Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Obscure Node Heske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19

    Platoon Breakdown

    So, at the moment the meta is shifting with squad spawns and whatnot - combined arms is feeling more and more important (and fun!) - so maybe we should discuss what we need in a platoon, ranging from core (squad leaders with beacons) to optional (dedicated air squads).

    Here, I'll start. As discussed elsewhere, I'd be tempted to run a squad with the intention of always dropping from a circling Gal - lots of light assaults and infiltrators designed to disrupt entrenched positions before redeploying to the Gal for another shot.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,317
    Nice initiative! I agree wholly on the Gal-drop squad! Should be fun. Do we want to prefix this with [VS] or is this topic intended for both outfits, by the way?

    I'd like to mention a couple of things in regards to my favourite thing in PS2, tank and combined arms play.

    - With the current meta game, we must always bring Skyguards with an armour column. I'd say no less than two Skyguards at any time, and no less than one for every 3-4 Magriders/Sundies (unless those Sundies have Walkers on top). That means two Skyguards per squad of tanks.

    - Tanks are awesome against other ground vehicles, and disorganised infantry, but against a competent infantry force in a good position, Mags will lose. Infantry support really seems to help with taking out and/or distracting enemy AV troops, so bringing a squad or two of mobile (Sundy-mounted) foot troops with the tank column might be a good idea.

    I've got a few other ideas about platoon-level coordination between tanks, air and ground troops that I'd like to explore some time when we've got around three squads worth of people available. (Maybe it would be worth checking if some other 1-2 squad outfit would like to do a joint op some time?)
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Heske View Post
    I'd be tempted to run a squad with the intention of always dropping from a circling Gal - lots of light assaults and infiltrators designed to disrupt entrenched positions before redeploying to the Gal for another shot.
    Just a suggestion, but wouldn;t it be more disruptive to use a squad of heavy assaults with 1-2 medics? The reason I would say this is the fact that the galaxy brings you in and acts as the location to flank from. You don't need the additional flanking options that infiltrators and light assault provide you. So by using those two classes you give up extra staying power and extra damage in favour of flanking capabilities.

    My idea for 12 man in such a set-up would be 4 heavies (jackhammer), 4 heavies (rocket launcher), 2 medics (revive grenades), 1 light assault (smoke grenade), 1 infiltrator (recon dart to find the last few and max spotter). Lots of damage up front. The set up would not even need to kill everything in a room, just as you said disrupt. Force the defencie position to be either dead, damaged or reloading as the main strike force attacks to mob it all up.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    Just a suggestion, but wouldn;t it be more disruptive to use a squad of heavy assaults with 1-2 medics? The reason I would say this is the fact that the galaxy brings you in and acts as the location to flank from. You don't need the additional flanking options that infiltrators and light assault provide you. So by using those two classes you give up extra staying power and extra damage in favour of flanking capabilities.

    My idea for 12 man in such a set-up would be 4 heavies (jackhammer), 4 heavies (rocket launcher), 2 medics (revive grenades), 1 light assault (smoke grenade), 1 infiltrator (recon dart to find the last few and max spotter). Lots of damage up front. The set up would not even need to kill everything in a room, just as you said disrupt. Force the defencie position to be either dead, damaged or reloading as the main strike force attacks to mob it all up.
    Depends what you're trying to achieve. What you describe sounds like a particular 'play'. It would need several people to act together to achieve a particular goal. I agree that your plan sounds highly disruptive. However, I think what Heske describes is more a play 'style'. People wouldn't need to coordinate and could just repeatedly drop on the enemy all night. I think the class choice should reflect which of these two things you're doing. If it's a last minute drop on a point then the heavy/medic mix works well. If it's general dropping behind lines to cause mayhem being able to pick your fights as an infil or LA gives you much more surviveability which is still helpful even when the gal is still circling because it improves your kill rate.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

    Wally is now on Steam!

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Heske View Post
    lots of light assaults and infiltrators designed to disrupt entrenched positions
    I was responding to this, as it's the situation he discribed. But I agree if you are going for more of an area disruptive where you try to take out lone enemies, snipers, repair engineers and people running to the point from the spawn then yes. The light assault/infiltrator set up works better, but to destroy an entrenched position..... you just give up what you need in favour of a addition possibility that you don't need.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    I was responding to this, as it's the situation he discribed. But I agree if you are going for more of an area disruptive where you try to take out lone enemies, snipers, repair engineers and people running to the point from the spawn then yes. The light assault/infiltrator set up works better, but to destroy an entrenched position..... you just give up what you need in favour of a addition possibility that you don't need.

    Oh yeah, missed that. LA and infil are not the #1 choice for breaking a locked room etc.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

    Wally is now on Steam!

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,609
    Yeah, cannot really go wrong with heavies and medics. But there is a certain appeal to dropping 11 infiltrators. Even if most of them die enough should be able to survive hiding under a rock or something to be a persistent annoyance.

    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    - Tanks are awesome against other ground vehicles, and disorganised infantry, but against a competent infantry force in a good position, Mags will lose. Infantry support really seems to help with taking out and/or distracting enemy AV troops, so bringing a squad or two of mobile (Sundy-mounted) foot troops with the tank column might be a good idea.
    How about supporting armour with a squad of airbourne giraffes based in a Gal? Really nasty AV-nests could be MAX dropped. You miss out on the staying power of a sundy-based squad for actually capping bases though... perhaps have a battle gal and battle sundy up at all times for the infantry squad, since they can spawn in either one as required?

  8. #8
    Obscure Node Heske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    What about Sunderers? Should we have designated drivers in squads (a pair of them, perhaps, to share the vehicle cooldown and swap between driving/gunning seats) for assaults? Do repair/ammo sunderers have a place in armour pushes?

    Is there an ideal layout for a full four-squad platoon in terms of balanced squads, mechanised, air, and the like?

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Heske View Post
    What about Sunderers? Should we have designated drivers in squads (a pair of them, perhaps, to share the vehicle cooldown and swap between driving/gunning seats) for assaults? Do repair/ammo sunderers have a place in armour pushes?
    No. The person closest to the vehicle spawn when the order comes, pulls one, unless a specific loadout is requested, then he/she who has it spawns it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heske View Post
    Is there an ideal layout for a full four-squad platoon in terms of balanced squads, mechanised, air, and the like?
    There are some good compositions depending on the problem you want to tackle, but a generalist order of battle, no. As VS for instance, Magriders should be FPC+Saron/Halberd (anything else is useless imho atm), but in a full platoon two PC+PPA are good for suppression/spawn room camping. 4 scythes and a lib are good to have. etc

    The thing is in this game you redeploy a lot, you change classes depending on the situation, and as far as actually getting from A to B, atm the best option is a galaxy.

    Finally, you cannot have a strict platoon composition without strict cert requirements. You can ask for specific things, knowing that certain members have them, but you also have to understand that the rest will just have to fill other roles without having the ideal loadout for those.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 19-02-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •