Page 1 of 132 1231151101 ... LastLast

The name that game challenge

My cousin and best friend emailed me this photo today (below) and wanted to know what game I was playing when it was taken. The year would be around 1999 judging by the the PC case. This would be my second PC after I borked the first one while installing a Samsung 120Mb floppy drive. The monitor and keyboard are from the original AST system (that's the AST mouse mat there too) bought from PC World crica 1997/98. The game on the other hand I have absolutely no idea.

Let's look at the clues though. The orange CD on the right would be Half Life, so that came out in 1998 but the game on the screen is not Half Life. There are some floppy discs in that storage box but I didn't have any PC games on floppies so they would be for files only I guess. Quite exactly what I'm pointing at I do not know, can't really see anything there and I don't recognize the HUD. That's a Thrustmaster Top Gun joystick on top of the disc box, clearly I'm not using it and the game looks to be a first person shooter.

Well, any ideas? There's a prize in it for the winner. Maybe...actually maybe not.

Obviously image isn't a lot to go on, but possibly Kingpin: Life of Crime? From what I played in the demo it had a hell of a lot of alleyways/brick buildings of about the graphical quality.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Looks like Kingpin.

/edit:
    Beaten to it. Yeah, most likely Kingpin. The different baseline for the digits of the HP and the odd habit of having Hud in the top right corner were typical for it. The setting would fit too.

If it actually is Kingpin, I am going to feel inordinately proud of myself given my sole experience was playing the demo back in 1999 and have neither seen nor heard of it since.

LOOK I GOTTA FEEL PROUD ABOUT SOMETHING

(also apparently the developers of Kingpin are now Treyarch!)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's quite curious what the brain occasionally decides to put into eternal storage. I'm wondering, was there anything specific, that made you remember? To me it was the font-baseline thing, because I remember it ticking me off at the time. The power of (bad) typography!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Another vote for Kingpin. I recognise the textures - ugly, muddy, and uninspired.

Also, I had that same tower case back in the late 90s.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Heh, my gut feeling too was Kingpin. Now I want it to turn out not to be, so we all look foolish.

edit: but that's the Kingpin UI/HUD, so I guess that's that.

I'm thinking Kingpin as well. The number in the upper right corner seems to coincide with where my brain thinks the money counter was.

When we've sorted this we could re-purpose this thread to posting old screenshots and having people guess what the game is.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Yeah looks like Kingpin.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    So whats next,the first one who guessed the game post another screenie ? Yes plaese :3

Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    It's quite curious what the brain occasionally decides to put into eternal storage. I'm wondering, was there anything specific, that made you remember? To me it was the font-baseline thing, because I remember it ticking me off at the time. The power of (bad) typography!
    Honestly it was just the screen - I realized I have never played a Quake-II looking game that took place in urban alleyways, except for that one. It's just a surprisingly uncommon setting for first-person games.

Looks like Doom2 maybe or maybe Quake
    -=-=-= Eldevin Characters =-=-=-
    Battle Mage: Plat0nicHate (Lvl 34) | Templar: PLat0nic (Lvl 22)
    -=-=-= Stomping Eldevin n00bs since Beta =-=-=-

Yes, I think you are all correct - it must be Kingpin. I just checked a walkthrough and the HUD looks the same. My wrist is obscuring the health meter which would have helped a lot had it been visible. Thanks for solving that little conundrum.

And here's the reward:

My third PC. This was one of two Time PC's that I had. This particular one was advertised by Spock, circa 2001. I seem to have an awful lot floppy discs, can't recall using that many to be honest and ooh, look up there...are those cassette tapes? Yes they are.
    If memory serves me well, which it often doesn't, I'd say this was the AMD AthlonXP 2Ghz, with Microstar MS-5382 main board and a massive 512Mb of RAM! Actually I didn't just trawl that up from memory I have it written down in a txt file because I kept a log of all my systems - that's a bit pathetic.

Nothing else exciting about this photo. Actually it's not very exciting at all, it's crap but I couldn't think of anything else. Plus I was late replying to my thread having only just jumped onto my PC this evening.
    Last edited by soopytwist; 10-02-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    So whats next,the first one who guessed the game post another screenie ? Yes plaese :3
    I like this idea and nominate that since Aerothorn got it first, they post some image from a game that we have to guess what is!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Preferably also on a CRT monitor, from a distance, partially obscured. To keep it interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soopytwist View Post
    My third PC.
    I had that printer too at one point.

I find this all incredibly disturbing.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Network Hub
    I agree it looks like Kingpin but didn't that have your ammo in the bottom right of the screen?

It didn't show ammo until you got a gun and that photo shows right at the beginning of the game before you gut a piece, probably just after you pass the guy who offers to upgrade your steel pipe.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Take it away Aerothorn

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donjo View Post
    Take it away Aerothorn

Take it away! TAKE IT! :o