Activated Node

Your life matters so take it slow or you'll die - what FPS should I try?

Can you recommend a multiplayer FPS that would provide more of the sensation I describe below? Please try to describe what makes your suggestion a good fit or how I should play it to get what I want - I've tried plenty, maybe I've just missed it! I mention Red Orchestra 2, Insurgency, CSGO and Tribes, so anything outside those is game.

I'm looking for an FPS with mounting tension through a high value placed on lives and a cautious pace. Two favourites, one older and one more recent, are Red Orchestra 2 and Insurgency. Neither of them matches my description above throughout a round, but both have such moments, moments that I really enjoy.

In both, I enjoy the fact that it often takes just one shot to kill. Positioning and management of space is key, where as running around wildly will get you killed. Granted, in both games dieing isn't serious throughout. RO2 begins with both of teams having between one to three hundred reinforcements, effectively respawn points. As long as the two teams are close in numbers or while above say 80 respawns. Rushing control points remains a common and workable strategy. More varied modes are played in Insurgency, but many need your team to capture a control point on the map to get more respawns. One mode features an asymmetrical aspect, with the defending side having a set amount of respawn waves for the match and the attacking side having fewer waves to capture a control point with - but doing so nets them more waves.

The best parts of both games for me are
    1) staying alive for as long as I can while being effective, with an emphasis on the former, and
    2) the very end where respawns are very limited (or even better, you're out of them)

That bit where lives matter most and you know there's a guy with a gun somewhere and they'll get you with one shot if you don't get them first and the outcome will be either an important success or failure toward the goal for your team - that's the best part.

On the face of it, CSGO might seem to fit the bill. When you're hit, you die, and it certainly takes fewer shots to kill than say a typical arena shooter. Yet CS is a fast paced game, not the type where you'd take the time to maneuver to hit the enemy's flank. I can't do a very fast pace, unless I don't really have to shoot to hit to be effective like in Tribes, where I'd usually pick either a flag capture or base support role.

Any mode with one life each round, I feel we need a general thread though...
    Meanwhile cs go, due process, the hidden, the faded ns2, frozen synapse...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Any mode with one life each round, I feel we need a general thread though...
    Meanwhile cs go, due process, the hidden, the faded ns2, frozen synapse...
    Does one life each round not necessarily equal fast paced play to keep rounds and waiting time short? It's because of that I specifically singled out CSGO.

I have to note that Frozen Synapse isn't an FPS, and NS2 as far as I remember has an even shorter window of the kind of tension I'm looking for due to its respawn mechanisms. I'll see about Due Process (care to describe how it relates to what I'm after?), but The Hidden is definitely on target.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    From what I've seen of the newest Rainbow Six game, Siege, it might fit your bill?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    You guys have disapointed me... Read the key line, it's obvious.
    I'm looking for an FPS with mounting tension through a high value placed on lives and a cautious pace.

gameplay starts at 2.50, but the earlier stuff is interesting too.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 30-08-2015 at 02:56 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by salattu View Post
    Does one life each round not necessarily equal fast paced play to keep rounds and waiting time short? It's because of that I specifically singled out CSGO.

I have to note that Frozen Synapse isn't an FPS, and NS2 as far as I remember has an even shorter window of the kind of tension I'm looking for due to its respawn mechanisms. I'll see about Due Process (care to describe how it relates to what I'm after?), but The Hidden is definitely on target.
    One life per round is supposed to make things tense because you are pretty sure the bad is going to happen anytime, tense fastening of gameplay and love for adrenaline junkies, waiting is not the issue but indeed some games need to come up with something to do during "the break".

Frozen synapse is cs without the fps part, strategy and execution match and it's interesting if anything a better game than most military things.

Ns2 The Faded is a better thing than The hidden but the hidden is free and they are basically the same.

due process is casual because you can't master maps but still very simple to work out fast and come up with a plan, it's unforgiving and IIRC free to test.

The hidden is a good mode and that's rare.

I want to mention superhot too but it's not multiplayer and if you lack the motivation for stunts it's going to suck tbh. The only way it gains more tension than hotline miami is because it's in first person and you can't see shit.
    Last edited by Wenz; 30-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You guys have disapointed me... Read the key line, it's obvious.

gameplay starts at 2.50, but the earlier stuff is interesting too.

yeah right honestly how many games are left?:p I'd be like quoting from countless fps threads

I forgot, I mean Idk anything about it all but maybe mech games have something for you? You don't do extreme twitch and maybe malm people while raining tears of scarlet from your hands. Or play the clunkiest thing ever with star wars osts or something. I guess you' ll be scared of headshots because it's the common trend to have and maybe makes sense if the pilot is there (I don't even) (I'm trying to say lethal weapons will be very lethal and stuff).

Too bad Brigador is not first person eh (I like third more)?
    Last edited by Wenz; 30-08-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Network Hub
    Maybe you'd be interested in Project Reality. Just watch some of the 60m seconds video to get a feel for what to expect.

It's a mod for Battlefield 2 and is now completely free and stand-alone. It has huge maps, pits two teams of 50 players each against each other and offers cooperation between players, squads and units (most maps have a dedicated transport squad who bring people to the front lines e.g.). It is very slow varied and tickets are very important. Players are discouraged to simply respawn once dead and hoping for a medic to get people back up to save tickets is standard practice.

There's still a lot more to say about but just check out some videos or try it out yourself.

Look for singleplayer games that people have done Ironman runs on.

It's a self-imposed restriction, but can be a lot of fun. Basically, you play it on a hard difficulty, and if you die, you vow to delete your save file. One guy got famous playing Crysis this way (and then jumped the shark promoting Crysis 3). I'm pretty sure FarCry 2 is another famous one to play that way.

It's not going to be good as his Wildcards though.
    I didn't know about the vow, I cringed a bit at his fear/deus ex iron runs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I'd recommend Far Cry 2 and SWAT 4.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Modding the balls off STALKER and using one of the mods that removes the plot-spawning might suit your tastes if you follow the Iron Man advice above. Although if you add enough mods to Skyrim even that can become an intense, slow and cautious survival experience, as much about surviving Frostfall's environmental features(cold, wet clothes freezing you and weighing more, harvesting firewood and creating tents and other survival gear using materials taken from hunted animals, so forth), Realistic Needs and Diseases, and the dangers of true darkness with appropriate lighting mods. Not to mention Hunterborn. A much more interesting experience than the vanilla, if singleplayer is your thing.

Still, it does rely upon that suspension of disbelief and the willpower to hold to the Iron Man rules.

I do enjoy playing that way, but it's easiest with very familiar games. To hold to Iron Man in an unfamiliar game is to defy yourself any experimentation, and thus the learning-experience. This only works out well in very intuitive, rational and open games. The Metal Gear Solid series is a lot of fun in this regard, as many experiments, even the most bizarre, bear fruit - and some of them come with an 'extreme' difficulty mode that induces a Game Over event upon being killed.

3 even includes a 'European Extreme' mode in which the game ends immediately upon even being *seen* by an enemy O.o

"Vietcong" might interest you, but I'm not sure if people actually still play it. But in any case, I strongly recommend trying its campaign, which is quite well made. Considering how old it is, its jungle is rather convincing in its density. And if you can get together a few people, you may want to try some "Halong Port"-deathmatches. One of the best experiences we ever had on our small LAN-parties.

Edit: Or maybe just a map against the AI on "Vietnam"-difficulty? Believe me, it deserves its name ;-)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by salattu View Post
    Can you recommend a multiplayer FPS that would provide more of the sensation I describe below? Please try to describe what makes your suggestion a good fit or how I should play it to get what I want - I've tried plenty, maybe I've just missed it! I mention Red Orchestra 2, Insurgency, CSGO and Tribes, so anything outside those is game.

I'm looking for an FPS with mounting tension through a high value placed on lives and a cautious pace. Two favourites, one older and one more recent, are Red Orchestra 2 and Insurgency. Neither of them matches my description above throughout a round, but both have such moments, moments that I really enjoy.

In both, I enjoy the fact that it often takes just one shot to kill. Positioning and management of space is key, where as running around wildly will get you killed. Granted, in both games dieing isn't serious throughout. RO2 begins with both of teams having between one to three hundred reinforcements, effectively respawn points. As long as the two teams are close in numbers or while above say 80 respawns. Rushing control points remains a common and workable strategy. More varied modes are played in Insurgency, but many need your team to capture a control point on the map to get more respawns. One mode features an asymmetrical aspect, with the defending side having a set amount of respawn waves for the match and the attacking side having fewer waves to capture a control point with - but doing so nets them more waves.

The best parts of both games for me are
    1) staying alive for as long as I can while being effective, with an emphasis on the former, and
    2) the very end where respawns are very limited (or even better, you're out of them)

That bit where lives matter most and you know there's a guy with a gun somewhere and they'll get you with one shot if you don't get them first and the outcome will be either an important success or failure toward the goal for your team - that's the best part.

On the face of it, CSGO might seem to fit the bill. When you're hit, you die, and it certainly takes fewer shots to kill than say a typical arena shooter. Yet CS is a fast paced game, not the type where you'd take the time to maneuver to hit the enemy's flank. I can't do a very fast pace, unless I don't really have to shoot to hit to be effective like in Tribes, where I'd usually pick either a flag capture or base support role.
    having recently had it recommended to me, ill pass on the favour

ARMA 3 on a King of the Hill server (KotH)

team based, but not essential
    one shot one kill with an unnerving feeling death is just around the corner

im enjoying it very much as an adult version of COD without all the idiotic jumping around and grenade throwing

Obscure Node
    Counter-strike:Global offensive, You might get bored of the game but trust me after you get to level 3 and you do comps it is a LOT faster with leveling up

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchFluffy View Post
    "Vietcong" might interest you, but I'm not sure if people actually still play it. But in any case, I strongly recommend trying its campaign, which is quite well made. Considering how old it is, its jungle is rather convincing in its density. And if you can get together a few people, you may want to try some "Halong Port"-deathmatches. One of the best experiences we ever had on our small LAN-parties.

Edit: Or maybe just a map against the AI on "Vietnam"-difficulty? Believe me, it deserves its name ;-)
    I always wanted to complete that because it sounded like a cool thing but I never had. I don't remember why. Maybe I didn't like the shooting....I remember a moment of hate when shooting a sniper kong early in the game and it was taking ages. I have no idea.

------
    @undercovergeek I completely ignored war sims but maybe armas are the best suggestions as long as they put players through traumas and war things. Because of the sim part. That makes them shit shooters:p only a little bit.;0
    Last edited by Wenz; 31-08-2015 at 08:51 PM.