Network Hub

Anyone else getting a steady stream of random new friends on Steam?

Since 2006 I've had maybe 2 friends in Steam, never bothered with adding people etc. I'm at an age where my peers IRL either don't game or won't admit to gaming. C'est la vie.

Anyhow, for about the past 2 weeks I'm getting 4 or 5 random people adding me to their friends list every time I logon...

Has Valve introduced a friendship badge recently or is the internet in general just waking up to my awesomeness?

Jim

dont get as much as you do :) but yeah... few weeks ago random friend invites started to pop up.. never happened to me before. I'm just ignoring them :)

Lesser Hivemind Node palindrome's Avatar
    I have been getting the same thing, although at a lower frequency. As all these new 'friends' are all Steam lvl 0 I treat them as highly suspicious and block them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Is just spam, everyone believes. Valve has now clamped on it, though.

I had quite a few last week, all had protected user profiles.
    I added them and gave them my credit card information, it's the friendly thing to do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I had a couple a while back, was suspicious, but added them... then saw people discussing this issue and thought "Eh, I guess it probably is shady" and unfriended them again.

Quote Originally Posted by ran93r View Post
    I added them and gave them my credit card information, it's the friendly thing to do.

I giggled. :)
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

I added the first couple I got (this was years ago), but they never attempted to contact me after that. If it is spam, it is certainly ineffective.

Angel Face kept adding me every few months. Gonna miss her :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Yeah I get about 1 a day

I've only had one or two in the last months, it's probably spam. I temporarily added one to see what would happen, but in my case I never heard from my new "friend" again (I ended up blocking/removing him as a friend, just to be sure). Anyone else have any experience with accepting those mysterious friend requests?
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

While private L0 are generally regarded as spam, I'm not sure myself as I only accept friend requests from profiles who seem to belong to real people, and that basically implies public profiles or an acquaintance from some place other than Steam for private ones.

I keep hearing about beggars, but using those rules I've never had the problem myself, guess my gaming profile helps a lot with that <g>
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I get very few of these (and summarily ignore the occasional one I do get). I wonder if that's because I keep my account set to friends only?

I've received a lot fewer invites since Valve did the $5 requirement thing. Received them like crazy before it. It's either spammers or phishers.
    ~

Funny, I'm still receiving them after the $5 change, and the frequency has increased lately, but it was never so much to be annoying, just one every now and then.
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Got a few as well. They all had private profiles and were Steam level 0, so I just ignored them.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with.

I get about 2 people daily, they have private profiles and steam level is 0 so i just block them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    I have been getting the same thing, although at a lower frequency. As all these new 'friends' are all Steam lvl 0 I treat them as highly suspicious and block them.
    Yeah, I'm on this camp. At first I thought it was RPS people I didn't know, but they profiles kept private after I accepted the friend requests, so I just nuked them.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Received my first private level 0 request since Valve introduced their new restrictions yesterday. Perhaps the $5 is just Valve's way of making money out of the spammers/scammers, rather than doing something about them directly. They could at least put a warning on the acceptance screen, for less savvy people.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice