Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [S4T] Schedule

Originally Posted by Boffinboots
    I don't mind running through the absolute basics...

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    and a vollunteer is found!
    *raises hand*

Professor Boffinboots, does this mean that the uniform of the day will be NC?
    And, if so, would there be any advantage to just listening in (as I have no NC character?)
    Thanks.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post

*raises hand*

And, if so, would there be any advantage to just listening in (as I have no NC character?)
    Thanks.
    While it's up to Boffin what he flies, the very basics aren't too different between the Reaver/Scythe. With that said, they do feel different, and they do fly differently. The Reaver has very strong Afterburner thrust, giving it a better top speed while Afterburning, and it can reverse easier. The Reaver can pretty much fly backwards from cold.

The Scythe can't reverse/burn as well, but it has different physics. The Scythe can basically rotate in flight without feeling much of the effects of gravity. When you turn a Reaver upside down, it starts to drop to terra firma. A Scythe can fly upside down, giving it some different turning/flying potential.

Apart from that, the 101 course in ESF flying should apply much the same to either ESF.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Pretty much what Carl said. For my part, it doesn't really matter where we are since I won't really demonstrate things as such. I think I will be in VS VR and people can be in whichever VR they want.

Although, depending on the time it's possible I will take people on a short stint on live (to talk about no-fly-areas and the like with real examples) and I'd prefer doing that on the VS side.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Originally Posted by Boffinboots
    I don't mind running through the absolute basics...

*raises hand*

Thanks.
    Since it's absolute basics it'd be good to all be together, so I'll do it in VS VR

Thanks, muchly!
    I intend on attending.

Also, is there any advantage in using a controller when flying in PS2?
    (You can just wait and answer that tomorrow, if you want. Just wrote it here because I will probably forget to ask during class.)
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks, muchly!
    I intend on attending.

Also, is there any advantage in using a controller when flying in PS2?
    (You can just wait and answer that tomorrow, if you want. Just wrote it here because I will probably forget to ask during class.)
    Do you mean a joystick or a gaming controller?

I know the general concensus is that joystick control isn't great in planetside (partly due to their inability to code analogue control right) but I don't know about gaming controller. Also some people do use joysticks (our own Roranor included) so it's personal preference. I think the best pilots use a keyboard+mouse setup.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Presumably the advantage of gamepads is that you can pitch 100% in different directions, which doesn't really work with a mouse. Haven't tried it myself though.

Most flying aficionados seem to bind pitch up/down to keyboard keys though. So for me E is pitch up and X pitch down. That does make a big difference, lets you pull manoeuvres that are impossible using just the limited mouse pitch.

Network Hub
    I would never recommend flying with a joystick/controller in this game. You need the accuracy of a mouse to land your shots.

Well, the reason I asked is that I'd recently purchased a game controller which I'd found quite useful on games such as Sonic Allstars, or Skydrift.
    But, of course, those games are nothing, at all, like PS2.
    I'm actually kinda glad that the keyboard/mouse seems to be the seasoned player's controlling device of choice, since that is what I know and use now.
    But, had the concensus gone the other way, with the controller being a huge advantage to flight (or driving, for that matter), I woulda felt compelled to use it.. and believe me, I'm destructive enough with a keyboard and mouse.

Thanks, again.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Presumably the advantage of gamepads is that you can pitch 100% in different directions, which doesn't really work with a mouse. Haven't tried it myself though.

Most flying aficionados seem to bind pitch up/down to keyboard keys though. So for me E is pitch up and X pitch down. That does make a big difference, lets you pull manoeuvres that are impossible using just the limited mouse pitch.
    Yep, this is the way to do it. Most people use keys for maximum pitch (when you're turning or manouvering) and the mouse for small adjustments when aiming.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    It might be better to start a new thread about flying or use the questions thread instead. Let's try to keep this about the S4T schedule so people know where to find information they need.
    Steam: Dominicus

Nest Sunday, PL, two sides of the Coin by Roranor and Nick. Micro VS Macro.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Roranor is micro? Harsh Dom, Harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    Roranor is micro? Harsh Dom, Harsh.

Other candidates coudl ahev been you and me. But these two volunteerd, so sadly I can not grand you your wish.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Other candidates coudl ahev been you and me. But these two volunteerd, so sadly I can not grand you your wish.
    Perhaps my humour didn't come out in translation - no wish from my end

This is a quick reminder for everyone!

No S4T next sunday. The week after that Liberator by Lakroy and support (I forgot who it was, sorry) and the week after that my personal favorit. Basic sunderers, by me.

No S4T next sunday.

Scrap that, Boffin just stepped up, so here in a new bundle:

"The Humble Burster Max"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Herro!

I didn't see this schedule in any useful format (Not that I'm grumpy), so I spent a few minutes entering it into something I can use. If it exists in a calendar feed I would love to have a link.
    If anyone else wants to have a S4T schedule on their phone, I will try to keep it updated so you can try the links below.

Anyone who wants to help me keep it updated: give me an email I can invite. It's just a google calendar.

I've replaced this with the calendar in the following thread:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...837#post494837

Sorry if anyone subscribed allready.
    Last edited by Grumpy; 31-05-2014 at 10:34 AM.

I know that there is info in the other thread, but is there any chance you could edit the first post in here to include the time S4T starts? This is the thread I come to, to check the schedule so would be nice to have the time right here beside it.