Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominions 3

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar

Dominions 3

Posting this is a mistake, because I can't set up a server and I'm probably overcommitting, time-wise.

I'm in the mood for a nice, slow-paced round of Dominions 3. One turn per week (maybe more at the initial start up). 5-6 players, small random map, which means it will last around 50 turns before a winner can be determined, which makes it a year.

Hosting would happen on a single day each week. No excuses, no delays, anyone (including me) not submitting a turn on that week gets an empty order instead. Maybe nominate an Adjutant (like the ever present President Weasel does for Blood Bowl) to submit turns in case of holidays.

Any takers? For a small random map setting, I would prefer Early Age, Indie Strength 6 and normal everything else, no mods, all nations allowed. But this is open to discussion. :)
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Posting this is a mistake, because I can't set up a server and I'm probably overcommitting, time-wise.

I'm in the mood for a nice, slow-paced round of Dominions 3. One turn per week (maybe more at the initial start up). 5-6 players, small random map, which means it will last around 50 turns before a winner can be determined, which makes it a year.

Hosting would happen on a single day each week. No excuses, no delays, anyone (including me) not submitting a turn on that week gets an empty order instead. Maybe nominate an Adjutant (like the ever present President Weasel does for Blood Bowl) to submit turns in case of holidays.

Any takers? For a small random map setting, I would prefer Early Age, Indie Strength 6 and normal everything else, no mods, all nations allowed. But this is open to discussion. :)

Would it not make more sense to try and set up a server somewhere which would be active all week long? That way everybody has more flexibility about taking their turns.

Oh, I was going to handle it traditionally with Drop Box. Of course you can take the turn whenever you want during the week, but at (for example) Thursday evening, 22:00 GMT, the turn gets resolved.

Alternatively, if anyone has access to a hosting server, I'd love to use that. (I know there used to be some for Dom3, but I haven't had a multiplayer Dominions match in ages.)
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Oh, I was going to handle it traditionally with Drop Box. Of course you can take the turn whenever you want during the week, but at (for example) Thursday evening, 22:00 GMT, the turn gets resolved.

Alternatively, if anyone has access to a hosting server, I'd love to use that. (I know there used to be some for Dom3, but I haven't had a multiplayer Dominions match in ages.)
    Hmm. Well, don't ask me. I don't actually own the game... it's on the list of games I keep thinking about buying and playing, buy never quite get round to it. If this game is going to be newbie friendly, I might go check and see how expensive the game is these days. (I'm guessing it's still as expensive as ever).

Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    Hmm. Well, don't ask me. I don't actually own the game... it's on the list of games I keep thinking about buying and playing, buy never quite get round to it. If this game is going to be newbie friendly, I might go check and see how expensive the game is these days. (I'm guessing it's still as expensive as ever).
    Short games tend to be newbie friendly - it's the long games that become a complex nightmare with wacky spell- and army-combinations. I'm more than happy to provide basic strategy and mechanic advice - I think I taught Dominions to at least 10 people who then proceeded to beat me soundly.

There was a sale on the game recently, but I admit it's still one of the most expensive strategy titles out there. Still worth it though, in my opinion. You can always check out the demo.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I checked out the demo a year or two ago. Very nearly bought the game too, but that was when it was only available via mail order. I've been holding off since on the (possibly mistaken) assumption that the publishers will realise that deep discounting of a very old game might make them a fair bit of money. And I don't want to spend $50 on a game only to find out that it's reduced to $10 the following month.

I might just give in and buy it though.

Hmm. When riadsala messaged me about there being a Dom3 game starting up I thought I'd give it a miss due to general busy-ness at the moment. However, if it's going to be a turn a week, count me in! Are we picking nations now or waiting until we have a full group? I'm a newb myself, played a couple of early age games against AI but not against humans.

(PS - VV, I've added you on Steam, I'm digital_pariah).

I'm open to suggestions. As I said, I'd prefer Early Age - the military advantage of some Middle Age or Late Age nations can be a killer on small random maps.

Let's see if we get two or three more people and see what happens - if you do have a very strong national preference, go ahead and post.

Mhmm, tempted to pick a suicide Oceania. Small Random maps probably means I'll sit in the lone puddle on the entire map. But the sirens are so much fun!

I'd love to get in on this, if that's alright. I don't mind which team I am, so others can take their pick.

Just an offer: I can host if you'd like, since I host 2-3 games of Dom3 at any given time. Although I don't have a server set up, I do have a system set up for timed games with a strict host-time. If you want to do it yourself though, that's fine with me. =)

Also, you might message Gandalf Parker. His server setup is extremely easy to use, and he's helped me with a couple timed-host games in the past. He generally does a 24-hour auto-host, but he told me that he can make custom host times. His site is here and he can also be reached on the Shrapnel forums. Very nice guy.

I'd be deliriously happy to have someone more reliable than me host. :)

Gandalf Parker is indeed a genius and a lovable guy, but the Shrapnelcrowd outstrips my own abilities SO FAR that I don't even dare to game with them anymore. A turn 15 defeat continues to be embarassing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    My resolve is starting to weaken...

@Vexing Vision

Yeah, those Shrapnel folks are intense. I'd be happy to host if you like.

@riadsala

Why?

The group I play with has always avoided strategy guides and forum posts about the game so as to not spoil it, since at the higher levels it's largely a numbers game and it could lose some of its fun and mystery. So while it's my favorite PBEM game, I'm not actually very good at it. I know the game's systems, but I don't know the thousand little tricks that the Shrapnel fellas use on a per-game basis.

EDIT: JB clarified for me. Yes, I'm apparently obtuse. Resolve, weaken away!
    Last edited by The Innocent; 08-09-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Network Hub
    I'm super interested in the game as it appears to have everything I'm looking for, but I just moved and purchased a new couch so I'm totally broke (although extremely comfortable!) I'll be keeping an eye on you folks in the event that I scrape some cash together.

Hmmm, I really like the game, but I'm rather new to it. I actually lost the first 2 games I played against the AI T~T
    If you don't mind having potentially clueless players, I'd like to participate.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ok, I think I'll have to jump in if there are going to be some other novice players. It's now or never I suppose.

I'm the same - I don't do number crunching, because Dominions STILL keeps me in its spell of mystery and so much atmosphere. I'll always play style over substance. :D

Looks like we have a good crowd! Let's see if we can get something started next week, as I have a wife's birthday to take care of this weekend.

Hmmm this looks like a pretty interesting game, but not sure I can justify the cost or time (already involved in FS, BB, SI, and WoW). Is it worth the steep price? And how long would it take to process the weekly turns?

Quote Originally Posted by desvergeh View Post
    Is it worth the steep price?
    Well that will be a matter for you to decide on. The demo is well worth a look to help with that though.

Quote Originally Posted by desvergeh View Post
    Hmmm this looks like a pretty interesting game, but not sure I can justify the cost or time (already involved in FS, BB, SI, and WoW). Is it worth the steep price? And how long would it take to process the weekly turns?
    From the AARs I've read, a medium-high level multiplayer game can have each turn can take over an hour. The first thirty or so will be a few minutes - it'll take you a while to have enough troops, commanders and spells to need to finesse anything. Things get considerably longer if you're facing a crucial battle and need to look up your opponent's strengths, test your setups and perfect your scripts.

Dominions is a game I love to read about, but can never justify buying for myself. It's a 55 dollar boardgame that you need 6 to 8 copies of to make fun, and you can't guarentee anyone you know will like it. If it was a fiver I'd probably be handing out copies to everyone I knew.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    From the AARs I've read, a medium-high level multiplayer game can have each turn can take over an hour. The first thirty or so will be a few minutes - it'll take you a while to have enough troops, commanders and spells to need to finesse anything. Things get considerably longer if you're facing a crucial battle and need to look up your opponent's strengths, test your setups and perfect your scripts.

Dominions is a game I love to read about, but can never justify buying for myself. It's a 55 dollar boardgame that you need 6 to 8 copies of to make fun, and you can't guarentee anyone you know will like it. If it was a fiver I'd probably be handing out copies to everyone I knew.
    Think I will just leave this one be for the time being. As you say if it were inexpensive I would go for it, but I have enough games ongoing that I can't really justify the price-tag on something I will only rarely play.

Maybe I will reconsider after trying the demo.

Good luck in the game guys.