Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominions 3

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    From the AARs I've read, a medium-high level multiplayer game can have each turn can take over an hour. The first thirty or so will be a few minutes - it'll take you a while to have enough troops, commanders and spells to need to finesse anything. Things get considerably longer if you're facing a crucial battle and need to look up your opponent's strengths, test your setups and perfect your scripts.

Dominions is a game I love to read about, but can never justify buying for myself. It's a 55 dollar boardgame that you need 6 to 8 copies of to make fun, and you can't guarentee anyone you know will like it. If it was a fiver I'd probably be handing out copies to everyone I knew.
    Think I will just leave this one be for the time being. As you say if it were inexpensive I would go for it, but I have enough games ongoing that I can't really justify the price-tag on something I will only rarely play.

Maybe I will reconsider after trying the demo.

Good luck in the game guys.

That's too bad. Of all the games I own, Dom3 is the game I've received the most use out of. It's helped me keep in touch with old friends, and we have 2-3 games ongoing at any given time. But I understand completely. It sounds intimidating and the price is breathtaking (I think because it's still Shrapnel Games' bestseller). For what it's worth, I don't find it quite so complicated as Nullkigan made it sound, at least at the level the folks here like to play it at.

But no worries! Hope you try the demo, as it's pretty good.

Well, according to what Vexing Vision outlined, it sounds like we have enough to start next week. We could have one more.

1- Vexing Vision (claimed Oceania)
    2- J.B. (claimed Marverni)
    3- The Innocent (claimed Lanka)
    4- Zyrden (claimed Sauromatia)
    5- riadsala
    Last edited by The Innocent; 12-09-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ok. I have taken the plunge.

My my my, it's been a while since i spent so much on a game.

Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    Ok. I have taken the plunge.

My my my, it's been a while since i spent so much on a game.
    My condolences to your wallet. /salute

So, no more takers as yet? There's still time...

Yep, we've definitely got room for one or two more. If you're afraid of taking the last spot... Don't be!

I'm going to claim Lanka, because I've never played them in a multi game. Editing my previous post to reflect this.

Gah! Devilmonkeys! Aiiiiiiiiiii!!!

I'll take Sauromatia.

I really bashing my mind here if to buy it or not. I know the game and played it on a not-so-close-friend pc before and enjoyed it. Yet I'm afraid that 60$ for a game like this is a silly price.
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

Lesser Hivemind Node
    can anybody recommend a good overview of the nations?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Alright! Back from a rather exhausting holiday.

Innocent, I'd be more than happy if you could host. I'll post up a summary of EA nations and which ones are suitable for less experienced players tonight, here in this very thread.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

@ Vexing Vision

Sure thing, I'll get it set up.

What day do we think would be good to start? I was thinking Thursday, as it gives some folks a few more days to pick a team and do a practice solo game. But whichever day people want, I'm fine with.

@ MasterBoo

I know exactly how you feel. It's a beastly price. For what it's worth, I think it's the best value for a game that I've paid in years. Of course, that might not be worth much. =D

Alright!

Welcome to Vex' Voracious adVice vor neVbies.

There's a lot of versatility to each individual nation, but basically, your first choice is:

a) Do I want to throw fireballs at people?
    b) Do I want to crush my enemies and drive them before me with the power of steel?
    c) Do I want to sneak around and try to play clever only to be butchered because I forgot my entire army fled?
    d) Do I want to sit underwater and just wait for the game to be over, secure in the knowledge that while I can't make landfall, most nations can't bother me under water? (That's my option this game!)
    e) Do I want to field Regenerating Paladins with Flaming Deathblow Weapons and screw my economy?

Arcoscephale is an excellent beginner nation. Very greek, good troops, very useful mages. a, b and e are all very valid strategies.

Ermor is another excellent beginner nation. Your legions in Early Age are quite powerful and cheap to field, and the death magic of your priests and mages is very useful to summon up some additional troops on the battlefield. Also, Valkyries make e) the hottest thing ever.

Ulm is tricky to play in Early Age (and dead easy in Medium), because you only have a few troops that realized that bare chest = ouch. Earth Magic makes some interesting combat spells after a couple of turns though, that's excellent against light and medium armored troops.

Marverni is just like Ulm. Bare chest = manly = ouch an arrow. Easy access to nature magic makes sure your troops don't starve as easily though, if you can field enough of them. And nature summons are quite nice and cheap.

Sauromatia consists of scary, fast and lightly-armored dinosaur cavalry. If they hit you, it hurts big. If you hit them, they're dead. Fun, but tricky.

T'ien Ch'i has excellent troops (especially archers and cavalry archers) which are tricky to deploy for beginners. However, they have the strongest national summons. If magic and faith are your thing, that's T'ien Ch'i but you need a few turns to get things going.

Don't play Mictlan unless you know what you're doing. And if you know what you're doing, you're not playing Mictlan in the first place.

Abysia is a very easy nation of fiery half-demon things. So you don't have any archers, but your fireball lobbing mages make up for that, and your infantry is the heaviest around.

Caelum is tricky. Great access to Air Magic which becomes incredibly powerful later in the game for damage spells. Flying troops tend to die amazingly quick though and need a bit of practice setting up. Potentially very powerful, but also very tricky.

C'tis has access to both nature and death while fielding tons of cheap troops. Very cool priests, but you need to resupply your troops all the time because the horde must die!

Pangaea allows you to sneak around. The cheap temples make it a moderately easy nation. Just rely on your high dominion and sneak around to catch undefended provinces unaware.

Agartha is a tricky nation. Your troops have a LOT of hitpoints. Unfortunately, they're also blind and can't hit a cavetroll. They're the perfect meatshields once you find other troops that actually do something. Easy once you get started, but tricky in the first few rounds.

Tir na n'Og + Fomoria - I actually never really played them. Good allrounders, if I remember correctly.

Vanheim, Helheim - excellent cavalry units that mirror image themselves and are pretty hard to kill. Slightly expensive. Best access to individual heroes if you want to forge some magical items and equip individual troops.

Niefelheim - all you need is Gold, some Gold and even more Gold. The Giant army is impressive in power and health, but the upkeep is so expensive! Make sure your dominion produces MUCH income.

Kailasa - if goblins were like apes, Kailasa would be a goblin-nation. That is all. Sticks and stones the apes keep throwing may hurt the manly Marverni or Ulm-warriors, but that's it.

Yomi - tricky nation. Your troops are very hard to kill... unless the opponent has any kind of priest. Which they will.

Atlantis, R'lyeh, Oceania - Underwater is your best friend. Atlanteans have access to nicely armored troops, R'lyeh blasts minds and Oceania is happiest in a full underwater map. They dry out fast outside the water.

Gods, Dominions and Faith

The real trick begins once you selected your nation. Your pretender god is a lot more than a single unit.

There are four kinds of Gods:
    a) Super Combatants - where early or later in the game, the God or Goddess goes out and starts killing enemy armies on its own, usually outfitted with a few nice items. Classic Super Combatants are the Vampire Queen, the Black or White Bull or the Colossus. Phoenix and Lich make interest Super Combatants with destructive late-game spells because they are immortal and reform at home when a soul sucking vortex of kill everything... killed everything.

b) Junkfood - putting no meaningful points into your pretender means you have a lot of points to spend on your dominion. Who needs a powerful God if your realm generates half a dozen magical items each turn, everyone is happy and productive, the treasury fills faster than you can look and the faith of your temple spreads to the farthest corners.

c) Rainbow Mages - Having access to a lot of different magics means that searching for magical sources and crafting magical items is very easy. You also generate a lot of research. Rainbow mages tend to become mostly line fodder in the end game though.

d) Faithful - having one line of magic being really high provides very powerful effects to all your sacred troops (once they're blessed). A high nature for example provides regeneration. Which means if your enemy doesn't kill your sacred troops with a blow, they just keep regenerating. Or a high Fire provides them with armor-piercing flaming weapons, which handily also kill magical beings.

Try to pick something that works out with the nation you had. If you have powerful priests and powerful sacred troops (Helheim, Arcoscephale, Atlantis, Niefelheim), you might want to consider going for d). Nations that require a lot of gold (Arcoscephale, Niefelheim, Abysia) should go for a Junkfood pretender - don't bother giving him more than a few points in a random magic you like the colour of, but crank up Order, Productivity and Growth!

Notice how I mentioned Niefelheim and Arcoscephale twice? It's that kind of game.

If you have any questions about any mechanics, shout me a PM or ask here. Let the games begin! On Thursday.

And yes, the prize of admission is worth it, if you like this kind of games.

And finally:

I'd like to play Oceania. I have a fondness for underwater nations, but I have yet to win a landwar with anything but Late Age Atlantis.

Great, Oceania is reserved for you then!

The current list is as follows:

1- Vexing Vision (claimed Oceania)
    2- J.B. (claimed Marverni)
    3- The Innocent (claimed Lanka)
    4- Zyrden (claimed Sauromatia)
    5- riadsala

We have room for one or two more, so if you're on the fence and you want in, just let us know!

We're doing this by Dropbox, so you'll need a Dropbox account, and I'll need you to PM me your email address associated with that account. Once I have all that in, I can send everyone a list of instructions much more easily through Dropbox.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well, if Ermor are at good pick for beginners, and I'm a beginner, I'll pick Ermor.

Okay. Bought!

Which nation you recommend for a play style that involves a Super Combatant god?
    Also can anyone reminds me what happens if your pretender dies in combat?

Are we playing with the 3.27 patch?
    Last edited by MasterBoo; 13-09-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

If your God dies and is not immortal (Lich, Vampire Queen, Phoenix are all Immortal and reform automagically if slain within an area of friendly faith), you need to set your priests to reawaken him or her or it. Each priest contributes his priest levels (these come from 1 to 3, and in extreme cases even 4 or 5) per round. Once you reach 40, the god reforms - slightly weakened, you lose one skill from all magic pathes. This is lovely if you don't have any magic pathes to begin with. :)

Atlantis has access to the Wyrm, which is a nice super combatant that doesn't need much magic to buff itself and be a real terror. I think Helheim gets the Vampire Queen.