Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Nvidia's SLI and AMD's Crossfire Crossover

This would be a major breakthrough if this can really be achieved by the new DirectX

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?new...aphics%20Cards

That says, you may be able to utilize multiple GPUs from the both brands installed in one single computer instead of previous practice in which you have to choose either Nivdia and AMD GPUs both not both.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    In before both AMD and nVidia make changes to their drivers to destroy any shred of potential compatibility that might have ever existed in the history of ever.

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    In before both AMD and nVidia make changes to their drivers to destroy any shred of potential compatibility that might have ever existed in the history of ever.
    Indeed. I doubt Nvidia and AMD will allow this to happen, since it would pretty much render their own multi-GPU tech redundant.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Multi gpu is already redundant.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    SHHHHH. Buy more GPUS!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    SHHHHH. Buy more GPUS!
    One with more ram than it can even use, or one with intentionally broken ram that cripples the card?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    One with more ram than it can even use, or one with intentionally broken ram that cripples the card?
    Two of each.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Not if you need to run 4k or multiple monitor set up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Maybe gamers should always remember that we run all softwares being supplied to us, not the softwares we write ourselves. So what we can use or not depends on what we are offered, not what we want to use.

If the industrialists collude to forcefully remove this crossover, we really can't do a damn thing about it. But, I don't think multi-GPU is not useful, just as you won't go back and use single core CPUs.

If you do feel the benefit of running GTA IV on multiple-GPU, that's because pre-patched GTA IV does not support multiple GPUs in the first place, not because multiple-GPU is not useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Not if you wantto run 4k or multiple monitor set up.
    Sure, but daft begats daft.

Personally, I've never seen the need to consider SLI or Crossfire, mainly due to the technical issues you're bound to run into. I'm currently on a 1080p screen and I don't intend to change that in the coming years, so I'd rather have a single card and upgrade that once in a while.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not if you need to run 4k or multiple monitor set up.
    If you have a stupid setup you'll need stupid hardware to keep-up with it - but as your ambitions grow, so do your issues - until you're spending more time fixing it than playing it (tho I'd argue people who want multiple 4K monitors never intended to play anything - they wanted something to show-off)

I get that people want 'everything with everything on top' but I've NEVER seen a multi-GPU setup which didn't cause as many problems as it solved.

I know one guy who's multi-GPU monster PC is so temperamental that be actually "plays games" on his laptop or removes all but 1 GPU to make the thing stable ;0
    Last edited by trjp; 27-02-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Obscure Node
    I always prefered nvidia, but AMD cards are less expensive

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    If you have a stupid setup you'll need stupid hardware to keep-up with it - but as your ambitions grow, so do your issues - until you're spending more time fixing it than playing it (tho I'd argue people who want multiple 4K monitors never intended to play anything - they wanted something to show-off)
    Nobody can run multiple 4K monitors. People do run three 1080p monitors. Looks amazing for racing games.

I get that people want 'everything with everything on top' but I've NEVER seen a multi-GPU setup which didn't cause as many problems as it solved.

I know one guy who's multi-GPU monster PC is so temperamental that be actually "plays games" on his laptop or removes all but 1 GPU to make the thing stable ;0
    why would you remove GPU? You can turn them off, you know, if SLI is causing problems. so either your friend is stupid or you misunderstood something.

Doesnt Sephking run SLI? I may be mistaken though. Would like to hear his opinion,

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nobody can run multiple 4K monitors. People do run three 1080p monitors. Looks amazing for racing games.
    I can run 3x1080p monitors on my little 650Ti Boost for the racing games I play (mostly Assetto Corsa with the all fancy bloom etc. disabled because it looks shit) - it's not that big a deal..

ETS2 and TS2015 - the best reasons to multi-monitor ever made - are even less demanding...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I can run 3x1080p monitors on my little 650Ti Boost for the racing games I play (mostly Assetto Corsa with the all fancy bloom etc. disabled because it looks shit) - it's not that big a deal..

ETS2 and TS2015 - the best reasons to multi-monitor ever made - are even less demanding...
    can you run project cars maxed on your 650ti?

just because the game you like can run on your computer does not mean that every game will. so yes. it is a big deal.

As someone who used to run a Crossfire setup and has since converted to a single Nvidia card, I'd never go back. Crossfire is a pain in the ass, and that's when it actually works. Support from AMD comes way too slowly, and rarely fixes the main issues with a game utilizing crossfire.

I can't imagine SLI is much better. They both seem pointless, even for high-end rigs. There's always another step up with a single-card setup unless you have several thousand dollars to blow on GPUs alone and you're going to quad-SLI Titans or something absolutely ridiculous like that.
    ~

The SLI driver support is usually more quickly available from non beta drivers. I wouldn't bother with a multi card solution of either though.