Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Writers of RockPaperShotgun, how did you come to progress to where you are now?

I'm just curious, I'm always fascinated by the talented writers here who write consistently above average articles.

Well, I know from playing EVE with Jim that he was raised in a pigeon loft by a mercenary group of freelance tabloid headline writers and had to produce copy for food* but I don't know about the rest of them.

*He says he's over that now.

Playing Quake 3 --> Applied for job at PC Gamer --> Didn't get it --> Wrote them an article about modems anyway --> Got a different job at PC Gamer --> reviewed Army Men games for three years --> Quit -->Wrote freelance for seven years ---> During that time RPS was set up ---> worked full time on RPS.

omg you lied

I came to RPS on discovering that Jim and Kieron were here, having bought PCG exclusively for their features and reviews. When you ex-PCG types say things like "reviewed Army Men games for three years", I assume that mostly a joke, but how much of that is a real bitterness about it?
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

There's no bitterness. It was the best job in the world. RPS is, in part, my attempt to recreate that.

I thoroughly recommend Jim's book This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities for an explanation of how he got started in games journalism, and why games matter.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by thomwong View Post
    I thoroughly recommend Jim's book This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities for an explanation of how he got started in games journalism, and why games matter.
    I thoroughly second this recommendation.

I third this. It shows the kind of passion that - I think - still fuels Jim's writing. Plus, it's an entertaining and well-written book.

Yeah, it's dope.

I am Mr Alec Meer, lord of hair Bonzrat's Avatar
    Work experience at PC Format > Job at PC Format > Freelancing for various games mags (inc. PC Gamer) while at Future > Leaving Future because they don't nurture writers and instead try to force staff down managerial routes > Going freelance > Making wild plans in a pub with Messrs Rossignol, Gillen and Walker > Tada.
    Peace through tyranny

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaulustiger View Post
    I third this. It shows the kind of passion that - I think - still fuels Jim's writing. Plus, it's an entertaining and well-written book.
    £16 on amazon for the paperback!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by duffster View Post
    £16 on amazon for the paperback!
    Read it for free online

http://www.digitalculture.org/books/this-gaming-life

Click the bit on the left

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Playing Quake 3 --> Applied for job at PC Gamer --> Didn't get it --> Wrote them an article about modems anyway --> Got a different job at PC Gamer --> reviewed Army Men games for three years --> Quit -->Wrote freelance for seven years ---> During that time RPS was set up ---> worked full time on RPS.
    I'm curious, what is your favourite Army Men game? I remember they made a ton of different games in different genres, but I only liked the original.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Left bedroom --> Went to office ---> Start writing.

<drumroll>Okay.

Reading Amiga Power --> Writing letters to Amiga Power --> One of AP's regular letter crazy folk --> Approached by AP writer in club and asked to do tips and stuff for them --> Pay for 2nd year of university --> AP Dies :( :( :( --> Finish degree --> Working bars, filling in job applications, writing zines -->Apply to PCG Tips --> Don't get the job --> Working bars, filling in job applications, writing zines --> Apply to PCG --> Do get the job --> Stay until become Dep Ed and leave --> Freelancer, forever, for everyone --> NGJ --> laughing, more freelancer --> Move in with Jim and he talks me into RPS --> MAKE RPS AND ENORMOUS SUCCESS --> Leave to write the X-men.

KG</drumroll>

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice-Fyre View Post
    Read it for free online

http://www.digitalculture.org/books/this-gaming-life

Click the bit on the left
    Or get it for 11 pounds (shipping included)
    from BookDepository.co.uk just as I did:
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/This.../9780472033973

Well worth the price!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by KieronGillen View Post
    Left bedroom --> Went to office ---> Start writing.

<drumroll>Okay.

Reading Amiga Power --> Writing letters to Amiga Power --> One of AP's regular letter crazy folk --> Approached by AP writer in club and asked to do tips and stuff for them --> Pay for 2nd year of university --> AP Dies :( :( :( --> Finish degree --> Working bars, filling in job applications, writing zines -->Apply to PCG Tips --> Don't get the job --> Working bars, filling in job applications, writing zines --> Apply to PCG --> Do get the job --> Stay until become Dep Ed and leave --> Freelancer, forever, for everyone --> NGJ --> laughing, more freelancer --> Move in with Jim and he talks me into RPS --> MAKE RPS AND ENORMOUS SUCCESS --> Leave to write the X-men.

KG</drumroll>
    Amiga Power love love love

Obscure Node
    Hi, I'm a big fan of the site!

Just registered to ask this somewhat related question:

You seem to have a very unified style of writing and to be honest it often feels like every article is written by same person. I don't mind it and I think it's very cool. Is there a some sort of editorial system that leads to this sort of outcome or are the articles always written solely by the author?

Quote Originally Posted by keely View Post
    Hi, I'm a big fan of the site!

Just registered to ask this somewhat related question:

You seem to have a very unified style of writing and to be honest it often feels like every article is written by same person. I don't mind it and I think it's very cool. Is there a some sort of editorial system that leads to this sort of outcome or are the articles always written solely by the author?
    .Hivemind.

Go on then.

Went to Uni to study business -> realised that just getting a degree probably wasn't enough to easilly get a fun, interesting and worthwhile job, so started SavyGamer as a side project in first year -> a friend of a friend saw on twitter that RPS were thinking about doing a weekly deal roundup, and I was terrified of the competition, so emailed them, and convinced them that I was better equipped to do it than they were -> after second year, I dropped out of uni to focus on SavyGamer full time - > was hideously poor for several years -> worked pretty hard for several years -> tricked RPS into letting me do other stuff too -> started earning liveable salary from SavyGamer earlier on this year.
    Last edited by Lewie Procter; 04-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.