Ikaruga is out on Steam - Anyone care?

Ikaruga released on Steam today.

Treasure games on PC.

Need I say more?

(Apart from: I want Bangai-O, Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes as well! Make it happen Treasure, please!)

Network Hub
    Oh wow I want it !

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ugh... on the one hand I have next to no interest in actually playing Ikaruga ever again (it's cold, joyless and puritan and if you're not perfectly chaining every stage in the set order You're Doing It Wrong). On the other hand I'm really tempted to buy it to up the chances of some other developer porting scrolling shooters to the PC. I say other developer rather than Treasure since I never played Radiant Silvergun and I'm not remotely as interested in seeing it ported as I would be Gradius V, but I'm guessing since that was a Playstation 2 release there's small chance it'd make the jump. :(

Oh, and my heart belongs to Cave, hence my internet nick.

EDIT: Oh, also kudos to them for the price. Not too low so as to pander to the "lol, all old games r worthless, u shud be paying me" crowd, not too high to put them off outright.

I cannot stand bullet-hell shooters. Ikaruga, even, leaves me somewhat cold with its conform-or-die gameplay ethic.

But Cave and other bullet-hell devs make the same kind of games. No LEVEL DESIGN. Just enemies and bullets. Ikaruga at least has some, the grid of squares, the circular core boss fight etc. Personally I think a shmup is utterly worthless if it doesn't have Thunder Force / R-Type / Gradius / Radiant Silvergun style level design, where there are structures and obstacles to avoid as part of the gameplay.

Still, I paid for Ikaruga on PC in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, we will see some other Treasure games.

Seeing a hi-res Treasure Video Games logo as the game boots up is quite a pleasing experience. Can't say that about the game, sadly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by casimirsblake View Post
    (Apart from: I want Bangai-O, Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes as well! Make it happen Treasure, please!)
    Dear lord, I'd KILL for a PC port of Guardian Heroes with online. Freaking LOVED that game back in the Saturn.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Dear lord, I'd KILL for a PC port of Guardian Heroes with online. Freaking LOVED that game back in the Saturn.
    It's on Xbawks so it's not a far-fetched thought. I'd also like to point you to what advances the emulator/CSci scene has made in filters:

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=306

Last edited by pakoito; 18-02-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I cannot stand bullet-hell shooters. Ikaruga, even, leaves me somewhat cold with its conform-or-die gameplay ethic.
    To be fair, its not as bullet hell as many others with the flipping mechanism often allowing you to fly smoothly if you keep a cool head.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Gradius V is probably bummed unless Konami decide to do something with it. Which is a shame because y'know, it's brillo.

Bought Ikaruga anyway. Well rusty having not really put much time into it since the Gamecube version years ago but still find it fairly masterful in a clinical kind of way.

Would just settle for Bangai-O though in any of its forms.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

I care but there's a couple of games that I need to prioritise before I move on. I'm chuffed to bits to see Ikaruga on PC though, that's one less game that I'll have to look towards emulation for.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    That looks really nice probably because it's a 3D game so it manages to sidestep the problem that I have with any of these "high quality" filters which is how they make sprites look like clay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

But Cave and other bullet-hell devs make the same kind of games. No LEVEL DESIGN. Just enemies and bullets. Ikaruga at least has some, the grid of squares, the circular core boss fight etc. Personally I think a shmup is utterly worthless if it doesn't have Thunder Force / R-Type / Gradius / Radiant Silvergun style level design, where there are structures and obstacles to avoid as part of the gameplay.
    Uh, the enemies and the bullets are the level design, genius. Sorry, but why on earth would you say "I hate everything about these games" and then offer up something like that as a criticism as if it's proof positive they're rubbish? And why would you single out Ikaruga as "conform or die" and then insist all shooters must funnel their players down rigid, restrictive paths?

Not to mention my nick is a support character from Cave's Guwange, one of my favourite games of all time, where you control a character who's - wait for it - walking on the ground through levels marked out by impassable barriers and scenery. I get that you prefer Treasure's other games, I do, but you don't know what you're talking about, basically.

Rooks, back off.

I just happen to believe bullet hell shooters are worthless as anything other than "score attack" type experiences. I also never used the words "rigid" or "restrictive" when describing level design.

I was merely giving my opinion, you're lambasting it. Stop putting words into people's mouths, then maybe you'll come across as less of an offensive twit.

RobF: Have Konami released many PC games recently? They seem tremendously selective. A PC port of Gradius V would be awesome of course, but what's also missing from Steam / GOG are the PC ports of Silent Hill 2-4. They haven't been reissued as retail games, either.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    +1!

That was one of my favourite games :D

Playing as Randy was awesome!

I snuck in a bit today, it's really really good, looks a treat. I recognise some sound effects from Gradius V so it wouldn't be surprising if they reused them all for that game. I haven't played more than ten minutes of this game previously so it's great to finally own it and work to get further than stage 2. Having to jump through the keyboard emulator hoop because none of my controllers are recognised is a bit of a bummer but it's got all the control options that I'll ever need so I can just use the keyboard or the mouse whenever I get sick of lugging the HRAP 3 out of the closet. If your controller does work you can expect the option of controlling both ships with the one pad which is really cool so you'll be able to swear in stereo whenever you get pushed into the walls by one of those bloody charge lasers.

That aside it's a good port of an excellent game and I hope this does so well for Treasure that whenever they look at their back catalogue dollar signs appear in their eyes and it ends up in PC gamers getting more of their games.

With the lack of generic controller/arcade stick native support,no multiplayer like the 360 port and apparently quite a lot of issues with the steam offline mode then no,I donīt care. Not for now anyway.

While Iīm personally not the biggest fan of these types of games I used to play them quite a bit back in the day and even bought a jp Saturn copy of Radiant Silvergun so Iīll admit that I had some interest in Ikaruga but in itīs curent state I wonīt bother.

Considering dinput has been deprecated for 5 years now, it seems weird to expect devs to include it. Kinda nice if they do but it sort of puts it in the "time to move on" category for me.

Arcade sticks usually hinge around key binds though don't they? (I know I had to do that for xarcade support in one title a while back) so any key emulator should do the trick there. Not a great biggy although native support is obviously welcome. Can imagine it'd be a mare if there's no standard though.

Anyway, it's a pretty slick port as far as I've played through and I still enjoy the shooter-as-puzzle aspect of it all. And the sound. God, I love the sound.

Casimirsblake, they do seem rather erratic on the release front. Lewie reminded me that Gradius V has been put through for a rating again recently so it'll be interesting to see what comes of that. Might just be a PS2 on PS3 release but with the PS4 out now that seems like a weird choice. Here's hoping for something to turn up.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times