Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar

Styx: Master of Shadows

Anyone bought this yet? It looked very interesting from the early reports, but I have too many games going at the moment to justify buying another one at release prices. Still, I'd like to know if it's worth it so as I keep my eye out for a deal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    It's Cyanide, expect bugs.

I've lost all faith in Cyanide. They do interesting things but never well.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Obscure Node
    I saw the Gameplay video but i don't think i am going to buy this game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Not sure how much trust you can put in Steam user reviews, but they seem to be very positive so far. Provided you're looking for a game that's purely about stealth, Thief rather than Dishonoured. Sounds like it's very difficult and the combat is poor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Not sure how much trust you can put in Steam user reviews, but they seem to be very positive so far. Provided you're looking for a game that's purely about stealth, Thief rather than Dishonoured. Sounds like it's very difficult and the combat is poor.
    Yeah, I'm waiting for a few reviews from people I trust, but the initial signs are promising????

I'll give it a look more properly after I'm done with Alien and possibly Wasteland 2, if it keeps my interest. Unless I get sucked back into DCS A-10c in which case I'm lost for a month again. Or Elite grabs me proper.

In any event, I'd love to try the game as I love stealth games and aside from The Dark Mod pickings have been slim since Dishonoured. Thi4f doesn't count, no.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    Thi4f doesn't count, no.

Why? I thought it was a great game! (different people different tastes of course)

As for Styx, yeah the steam reviews seem overall possitive and this gives me hope, as it looks very nice and I like the setting quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Why? I thought it was a great game! (different people different tastes of course)

As for Styx, yeah the steam reviews seem overall possitive and this gives me hope, as it looks very nice and I like the setting quite a lot.
    Well, I'd go on with the usual list of my gripes, but honestly, the biggest offenders were the abysmal sound design and the story. Also context moves, no rope arrows and no jumping and the city was really dull to move around in. I prefer the mission structure of the old games so I don't have to navigate the same area 25 times and steal toe nail clippers from destitute homes. It was decent-ish, but not what I'd consider a good Thief game. And yes, I'm judging it is as that. If they didn't want me to they should have called it something else.

The WiT of Styx is up, by the way. Seems like a good enough stealth game. Will have to investigate further.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, I'd go on with the usual list of my gripes, but honestly, the biggest offenders were the abysmal sound design and the story. Also context moves, no rope arrows and no jumping and the city was really dull to move around in. I prefer the mission structure of the old games so I don't have to navigate the same area 25 times and steal toe nail clippers from destitute homes. It was decent-ish, but not what I'd consider a good Thief game. And yes, I'm judging it is as that. If they didn't want me to they should have called it something else.

The WiT of Styx is up, by the way. Seems like a good enough stealth game. Will have to investigate further.
    Yeah, I liked Thief 4 but... not enough to finish it. I felt like I got on with it really well at the start, and the more I progressed the less it convinced me, until I was back running through the bonehoard in thief 1 just because I preferred having actual missions, and a plot that was fun (if still nonsense, more minimalist nonsense) and levels that were bigger than 2 main rooms and a handful of cupboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Yeah, I liked Thief 4 but... not enough to finish it. I felt like I got on with it really well at the start, and the more I progressed the less it convinced me, until I was back running through the bonehoard in thief 1 just because I preferred having actual missions, and a plot that was fun (if still nonsense, more minimalist nonsense) and levels that were bigger than 2 main rooms and a handful of cupboards.
    I'm on the Asylum Mission and I just can't find the will to trudge on. I remember when I played the brothel mission I kept thinking of the Golden Cat in Dishonoured and how good a mission that was. The one here was just tedious. I think what I miss most from Dishonoured is the verticality of the levels. I'll grant that Thief has never been the most vertical of games but there's no good reason they couldn't change that and removing rope arrows speaks volumes. :(

I also didn't like the tone. Thief was always dark and grimy but there was a spark to it. Garrett. The new Garrett was devoid of that spark. He was basically Victorian Batman in a weird bondage corset living in the Bat Tower, brooding and swooping. How that much leather didn't creak is a wonder. Anyway, never struck me as a thief. More as a petulant recluse with the boring kind of snark, not the fun kind. Cynicism is tedious when done wrong. :(

I liked the new Thief, I really did, finished it fairly recently. It was a completely different game from the old Thief, don't think we'll see any more of those ever, kinda like Rainbow 6, dead series that no longer matter :(

But I agree with the Brothel Mission, it just wasn't as good as the Dishonored one, as much as I like T&A. The Asylum mission I really enjoyed tho, just ooooooozes atmosphere, for me Thief's Moira Asylum is on par with Shalebridge Cradle and the hotel from VtM Bloodlines. But the end of new Thief is fucking atrocious!

Haven't tried Styx yet, but from what I hear and read it seems to be OK. Completely unremarkable, but OK.

Yeah I like Thief 4 too, enough to finish it twice. However....
    the biggest offenders were the abysmal sound design and the story.
    I agree with this. And also the last two missions are pretty dull and the ending is just a big dumb vague mess. The middle part of the game with the architect's house, the asylum, and the baron's mansion are the high point. And the sidemissions, which feel more like classic Thief missions, albeit in smaller portions.

As for Styx, the WIT doesn't make is sound great, but I'll probably play it anyway. I'm a huge sucker for stealth games. Hell I even managed to enjoy Stolen and Velvet Assassin, so I'm sure I'll like Styx too.

Regarding Thi4f: as someone who loves the Thief series and thinks they're some of the best games ever made (yes, even Deadly Shadows), should I bother with Thi4f? Or would it only spoil my high opinion of the franchise?
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Regarding Thi4f: as someone who loves the Thief series and thinks they're some of the best games ever made (yes, even Deadly Shadows), should I bother with Thi4f? Or would it only spoil my high opinion of the franchise?
    I felt it was more or less on a par with a more stealth oriented dishonored, than as lofty as the original 2 thief games. Make of that entirely what you will, I genuinely don't mean it in either a disparaging or praising way.

I have very fond memories of the early Thief games, but i also had some criticisms for them, like sameness of environments, silly zombie levels, i got lost way too much, etc.
    I enjoyed the new game more than the early ones, but you have to factor in 15 years of gaming in between. The main criticisms for it are:
    1. Atrocious sound design and issues. It's bugged, disorientating and plainly annoying.
    2. Last couple of levels were not very good.
    3. Story was meh.

Other than the above, i had a great 30 hours with the game. Note that you need a decent machine to run it at high. But it is gorgeous. It was the game that made me upgrade my gtx570 to a 780.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Speaking as someone who counts Thief 2 on his all-time top 10, but was hugely disappointed by Deadly Shadows: I liked it.

Thief 4 is far enough removed from the original trilogy(being set 400 years later, and with a different Garrett) that it won't impact your opinion on the earlier games much in any way.

Thanks for all the feedback, I might pick Thi4f up in a sale sometime then.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I just played a bit but it really annoyed me. I was discovered stealthing and it made me reload. Hate that in games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    To me, the most important part of any stealth game is the eavesdropping and snooping, and so the real question is: are there lots of funny or interesting scraps of private conversations/correspondence for you to find? I like silently eliminating guards and planning brilliant infiltrations and all that, but what I like best is reading other people's mail.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.