't be needlessly aggressive and think long term.

If there's anything I would have done differently... it's actually to be more aggressive. People apparently saw me as a threat even when I didn't do anything against them, so I could have been less nice and pushed harder a few times. In retrospect, I should have gone colonial when I noticed people weren't doing it very much. But I wanted to make a military-based Netherlands instead of a colonial-trade one, so I decided against it. Probably a mistake, but such is life.

I've probably forgotten about a lot of things, so if you're curious about why I did/didn't do certain things, just ask.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

I'm still getting the "EUIV has stopped working..." message as soon as i click play on the launcher. Even after a patch, validating game cache, and a reinstall.

This is what actually stopped me from playing anymore in the first place, so i just gave up trying. I'd have hoped by now that Paradox might have noticed this and actually fixed this. Has anyone else from RPS had this problem?

I'm all over EU4Reddit and the Steam community forums for a fix/the reason why it happens but i've not found anything yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    I'm still getting the "EUIV has stopped working..." message as soon as i click play on the launcher. Even after a patch, validating game cache, and a reinstall.

This is what actually stopped me from playing anymore in the first place, so i just gave up trying. I'd have hoped by now that Paradox might have noticed this and actually fixed this. Has anyone else from RPS had this problem?

I'm all over EU4Reddit and the Steam community forums for a fix/the reason why it happens but i've not found anything yet.
    Can you start the game from the steam directory (i.e. starting the game directly without going through the launcher)?
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Yes. It says something about an incorrect field when you edit in the "-skiplauncher" part at the end of the 'target' field in properties...