Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hexcells help thread

Considering that Hexcells levels can be a bummer, let's try to nudge people along here.

Of course this thread is actually superfluous given the tendency of Hexcells' levels to be solvable on their own, but I have yet to try out the procedurally generated levels and am in the middle of Hexcells Infinite which at times seems so very very unsolvable.

We're all human. We get stuck. We have limited time.

So like John wrote here, post a screenshot of where you're stuck! If available, post your Hexcells Infinite seed string, so that others may try. In the worst case this'll help everyone through the classic levels, best case this'll be a market for good procedurally generated Hexcells levels. Have fun!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One of the weird things about Hexcells is that you can often start a puzzle - get stuck - quit - restart later - sail past the point you were previously stuck!

I'm guessing you miss stuff (by the time you're halfway through Plus you'll be doing this a LOT!) so it's good advice that if you're really, really stuck - quit and come back another time!

From World 4 in Plus onwards, puzzles often need a serious amount of 'look ahead' - it can be the case that the clues are no help in themselves and that it's a combination of clues plus some "and then that's impossible" things which solve the puzzle.

It's at that point I usually just give-up tho ;0

That was one of my biggest fears towards the end of Plus. however I found that the logical leaps never grow too huge. Still, I would also like this thread to quantify how far you really have to think.

But of course, you can solve them all yourself as far as I know. this thread is just a way to save precious time.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    That was one of my biggest fears towards the end of Plus. however I found that the logical leaps never grow too huge. Still, I would also like this thread to quantify how far you really have to think.

But of course, you can solve them all yourself as far as I know. this thread is just a way to save precious time.
    And with Infinite the Brick Wall of Difficulty descends on 3-1. Brutal. Still not entirely sure how to beat it without guessing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    And with Infinite the Brick Wall of Difficulty descends on 3-1. Brutal. Still not entirely sure how to beat it without guessing.
    Yesterday I got to world 5 of Infinite, so if you still need a hint in the evening let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    I did beat that level, but now that I look at it again, I can't fathom how I did it...

Oh wait, now I remember. If you look at all the patterns that are possible for the -2- cells you can use the row numbers to eliminate cells further down the line.

I'm now on 5-1 and similarly stuck. I can't see any clever trick that'll help me here.
    Last edited by LTK; 03-09-2014 at 10:24 AM.

I am at 5-1 as well. As a starting point, you can see that there is already one blue hex in the central line with the {5}. That means the first few hexes on the bottom are not blue.

going from that you can see that the two connected blue hexes near the {2} hav to be on either side of the column, and would also be connected to the 1 hex above, which lets you draw some conclusion for the distribution of the whole column, as seen in this image:

Unbenannt.jpg
    Last edited by elephant god; 03-09-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    I am at 5-1 as well. As a starting point, you can see that there is already one blue hex in the central line with the {5}. That means the first few hexes on the bottom are not blue.

going from that you can see that the two connected blue hexes near the {2} hav to be on either side of the column, and would also be connected to the 1 hex above, which lets you draw some conclusion for the distribution of the whole column, as seen in this image:
    In that screenshot, how did you decide that the top 2 of the central column could be uncovered and the hex 4 from bottom was blue?. I have exactly the same situation, but I can't find any logic to reason why the top one is the one that should be black (or the bottom one blue).

http://i.imgur.com/81LY5np.png

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman71 View Post
    In that screenshot, how did you decide that the top 2 of the central column could be uncovered and the hex 4 from bottom was blue?. I have exactly the same situation, but I can't find any logic to reason why the top one is the one that should be black (or the bottom one blue). http://i.imgur.com/81LY5np.png
    Brute force:
    http://imgur.com/qkW1YYt

Only possible combinations of hexes around that block. Common hexes are the top blue and the side blacks.

Logic:
    One of the side 1's is taken by the pair at the bottom, which means the 2 must be made up of a blue next to the other 1 and the hex directly above the blue. The hexes directly left/right of the side 1's must be black. Once you have the blue above the 2, you can get the top of the middle line from the 5.

Edit: On a closer look, I botched the fill of the top hex on the right image. I blame Paint.
    Last edited by Goateh; 03-09-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Great!. As always, when you don't find it out it looks easily stupid afterwards. And when you do find it out, I'm unsure if the feeling of acomplishment is compensation enough for the burned brain cells ;)

Thanks!

Yeah, I was in the same spot as rocketman but using the clue that only one of the 1s could refer to the blue cells belonging to the {2} got me through. Again, multiple clues lead to the answer! Yet every time I try to explain or read a reasoning behind a solution it always feels so much more complicated than in my head...

Oh man. 5-4, though, that feels like a marathon.
    Last edited by LTK; 03-09-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Network Hub
    Finally finished 5-6, I got stuck several times just looking at it. I'll leave the next one for tomorrow.

Obscure Node
    5-3

http://i.imgur.com/wmQiBce.png

It feels like I should be working on the left hand side, using the 8 and 3 rows (highlighted in the screenshot) and the two {5} hexes. There just doesn't seem to be enough information to pin it down (although of course there is, somewhere)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy75 View Post
    5-3

http://i.imgur.com/wmQiBce.png

It feels like I should be working on the left hand side, using the 8 and 3 rows (highlighted in the screenshot) and the two {5} hexes. There just doesn't seem to be enough information to pin it down (although of course there is, somewhere)
    You can work something out in the green box:
    http://i.imgur.com/NqI6zYe.png
    Hint:
    Think about where the blues on the {3} can possibly be.

Answer:
    One of the blue hexes for that 3 is going to be in the 1 column, which means the rest of the column is black

I have finally finished them all, but I made two mistakes on 6-5 and need to redo it to get the.. things for no mistakes. Some of those end puzzles are seriously hard going. The randomly generated ones aren't up to the same standards so far, but they're still fun.
    Last edited by Goateh; 04-09-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Obscure Node
    OMG it was staring me in the face :D

(always the way)

Just finished 5-6. I said a number of times that you don't need to think ahead too far for hexcells puzzles, but world 5 definitely changed that. Especially the smaller levels like 5-5 force you to really solve the whole thing in your head before you can uncover anything. And if you make a mistake it's really hard to try and ignore that information. You either get it right the first time or you can't really claim to have solved it at all.

Yeah, I find that a lot of solutions that I think are correct but when I check whether there's an alternate valid solution, it turns out what I thought was certain wasn't at all. I'm usually able to ignore extra information from a mistake but even doing so leaves me with a nudge in the right direction, since I know what not to think, so to say.

I got stumped again on 6-1, in this position:

I had to write out exactly what possible combinations of cells could be in the blue and red boxes before I saw that the blue box only had one valid solution, given the knowledge of what was in the red box and how many blue cells the columns contained. I stumbled on two invalid but correct solutions before which would have gotten me through but restarting and trying to do it right after that was far more difficult.

Also, is anyone else personifying the numbers and cells? -2-s have given me so much grief that the sight of them immediately makes me consider them fussy and prickly. {7}s and {8}s, on the other hand, are so much more friendly and welcoming.
    Last edited by LTK; 04-09-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Network Hub
    I'd agree that you need to consider more of the puzzle at once by Infinite, compared to the previous games, but I don't think you need to resort to brute forcing the combinations or solving half a puzzle to get somewhere most of the time. There was only one occasion I went through the combinations for more than a 2 hex split (50/50 if you guessed) and I suspect that I simply missed something.

Using the above example:
    http://i.imgur.com/5PTjVV7.png

(Note this is going to explain both columns at once, but you can solve individually)

The green lines indicate known ranges where a single hex is blue. Each -2- has a single blue hex on both sides, though you don't know which. For the purposes of the column, both hexes combined in the range are equal to 1 blue.

Count up the known blues and the ranges, then compare to the count of the column, giving you 4/6 and 5/7 blue. The last 2 hexes in each column must be blue (marked with red dots in the picture) to make the count. Using that, you can solve the bottom box thanks to the -2-.

Counting remaining blues and eliminating ranges becomes a huge part of the harder puzzles, particularly on the blue hexes with a count of all blues within 2. That does need more forward thinking than simply eliminating the next obvious one and I can understand why the change in focus would put people off, but solving those ranges is a lot of fun for me. It feels very close to minesweeper, but without the 50/50 guess that loses you the game at the end.

Network Hub
    World 6 is too hard for me. Where do I even start on 6-5 ??

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    World 6 is too hard for me. Where do I even start on 6-5 ??
    http://i.imgur.com/epaVWyE.png
    Either of the circled numbers give you a starting position.

Left hint 1:
    The 7 and the blue 2 give you a big start.

Left hint 2:
    Count the row with the blue 2 considered.

Left answer:
    Every hex in the 7 row that's not in range of the 2 is a blue. Every hex in range of the 2 that's not in the 7 row is black.

Right hint 1:
    A black 5 has exactly one empty hex next to it.

Right hint 2:
    The {} of the {2} is very important.

Right answer:
    The {2} must be next to the 5, since only one side of it can be empty. The rest of the row that's not within 2 hexes of the 5 must be black. The other 4 hexes around the 5 that are not in the {2} row must be blue.
    Last edited by Goateh; 05-09-2014 at 12:17 AM.